Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2002, 11:52 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to ups guy Send a message via AIM to ups guy
Question electrical diagram for a 1966 Ambassador 28 foot

Hi there...
I am looking for a wiring diagram for my '66 Ambassador... I am having problems with the running lights and brake lights... I have owned this trailer for about 2 1/2 months... Thanks for any help!!! UPS Guy
ups guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Howdy UPS Guy ,I dont know if I can help, as i've only had my 66' Amb. for about a week, and my lights work.
What are they doing ,not working ,working sometimes. Was your truck wired for the modern RV's, as the 66' was a little different. Here is a link for a manual for a 66' Overlander .It gives the plug wiring diagram, http://www.tompatterson.com/VAC/Bull...Bulletin1.html, or you can go to Airstream Central, and check FAQ. They have diagrams there too.But only for the connecter.
I'm also looking for a wiring diagram , as the PO hooked up a battery charger in place of the univolt. Hope this helps. Toby
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
electrical diagram for a 1966 Ambassador 28 foot

Greetings ups guy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ups guy
Hi there...
I am looking for a wiring diagram for my '66 Ambassador... I am having problems with the running lights and brake lights... I have owned this trailer for about 2 1/2 months... Thanks for any help!!! UPS Guy
I strongly suspect that you likely have at least one and possibly two problems at work. If the trailer connector hasn't be rewired recently corossion may be present as well as a wiring match problem between the wiring scheme used by Airstream in 1966 and the scheme that is utilized on our modern tow vehicles. You can determine how Airstream originally wired the trailer end of the connector at:

1966-1981 Airstream Bargman Connector Wiring Schematic

What you want to note is the function of the wire and its color (be aware that the colors utilized by Airstream do not necessarily match the function of the same color wire as used in today's standardized wiring schematic).

The current industry standard wiring diagram that is utilized by the majority of those in the industry can be found in the link below:

Industry Standard for Bargman Plug Wiring

Basically, what has worked with both of my Vintage coaches was replacing the existing Bargman connector with one that matched my tow vehicle - - connecting the Airstream wires according to their function - - to the appropriate terminal on the Bargman connector. For both of my coaches, the wire colors in the Airstream website diagrams matched the color/functions as tested with a 12-volt battery and alligator clamps.

A second potential source of trouble can be the junction box found in the bellypan of the coach where the coach's umbilical cord joins the internal coach wiring - - it can be identified by a panel (often attached with either screws or pop rivets) in the vicinity of where the hitch "A" frame enters the bellypan. The connections can become infected with corrossion or may be loosened by long-term use creating intermittent shorts, etc.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 ambassador