Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I would suggest you torque the connections in your breaker box. Torque screwdriver is what to use as you tighten to inch pounds.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Brentone,
Glad you got it fixed and can continue on with a fun weekend.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
So the OP's surge protector would not protect him from this occurrence? Is it because the electrical problem originated inside the AS versus the outside power cord? Thanks.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
So the OP's surge protector would not protect him from this occurrence? Is it because the electrical problem originated inside the AS versus the outside power cord? Thanks.
Hi

A surge protector will never help in a situation like this. An EMS would be the thing to have. ( We toss around the terms like they are same / same. Unfortunately they are not).

An EMS at the post protects you from faults "upstream" of the post. An EMS located somewhere in the RV protects you from faults upstream of that point.

In this case the fault was in the cable. That's past the post, but ahead of anything in the trailer. An EMS in the trailer would have caught the fault.

Some trailer faults happen at the breaker panel. Those faults would not be caught , even by an EMS mounted in the RV. It would catch cable and connector faults, but not the others.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Bon Air , Virginia
Home safely and had a great weekend in spite of our issue. Thanks again for the well wishes and feedback.

Bob - I think you're right about the charger converter. Did not meter it but never saw better than 12.5 volts on the panel (normally 13.6 when connected to shore power) after my connection issue and 12 volt accessories saw that drop to 12.1 volts right before we hooked up truck to leave.

Yes, I will certainly be ordering an EMS. Uncertain if I'd do the wired model unless there is great merit here - If I understand correctly, the only thing it may catch beyond a pole-mounted unit is the situation I just had, seems like a narrow possibility for the future. Inherited the surge protector with the coach when I bought it and never replaced it, as I should have, with an EMS. I intend to replace the connector on my 50 amp cable (maybe with Smart Plug, still debating) as the RV shop only had a 50 amp to 30 amp cord in stock that will now serve as my backup.

All my best,
Brenton
Brentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

EMS locations:

Out on the pole is best if you expect a lightning strike to turn it into a giant ball of flame. At least my experience with nearby strikes has been, that's not how it usually plays out.

Inside is better if you worry about things going walk about. It also lets you mount an internal display to see what's going on. It protects against the problem you already have seen. It also protects against connect / disconnect ( wrong part of connector mates first) issues on a 50A plug. ( Not a big deal if you run 30A though ...). Your EMS is never sitting out in the rain rusting away if it's inside. Finally, it's one less thing to lug back and forth each time you set up / tear down.

Yes, I am a bit biassed ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote