Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

electrical help for a 67 globetrotter

Hi, is there someone who can help me out with some electrical info.

1) just next to my 12 volt battery, there is a small flat plate ( approx 1 inch by 2 inch that has 2 fuse clips on it with the wires running from my in house wiring to my battery. this little plate is in bad shape and I would like to know it's exact purpose, name and where I can find a new one.

2) Also, I am trying to get my runnng lights working and am not having much luck.I have followed the wiring suitable to my tow vehicle, but only succeeded in getting the top centre running light flashing on my right turn signal.

I will greatly appreciate any and all advice.Also anyone with an electrical diagram for this model trailer would be nice to hear from.Thank you!

sincerely, Ray, nu2argos

emai, greens@bellnet.ca
nu2argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2argosy

1) just next to my 12 volt battery, there is a small flat plate ( approx 1 inch by 2 inch that has 2 fuse clips on it with the wires running from my in house wiring to my battery. this little plate is in bad shape and I would like to know it's exact purpose, name and where I can find a new one.

Can you include a picture of this item. It would help in deciding what it's purpose is.

2) Also, I am trying to get my runnng lights working and am not having much luck.I have followed the wiring suitable to my tow vehicle, but only succeeded in getting the top centre running light flashing on my right turn signal.

You probably know this, Check for grounds. Bad grounds and trailer seem to go hand in hand. Use some clips and run a extra ground wire from your vehicle to the trailer and see if you get any change.

I will greatly appreciate any and all advice.Also anyone with an electrical diagram for this model trailer would be nice to hear from.Thank you!

sincerely, Ray, nu2argos

emai, greens@bellnet.ca
Surch electrical on the forum. You may find some answers that way.
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
electrical help for a 67 globetrotter

Greetings Ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2argosy

sincerely, Ray, nu2argos

emai, greens@bellnet.ca
I suspect that part of the problem with your clearance lights may be found in the non-standard (when viewed from today's standardized schematic) wiring of the coach's original umbilical cord. In '67, Airstream was utilizing the basic wiring schematic found at the following link:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

While most of our modern tow-vehicles have the wiring schematic shown in the diagram in the link found below:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

To increase the potential for additional irregularities, a previous owner may have chosen to wire the Bargman connector to suit his/her own idea of the best method so it is not uncommon to find problems when connecting a Vintage coach to a typicl modern tow vehicle. Both my Overlander and Minuet required rewiring of their Bargman connectors before they could be towed home as each was wired to the original Airstream pattern (different for both vintages) neither of which was compatible with the industry standard wiring on my tow vehicle.

Another issue with clearance lights can be in intermittent ground caused by loose connectiors or corrosion.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

my wiring

Thanks alot for your quick reply Kevin.I will keep you up dated.Ray
Old 03-31-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

appreciated

Thank you NorCal Bambi, I will keepr trying.Take care, Ray
Old 03-31-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
As Overlander stated , your plugs are wired incorrectly for newer vehicle .
In addition , the 12v running lights use the skin as a ground . Even with your incorrect wiring , all the running lights should have been flashing , not just the front .
After you get the plug wiring fixed you will have to check the non-working lights for bad ground or bad bulb.These are the most likely , with wiring almost anything is possible . I have seen a bad bulb back feed and cause erratic behavior . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fuse blocks similar to the one you've described can be found at marine supply stores. They have an insulated base and brass fuse clips. If you don't time one with only two clips you can either cut the base material or simply not use the extra clips. There will be one fuse for each 12v circuit in your trailer. If you have two fuses, thus two 12v circuits. Try one fuse at a time to see what that circuit operates. You may want to replace all your running lights with new since the old ones are probably deteriorated, cracked, and clouded. I've been using the metal-based ones with o-ring seal around the lense. The base gives good ground contact to the skin so you're not just depending on the screw for ground. Oh, I know all the arguments about dis-similar metal and corrosion but if you look around on your Airstream, you'll find many places where that occurs already. If it bothers you, use the foam gasket that comes with the new running lights to isolate the metal base from the skin. The screw, however is still steel. Under the right front corner of your trailer there is a rectangular patch in the underbelly skin. Remove it (usually rivited) to find the connection point for the car connector cord to the trailer wires. Some of those connections may be corroded or loose. If the cord to the car is in bad shape, replace it with new 7-wire cord (6-14g, 1-12g. Use the 12g wire for ground.) To avoid big trouble threading the new wire through the a-frame, connect the new wire to the end of the old and pull it through as you pull the old out. I use a marine terminal block screwed to the underside of the plywood floor to connect the car cord to the trailer wires so future wiring is easier. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

great info

Thank you so much for all of your great information!

1) I have succeeded in getting most of my exterior lights operating.It does seem to be a combination of grounds and bulbs, Thank you.When I move them around they do light up, with the exception of all of the rear lights,(top running and break and signal lights), they still are not working.

2) The little plate with fuse clips on it that I had mentioned,located near the battery, when you are looking at it , the left fuse clips are broken off.When I connect to my 12volt battery,and hold this piece in place, my 12 volt lights are working. When it is not in place, there is nothing.Any suggestions?

THANK YOU AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU, SINCERELY, Ray
Old 04-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Ray, The brass fuse clip(s) on your fuse block are broken. Get a new fuse block. They are cheap compared to frying your 12V wiring. All you're doing by holding it together is by-passing the fuse - not a good idea. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

good idea!!!

Thanks Darol, I will do just that.Again, very much appreciated.Ray
Old 04-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

still trying

Hello again! 1) as I said, I now have power to most of my clearance lights except those on the back of the coach.I have tried new bulbs but no luck.I removed the panel to access the wiring and I have power to my red ,green and brown.I had power to my rear backup light but I discovered that they were staying on when my tow vehicles power was off . I had the black for the back up lights hooked to the positive on my tow vehicle.I disconnected it and moved it to where it is indicated on my tow vehicle for back up lamps and now have nothing.The blue from my coach indicated as the charge line I moved to the positive on my tow vehicle.The white is to the negative.I am going according to the diagram of the 7 way plug for this year globetrotter,67.I have no power at my rear tail lights.Ido have pwer to my blue charge line but am not sure where it goes or what its function is.I donot have power to my yellow either.With all said, all I have operating are my front running lights and my front sides when I jiggle them around.Your help is greatly appreciated,Ray
Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I Got It!!!!!!!i Love Airstream Forums!!!

first, I would like to thank all of you who answered to my thread with your helpful information.

1) I was able to rule out my tv as the problem.

2) I hooked up a wire and ran it from my front running lights to my rear and discovered that all rear markers were working though not all well grounded.

3) I was really out of ideas when I came across a thread from eubank.She was talking about a very simmilar problem with her 67 sovereign.She had lots of helpful feedback from, euw,Andrew Selking,C . Johnson,Overlander 63, DavidH,47 weewind and biged52.

4) Eubank mentioned that she was poking around the rear of her trailer when she came across some wires.I went out to my trailer and got down on my back and reached in as far as I could on the rear curb side corner and guess what I found.Yes that's right, I found the remains of the red ,green, brown and black wires.They were obviously the left overs of some hungry little mouse or mice.I passed new wires to the front, cut into the wall under the bathroom vanity and retreived wat was left of the old wires and reconnected.Voila, we have a fully lit 67 Globetrotter.This would not be possible had it not been for all of your great help.Thankyou to lynn,Eubank for your informative thread.Last night I lit her up and sat there with a beer in my hand feeling very accomplished.Thankyou again to all of you.

Sincerely, Ray
nu2argosy