Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
electrical improvement for under $0.10

I finally got around to doing something that should have done by AS and it's already paid a dividend. My fusebox lists the fuses by circuit, e.g. circuit #1, circuit #2, etc., but doesn't say what equipment is serviced by what fuse. To make it easier to troubleshoot, I took the wiring diagram and traced out all the items serviced by each separate fuse/circuit. This chart now resides on the inside of the fuse box door. Sure makes it easier to figure what may have caused a fuse to blow-wish I had done this sooner.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Karma coming at you. Good one!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Nice idea!

And the tips just keep coming.....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This is the kind of information that we need. Keep it coming.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
marco island , Florida
i talked to aristream on this very topic last week....i just purchased an 07 classic and was amazed at the shoddy workmanship in the electrical area under the front sofa...nothing tagged...wires hanging/running everywhere...i too spent time with the diagram and fixed the problem....nothing worse than trying to figure out an electrical problem in 100 degree heat...by the way...the airstream customer service amnager said...sometimes...depending on the technician..they do tag wires...unbelievable...van
vpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Van, what most here don't understand is that the technology...if you care to call it that, of RV building, comes from the early mobile home arena. Like all production items a premium is placed on speed and cost during the assembly process.
That's why today even with so many years of building the Airstream shell we still see shoddy workmanship.
If you want to see a rats nest of wire just pull a vintage AS motorhome instrument panel apart.
How well is your new trailer insulated? I'm still at a loss on this topic. With all we know about energy efficiency and how solar gainful our coaches are how can we not get a better quality of insulation put in an Airstream.
I've been working on my old Coachman bookmobile this week in hopes of selling it finally. I'm amazed at how much quieter and well insulated that coach is vs. the AS. Don't get me wrong I'm not going back. Just am like you wondering how they keep making the same mistakes over and over again?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I live for anecdotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
... This chart now resides on the inside of the fuse box door. ...
In what appears to be a thing of the past, the house I grew up in had electric wall heaters in each room and a cental fuse box, as opposed to a breaker box, to supply power to everything. Although the house was only 1500 or so square feet in size, the box had quite a number of fuses.

Times then were lean, and my dad, who was extremely uncomfortable around electricty, used to pull the 200A cartridge-fuse main anytime he had to replace the outlet behind the sofa after it got smushed when one of the three kids launched ourselves, from a running start, into the television's best viewing spot.

Entering my early teenage-years, I discovered a certain fascination with electricity & home wiring, and decided to create a chart showing which fuse controlled what since, by proving that I had yet to electrocute myself, my dad "allowed" me to take over smushed outlet replacement responsibilities.

It was a glorious chart constructed with a straightedge & an Underwood Standard typewriter. I should have called the Tullahoma News to snap a shot of it. Subsequent to it's construction, if a light switch quit or an outlet went kaput, one quick look at The Chart revealed exactly which fuse needed to be removed for the offending part's R&R process.

Then, one day Mother's dryer quit. Opening the fuse box's door, I found that one of the two fuses on the dryer's 240 volt circuit had literally blown with enough fanfare to totally incinerate The Chart. I still remember that smell of smoked bakelite.

But you're probably okay with your chart.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Great story, well do I remember the fuse panel on our 1915 house.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote