Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2003, 08:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Need help with 12 Volt system

On my l961 Overlander I can get no 12 volt lights to work, all lights and recepticals work on 120 V.

I have 2 reds and a green leads in the btry box with inline fuses, I can not find any other box of any kind in the trailer except the breaker box for the 120 volt system. I have a on/off switch over the sink that I think goes to the pump, it has a line in the box the same color as the line going to the pump. I removed the furnace from the trailer and cut the wires from it, it had 2 wires for 120V and 2 wires for 12V and 2 wires to the thermistat. the 2-120V are hot. I can get nothing from the 12V. one 12V wire is a ground going to the trailer wheel well. the other the same color as the one at the pump, I hooked a 12V light bulb between the two, no light and nothing from the switch over the sink. I disconnected the 120V from the trailer thinking this may be the reason, no luck. I've read the other forum problems such as this, seems there is a box or breakers that I can't find for this 12V system.
I have to light sockets at each light fixture, 1-120V and a 12V I would think. I am using 12V bulbs to check the 12V system. Can someone please give me a starting place to work with this problem. I can not find a 12V hot wire anywhere in the system other than after the inline breakers going into the wall.
Someone please tell me something. I need help....Thanks...Dave...
Old 12-31-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Is there a screw-in fuse block on the front wall, behind the couch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse003.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	4280  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
electrical problem

Greetings David!

This suggestions is based upon a 1960 Overlander which in many ways is very similar to your 1961. One of my friends owns a '60 Overlander, and in this trailer there is a fuse block that utilizes round screw-in type fuses (the type normally used in home wiring of the time period) that serves the 12-volt system. This fuse block was located under the front lounge and was disguised with an aluminum cover that I believe was attached with clips and one or two set screws. I don't know that you will find this to be the case with your '61, but it might be worth checking - - the block was on the front wall below the window in direct line with the front mounted battery box. The problem with the fuse block was that corrossion had taken its tole on the contacts and the fuses would no longer seat properly.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Kevin for the info. Look and found a small plate behind couch, sure enough there it was. now, does the wall recepticals work on 12V, all lights work but no plug ins work another box somewhere maybe or am I as for as 12V's go. Thanks....Dave....
Old 12-31-2003, 11:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to you also Markdoane, I thought your answer and Kevin's were the same answer until I looked at them again. Thanks.....Dave.....
Old 12-31-2003, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
electrical problem

Greetings Dave!

I am not terribly familiar with the electrical layout of the '60/'61 Overlander beyond the 12-volt. I wouldn't expect any of the standard house-type electrical outlets to be anything other than shore powered - - you might, however, have a light switch in the coach that controls the flow of AC power - - I have one in my '64 Overlander that controls AC power to two outlets in the coach as well as to the original power converters for the vent fans that were a part of the original roof vents. I know that there is a similar switch in my friend's '60 Overlander that controls AC power to the furnace blower motor as well as to one or two other outlets. On my '64 the switch is above the sink beside the over-sink window. On m friend's '60 Overlander, I believe the switch is accessed through one of the below-sink cabinet doors.

I am certain that you will also find a fuse or circuit breaker box for the AC electric system, but I am uncertain to its location. By '64 Airstream had converted to the one-stop service center and both 12-volt and AC fuse panels are in the rear street-side corner. I would suspect that the AC fuse/circuit breaker box would not be too far distant from the power cord entrance point on your '61.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Dave:
I don't think there are any 12V outlets anywhere. If their were, they would probably look like cigar lighters.
I you have 120v lights but no 120v power to the outlets, you either have a switch that's off, or you have a breaker thats tripped.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to the both of you Markdoane and Kevin, I got most of my electrical problems done today, thanks to you, I still have a toilet and a Water heater to go, getting new but will need help I'm sure. Thanks again.....Dave....