Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

electrical system diagram

I've gotten some great suggestions in the past couple weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my latest dilemma. I'm looking for some kind of overall electrical schematic for a 1967 Sovereign. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to know how to properly rewire mine (I bought one for $1175 on Ebay, you can imagine the interior condition...).

I'm also pretty unfamiliar with the purpose for dual 110v and 12v systems. Why are the two necessary, and, is it more practical (albeit less traditional) to rewire with only 12v? If anyone in the Fort Collins, CO, area wants to stop by to actually discuss this with me, there's a case of Fat Tire in it for you! (I work at the brewery...)

Thanks--

JP
--Yoda
duckrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
Send a message via MSN to rbyrnesanmateo
JP,

my first question to you is, are you going to gut your trailer, and if so are you going to put it back together in its original design, if you go back to an original design then a schematic would probably be helpful but if not a good understanding each of the different systems would be the most important thing.

brake, running and reverse lights and electric brakes which are controlled or powered by your tow vehicle

110 volt system, possible needs ac unit, water heater, refrigerator, hair dryer a must for the wife and any other appliance you might want to plug in.

12 volt systems, possible needs vent fans, lighting, ignitors for propane water heater, multi power refrigerator, radio, tv, sensors and ect. ect....

now that the basics are understood now its time to understand the limitations of each system and know how each system works.

I'm in the process of gutting my 02' as international and yesterday removed 90% of the electrical wiring and carefully tracted each wiring especiallaly sensor wires and brake and running lights wiring, for the rest of the wiring I'm not concerned about since I'm going to install a custom interior, with the understanding of the limitations of the univolt system my trailer has.

the univolt system has three basic functions it manages your 110 volt system, 12 volt system and also charges your battery when plugged into shore power.

did I forget to mention I'm an electrician.

if you have any question feel free to call me @ 650-270-7632 between 5pm & 9pm pacific time I don't do well on the computer.

good luck,
bob
Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Bob, I'll definitely give you a ring to clear up a couple questions I have!

I have already gutted the trailer pretty well (there was nothing original inside to begin with, except maybe the power sockets... thus the $1175 price tag), and I'm not remodeling for an original design, so I suppose just a good understanding of the needs is best.

Is it correct that the vintage airstreams do not have a univolt? Or is that the brand name of the battery they used? I read another thread that suggested to wire a forklift battery even for some of the larger AS??? How would such a battery be wired into the system?

If I wire a battery (or two) to the two honda 2000i generator system (or yamaha 3000, or honda 3000i), my understanding is that there is no need for an inverter, since those generators produce clean electricty for running computers, t.v., etc. Is this correct?

Beer offer still stands for CO residents... thanks!

JP
--Yoda
duckrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Question

: got 76 landyaught. backup lights burn all time--solution, remove bulbs ?
rockcutter is offline   Reply With Quote