Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Electrical from the Ground Up

I have a 68 20' Globetrotter. I have just finished putting the floor in and finding all leaks. I am going to install the electrical system next. I have a schematic from the original but that's about it. It did not come with the original uni-volt (only a transformer), no battery or battery compartment(where does it go), the low voltage distribution panel has been destroyed; in other words I get to re-do from the ground up. My concerns listed above are my main concerns. Any suggestions are appreciated. Especially a recommendation for a univolt and replacement ideas for the low voltage distro panel.

Thanks,
Danny
68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I used both an Intelipower converter, and 12V and 120V distribution panels from Progressive Dynamics. You can get them from Randy at bestconverter.com.

I like the converter and the low voltage distribution panel, but the 120V panel is not good quality. I had to do some fixing.

The low voltage panel has many (about 17) slots and has indicator lights.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Danny,
I would seriously consider (depending on your planned floor plan) putting the battery out front on the tounge, put the Converter under something in the very front of the trailer. That will minimize the lenght of cables needed for the battery and keep the weight of the battery to the front of the trailer. The 12 volt control panel can go anywhere convenient, back of a closet, under a picture on the wall...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Not sure of your configuration- FWIW, My Safari had the 12v dist panel on the front wall behind the sofa. This put it near the batteries on the tongue. The converter was under the sofa.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Size?

Will a 45 amp converter be adequate? I am probably not going to reinstall a water pump nor am I going to purchase a new heater as mine had been removed. I will use a small electric space heater, AC (from shore power), basic lights, modern tech tools like computers etc but basically not adding allot of electric needs, especially not additional (to what I have) 12V items.

Dan
68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote