Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Washington , Washington, D.C.
Electrical Hookup at home site- Getting Started

There are so many great threads here, but I can't find the most basic.

I've recently purchased an '86 Excella. It's primary use will be permanent extra housing at my property.

I want to bring electric to the site I levelled for the AS. It's about 500 feet from my house, 400 feet from the electric company.

I don't know whether I need the electric company to run a new service to the site, or if I can run a line from the existing panel at my house?

Either way, I don't know what to tell my electrician I (how many Amps(?) what kinds of outlets to install to plug into, etc.

Please help a novice. Thanks!
Acewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Your electrician should kwow, but I would think at least 50 amps. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I agree your electrician will know however you will need a 30 amp service @ 120 volts. Your biggest issue is distance. With the distances listed you will need at least 2-4 awg wire for both supply wires and 10awg for your ground wire. Distance will be an issue even if you have the power company drops a new service.

All the best.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Ace

Welcome to the forums.

Unless your Excella has dual air conditioners (most from that era don't) it is probably wired for 120V 30A service. With the trouble and expense you may want to put in some extra outlets, possibly including 120/240V 50A service, to allow for future changes.

A 500 foot electrical run will be costly but if that's where the trailer has to go you may have few options.

Usually aluminum wire is most cost effective. It is widely used for long underground runs. For 30a service, you will need 1 AWG aluminum to get the voltage drop down to a manageable level. For 50a service it would have to be 1/0 or larger:

Voltage Drop Calculator

And so that's around $1200 worth of cable (for two strands of 1/0 and a smaller ground):

http://www.shawsupply.com/catalog_pa...aw_A_10-07.pdf

The cable can be direct buried, and you're probably best off paying an electrician to do it because they will use a cable plow, making it a fairly easy job.

The other alternative is that you can work with your power company. They could put in another transformer and meter close to the parking location. Sometimes they will do this at their expense but then you'll be paying a minimum monthly charge for them to maintain the service and read the meter.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Sooner or later you will probably want a shed back ther to keep tools, etc. Then youll need a compressor. Then youll be sorry if you cant do 220. How about a water source? Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I agree with jammer about pulling extra power while your at it. I would think that a 50amp sub panel would be enough however when I installed mine I used a 100amp sub.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I would check with the power company they can run the line and install a meter giving you the option for what ever you may do in the future.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I cannot emphasize enough...Make sure they know it is 30 AMP for an RV ....NOT 30 AMP, 220 v, for a household appliance. Double check....triple check.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I cannot emphasize enough...Make sure they know it is 30 AMP for an RV ....NOT 30 AMP, 220 v, for a household appliance. Double check....triple check.
I discussed this with my electrician buddy. He was a bit without-a-clue on that. I've got a 120v, 20A planer in my shop. That made some sense to him. So... double emphasis -- RV hookups should be 120v, 30A (unless they have a double air conditioner).

Good point Melody Ranch.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acewell View Post
There are so many great threads here, but I can't find the most basic.

I want to bring electric to the site I levelled for the AS. It's about 500 feet from my house, 400 feet from the electric company.

I don't know whether I need the electric company to run a new service to the site, or if I can run a line from the existing panel at my house?

Either way, I don't know what to tell my electrician I (how many Amps(?) what kinds of outlets to install to plug into, etc.

Please help a novice. Thanks!
If you ran a cable from your existing house for a 30A service it would need to be big. General rule: up one size for every 50ft. Start with 10GA for the first 50ft. 8 for 100, 6 for 150, 4 for 200, 2 for 250, 0 for 300, 1/0 for 350, 2/0 for 400. 2/0 will not fit into a 30A single pole breaker.
You best bet is new service on a pole with a combination meter/breaker (meter/main) box. Combination service entrance devices.
Get a surge breaker. Protect your investments.
Load Centers - Schneider Electric United States

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Acewell,

many good points are already mentioned above.

I'm guessing first that the property you're actually talking about is not inside Washington, DC.

if it were a single lot in the District that big, then the cost $$ of an electrician might not be an issue for anyone fortunate enough to own such a property!

given the distances involved, and without the benefit of knowing or seeing your site, it's harder to choose among the two alternatives you've offered.

what is the size & age of the existing service to the house? how big is your existing main panel? does it have the physical space and electrical capacity to accommodate a new 30 / 40 / 50 / xx amp circuit?

you might also want to take some voltage readings to be sure that your existing service can handle that new and additional load.

how is the existing house served from the road? is it buried, or aerial with poles?

does that service route come anywhere closer to your parking site?

if the parking site is "along the way" you might be able to branch a second service entrance onto it.

again, that would depend on the type / size / capacity / utilization of the existing facility.

if the parking site is not "along the way", then a new main service to the AS site might be practical, too.

would that new main service be aerial, or buried?

are there any building / zoning requirements that demand buried main service when it's "new" construction? will your building department call it "new" or "an addition'?

for installing new buried service, from both the street or the house, what are your terrain and soil conditions like? a clean straight grassy straight line in sandy soil, or will it be rocks, trees, and hard clay??

who is your power provider? for aerial service, they will sometimes provide at no charge or reduced cost xx number of poles and xx feet of aerial feed, and you would be responsible for the rest. for buried service, usually you will be responsible from their pole on the street to your structure or service location. how much additional $$ cost each month for having that second meter?

there's another thread here that may be useful to you - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ice-65688.html and some suggestion for a small book you might wish to read here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...tml#post861265

and, if I may ask, how were you planning water supply and waste services if this is going to be "permanent extra housing"??

I know that I've probably given more questions than answers, because all these elements might need to be considered before you can create an informed and educated solution to your need.

in any case, do it according to Code, good practice, and with real engineering, and permits and inspections. this project will be too expensive to use "rules of thumb" and other sop engineering.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote