Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
electricity

I have a 66 Safari, bought last week. The cord that came with it is a 110 on both ends, but I can tell that they attached a female 110 on one end. Somthing tells me they rigged it up like that so they could plug it into their garage?? Does anyone know what kind of power cord I need to purchase. The bumber says something about 110/125.... I have a pole with a socket put in just for travel trailers and I noticed at the camping place that all the cords were 110 on one end and something larger on the other - none of them were 110 on both ends.

Do I have to start a new thread everytime I want to ask a question?
jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
jwilson,
I am not sure what is supposed to be stock on a '66, but the larger cable ends you speak of are 30 amp plugs. The 30 amp connection is needed to run things like AC and microwave that draw a lot of current. Most campgrounds have 30 amp services that the trailers will plug into. There are 30 to 15 amp adaptors so you can plug your trailer into a regular house outlet and power things like the 12V system, refrigerator, etc...

Hopefully somebody will chime in ant tell you what amperage service a '66 has.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson
I have a 66 Safari, bought last week. The cord that came with it is a 110 on both ends, but I can tell that they attached a female 110 on one end. Somthing tells me they rigged it up like that so they could plug it into their garage?? Does anyone know what kind of power cord I need to purchase. The bumber says something about 110/125.... I have a pole with a socket put in just for travel trailers and I noticed at the camping place that all the cords were 110 on one end and something larger on the other - none of them were 110 on both ends.

Do I have to start a new thread everytime I want to ask a question?
Your trailer originally came with a hard wired 110 volt AC 30 amp cable.

The plug is larger than a household plug, because it was a 30 amp plug.

A 30 amp to 15 amp adapter was used so that you could plug the trailer into a standard outlet.

You must use caution when using that adapter, since the AC alone draws all of that 15 amps, resulting in a melted adapter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote