Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #1

San Juan , Puerto Rico
Electrical help

Hi , I am fixing a trailer for a friend, we managed to get the plug working for all the lights signal and brake. When we removed the plug it was a mess of wires, Does anyone here has an schematic of those wires? We need to reach the brakes in order to make them work.
The trailer is not used as living space, so the inside wiring is of no relevance.
I noticed a 20 amp relay connected to what it seemed a ground.
We are not using the battery charger.
If anyone can help on this or has the schematic it will be higly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Sorry, It's a 1973 22' Landyacht
Chopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Here are all the diagrams.

link::: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ams-13217.html
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Electrical question

Greetings Chopperfreak!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream maintenance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperfreak
Hi , I am fixing a trailer for a friend, we managed to get the plug working for all the lights signal and brake. When we removed the plug it was a mess of wires, Does anyone here has an schematic of those wires? We need to reach the brakes in order to make them work.
The trailer is not used as living space, so the inside wiring is of no relevance.
I noticed a 20 amp relay connected to what it seemed a ground.
We are not using the battery charger.
If anyone can help on this or has the schematic it will be higly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
oopps it's a 1973 Landyacht
The Bargman Plug wiring as utilized in 1973 Airstreams did not correspond to the modern industry standard. The wiring as it was installed in 1973 can be found in the link below:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

For comparison, the current industry standard for the Bargman connector can be found in the link below:

http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

Good luck with your wiring project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #4

San Juan , Puerto Rico
Thanks for the help

But. I have those diagrams. I am looking fo the Trailer wiring diagram(schematic) The main problem is, that obviously, yellow is not yellow, blue not blue and such.
I noticed that from the brakes there's an orange and black, maybe a white...
Sure I can trace, but before I start going crazy, I would like the schematic to do it right, Once.
Thanks again
Old 06-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Over the years there was no standard for a while of the wire colors inside the coach. I do not know what was going on in 1973, but, besides just trial and error (and that may be your only choice) you need to find a service manual, because an owner's manual won't have that diagram in it, I believe.

But I bet your about there. Yeah, on mine, yellow and blue don't match the standard today. But green, brown and red do. You're already 3/7's of the way there. The yellow in mine is for brakes, and I think blue is for battery charging off of the TV. Trace the white wire from your pigtail and see what that attaches to and you have your ground.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you have a multimeter it should be easy to check for which is ground. After you establish ground, and put your negative contact on that, putting 12 volts on the other pins and see what lights up. You should have the whole thing figured out faster than I can type this.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #7

San Juan , Puerto Rico
Yeap..

That is the first thing I did, ground and try all wires that I did not know. Why I asked and came here, the white had nothing, (it's not ground) the ground came thru the one connected to a 20 amp relay (which might be the relay is screwed) We juiced all the other wires and no reaction from the brakes. That is why I am looking for wiring colors or diagram so I can take it from there.
I can rewire straight from the brakes, Sadly, I build bikes for a living, not restore Airstreams, this is a favor and you know how it all goes.
I appreciate all your help, tell you the truth, it's always good to have new knowledge.
Where can I find a service manual, this trailer has nothing paper work wise.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out