Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Brevard , North Carolina
Electrical woes

My husband live full time in our AS, and after 3 months of glitch free electrical use (minus having to replace the old weak battery and some fuses), all of a sudden our furnace (new) wont click on, the kitchen vent fan, vent lights over the kitchen, and electric jack no longer work. We have replaced every fuse, checked with aluminum foil to see which circuit it is (no use) that could be bad, and come up with nothing. We are about to have an RV repairman come out, but before they do I am hoping someone could give us some tips, or tell us somewhere else to look for issues. The univolt is working, every other electrical 12 volt outlet and light work, the only thing we've done different is replacing the old battery with a deep cell (which made all the lights way brighter). Does this mean we're going to have to rewire?? Also, we have the service manual for the AS and it looks like all these things are wired close together.
NwilcoxM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sounds like you have fuse problem. When is Mr. Fixit coming over?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It is all 12volt

Everything you mentioned is 12volt. The fact that you had major improvement when you put in a new battery leads me to believe your Univolt has a problem and a 12volt fuse along with it. If your testing the system with "aluminum foil" I'd suggest you rely on a repairman with some more experience.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is a guess, but that vintage Airstream used a fuse panel which had it's fuse clips riveted to the main buss bar. It is not at all uncommon that everything looks good with the fuses but the holders are loose. They are difficult, if not impossible to repair or replace and eventually you may need a new fuse panel, but you might be able to work around it for now.

Here is what I would do prior to calling in the big guns. Buy a single fuse holder, the blade type and some 15 amp fuses. They come with 4" leads on either end. Find a source of 12 volt power which is good, as close to the battery as possible. Hook one end of the fuse holder to that source. Then take the other end (you may need to extend the wire) and touch it to each of the smaller color coded wires which leave the fuse panel. They will all be next to each other, and of various colors, and the same size wires. Those are the branch circuit wires.

I am suspecting that you will find that one or more of them now will do something, like restore your furnace and other lights and fans that are not operating. If that does work, then your fuse panel is in fact more or less toast, but you can use other new single fuse holders to work around the defective individual fuses.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It sounds like you have a problem with more than one circuit. I would think the tongue jack would be on a different circuit.
I would start by checking the battery connections, since the circuits involved has motors. Which draw heavier current than lights.
The next step would be to identify which of the circuits
You can do this by turning everything on in the coach. Then pull one fuse at a time and make notes of what goes off. Unless the owners manual ID's the circuits.
You say you have replaced the fuses. Are the fuses tight in their holders? Are the holders tight to the buss. If you can rotate the clips. They are not tight anymore.
Are there signs of the connection points over heating?
Is the insulation of the wires discolored where they attach to the fuse holder? Another sign of overheating.
Are the wire connections clean and tight where they connect to the fuse holder?
If you have a light that works correctly turned on. Does it go out or get dim when you try to run the exhaust fan?
Is this the original Univolt?
Is the fuse panel in the end of the Univolt?
What is the voltage between the + and - buss in the Univolt?
I believe it is time to upgrade to a new three stage converter and a new MODERN fuse block.
Especially if you are full timing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Brevard , North Carolina
Good to know

We have replaced all the fuses, and the univolt is humming, and all other 12 volt lights work, but I will work on the fuse panel and fuse ends next. Thanks for the responses!
I hadn't thought of them all having motors, that's interesting. It is the original from what I've gathered.
We are newbies at almost everything lol, but especially electrical bc this is our first issue we've had since we've bought it (June '13), but does checking the battery connections mean just the wires going from the battery to the univolt?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
There is no such thing as a good, 40-year old Univolt.
Please replace it immediately with an Iota DLS-55 or a Progressive Dynamics converter-charger with Charge Wizard.
Only then can you seriously troubleshoot your 12 volt electrical system.
It's the first thing I do when I buy a new, old Airstream. It was even the first thing I did on our 2007 Classic 30.
With you husband living in the Airstream full time, the Univolt is going to cook any battery you put in it.
P.S. Take no reassurance from a "humming" Univolt.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Brevard , North Carolina
power converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
There is no such thing as a good, 40-year old Univolt.
Please replace it immediately with an Iota DLS-55 or a Progressive Dynamics converter-charger with Charge Wizard.
Only then can you seriously troubleshoot your 12 volt electrical system.
It's the first thing I do when I buy a new, old Airstream. It was even the first thing I did on our 2007 Classic 30.
With you husband living in the Airstream full time, the Univolt is going to cook any battery you put in it.
P.S. Take no reassurance from a "humming" Univolt.
Is online the best place to buy a new power converter? Also is there a certain size/brand that will fit for sure?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Get a Paralax...Look on EBAY and shop the prices...they vary greatly. Get a fuse panel too. You can find great deals on EBAY boat Parts...electrical parts. Or, buy from the best and get any reliable advice from Best Converter
Old 10-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Brevard , North Carolina
mr. fix-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Sounds like you have fuse problem. When is Mr. Fixit coming over?
I haven't scheduled an appointment. We are trying to move it ASAP, but we can't move till the jack is fixed. Oh the life...
Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Can you hand crank the jack?

