Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2020, 05:12 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So is it now running with the muffler on or off?

Edit -- I guess you have started a new thread about cleaning the muffler: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...as-211798.html

So the muffler is off and the gen is noisy, and possibly creating sparks in the exhaust?

Curious if you have been keeping track of your total labor hours on this project, including trips to the stores for parts etc.?

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
Starts then immediately stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
My EU1000 was low on oil and had the same symptom. The oil light would come on for a second or less, but it is easy to miss.
The 2000i has an auto shut off if the oil level is low. Works for me!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
I just pulled the mufflers off my 2 EU2000's. I used a air hose to blow out the muffler. Both of the mufflers blew brown/black out of the motor side and nothing out the exit side. But I can hear air moving through the muffler both directions. The service manual said to use cleaning solvent to clean the fuel tank not alcohol. I'm assuming that carburetor cleaner would be close to solvent.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Clogged spark arrestor?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
I just pulled the mufflers off my 2 EU2000's. I used a air hose to blow out the muffler. Both of the mufflers blew brown/black out of the motor side and nothing out the exit side. But I can hear air moving through the muffler both directions. The service manual said to use cleaning solvent to clean the fuel tank not alcohol. I'm assuming that carburetor cleaner would be close to solvent.
I'd start with carb cleaner, then move to the manual prescribed propane torch to burn off any remaining carbon. (after drying, of course). This is akin to a diesel particulate filter burn off during the regen mode.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
Thanks.
To clarify, it’s the whole muffler that is clogged. Not the arrestor screen.

One guy mentioned that you can buy larger quantities of carb or brake cleaner to dip parts into..

Another person mentioned techron (fuel additive/cleaner)
groundhogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
The bolt that holds the bowl on carb assembly has a jet in it...take the bolt out, run a leader wire through every available orifice..then spray carb cleaner & do it again..
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Arnold View Post
The bolt that holds the bowl on carb assembly has a jet in it...take the bolt out, run a leader wire through every available orifice..then spray carb cleaner & do it again..
NEVER run a wire through any jet. Maybe a plastic bristle, but not anything metal. Carb cleaner and air only. If that don't do it try an ultrasonic jewelery cleaner.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
Original Poster:
It turned out to be a completely clogged muffler.
But if your motor does the same thing, go ahead and wade through all of these posts as just about every possible thing to try was suggested.
groundhogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Roswell , Georgia
EU2200i starts but stops immediately - SOLVED

I figured this out in bed one night. It occurred after I left the generator outside but covered in the springtime. I use only alcohol-free gas so I would not expect a carburetor problem. Seemed to start fine (spark plug ok) but would stop immediately. Inspected exhaust pipe and saw evidence of yellow pollen. Removed muffler (easy) and spark arrester...I could not blow through the exhaust pipe. The muffler was heavy like some bumblebee made a home in there. I tried starting the generator without the muffler and it started right up. Ordered a replacement muffler, $29 before shipping.
trearick is offline   Reply With Quote