If not, see if the RV park maintenance guy will help
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Progressive Dynamics

Sorry to hear about your problem...electrical problems can be very frustrating. I agree with Ken...I would replace your UniVolt. Ours continued to hum away while cooking the battery. Once that goes...no 12v. Deep cycle battery was probably charged and you noticed an increase in your lights. But a bad Univolt will ruin it as well. We have used Progressive Dynamics in several trailers and our motorhome with the charge wizard. I believe they were all PD9245C's. Easy to install and very reliable. Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck!

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I just posted to a similar thread/problem a few days ago regarding the fuse panel and converter. This seems to be a common problem in Vintage trailers. I had the same issues with my previous 72 Overlander. Hopefully this helps you...

Mine is a 77 Sovereign. Bad connections in the 12v panel caused intermittent outages. I quite easily rebuilt the panel using automotive blade type fuse blocks (found at auto parts stores) and the 50 amp fuse blocks from high end automotive audio systems. It was a clean swap out following the schematic from the Airstream manual to insure proper circuit connections. My trailer came with an Iota DLS-55 amp converter, of which I added the 3 stage intelligent charger to it so as not to fry the battery. Now, all systems and circuits are working flawlessly.

I realize you are on the road right now, so a complete change out would probably not be feasible. However, some of the other posts suggesting you test the individual circuits could get you rolling again. As good as glass fuses and their connections look, often times they are problematic. Before I did my big swap out, I would simply twist the fuse in the holder. This sometimes breaks the corrosion (not always visible) and makes for a better connection. Or pull the fuse and with a piece of sandpaper, rough up the connectors. Changing out fuses to known good fuses is essential also.

The condition of your battery at this point is probably not good.

Good luck!

A before.. and some afters of the fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fusepanela.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	856.1 KB
ID:	199071   Click image for larger version

Name:	fusepanel.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	644.3 KB
ID:	199072  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fusepanel2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	829.5 KB
ID:	199073  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Contact Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He is a forum commercial member and can probally answer all of your questions and provide you with the proper convertor for your setup. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Idea from adonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Contact Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He is a forum commercial member and can probally answer all of your questions and provide you with the proper convertor for your setup. You won't be sorry.
As for Parallax as recommended by Melody Ranch, I am puzzled.
Airstream was installing Parallax converters in Airstreams for a long time, and that is what I took out just as soon as I got our 2007. It was a real battery boiler. I believe that is why they are so readily available on EBay. Perhaps Melody can clarify and and my misgivings can be disregarded.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
OOps ....I meant Progressive Dynamics. I use 'em in all my Airstreams. Never a problem (yet?)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Brevard , North Carolina
I'll start looking

Thanks to everyone for all your help, we will get started on shopping around for a power converter, charger and a fuse panel, hopefully that will fix it. When it comes to replacing the old univolt with the new, can someone walk me through it? Or should I have the RV repairman do it? Again, we are so so new, and have done some plumbing and propane repairs, but nothing electrical. I'll post pics soon of what we have done!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwilcoxM View Post
Thanks to everyone for all your help, we will get started on shopping around for a power converter, charger and a fuse panel, hopefully that will fix it. When it comes to replacing the old univolt with the new, can someone walk me through it? Or should I have the RV repairman do it? Again, we are so so new, and have done some plumbing and propane repairs, but nothing electrical. I'll post pics soon of what we have done!
I repeat. Contact Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He is a forum commercial member and can probally answer all of your questions and provide you with the proper convertor for your setup. You won't be sorry.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Yep.....get rid of your 'hummer'.

Our P-lax now resides on the bench, living it's life as a 12v power supply, never to be married to a battery again.

Bob
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

I repeat. Contact Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He is a forum commercial member and can probally answer all of your questions and provide you with the proper convertor for your setup. You won't be sorry.
I'll firmly back that up. Call Randy! Loving our IOTA from Best Converter which in turn loves our AGM batteries.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote