Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2003, 12:08 PM   #1

Electrical diagram

Does anyone kow where I can get a electrical diagram for my 1958 Globetrotter?
Additionally, there is a 12 V plug (female) on the passenger side front corner of the trailer. A small plate indicates that it's to plug the 12 V Tow Vehicle system into the trailer. This is round three prong (arched prongs) plug. Does any one know where I can get the female plug?
1958 Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Electrical plug

I might have one. Depends on whether I saved it when I packed away everything for my reconstruction. I was planning to replace my 6 wire umbilical with a 7 wire (the extra wire was to be the 12V feed), so I may have thrown it out along with the socket. How soon do you need it? The stuff I packed away is at a remote site. Are you doing a restoration? If you just want a functional system, I would go with a 7 wire conversion and not have an extra plug and cord set to worry about.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
12 Volt Plug

Welcome 1958 Globetrotter - I have that same plug, as does Mark it seems. I found the inside wires have light blue insulation. Funny thing was, a PO put an in-line fuse from one blue wire to the other and back into the wall. This made no sense to me. One night I got gutsy and hooked one of the wires up to a 12 battery. Whalah...the overhead 12 volt lights came on; the one in the galley and the one in the bathroom. When I got my trailer, it didn't have any type of 12 volt system or any lingering evidence of ever having one. I never did figure where the other wire went. Any ideas? These lights were originally intended to get power from the tow vehicle.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Further Electrical

The 12V wire goes to a double fuse block. One line is for the house power, and the other is a switched line for the water system air compressor. There is an additional in-line fuse between the wall switch and the compressor. I couldn't figure out why the second fuse, unless to protect the wall switch.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My Trade Wind didn't have a 12 volt pump or any 12 volt lights with the exception of the two 4 inch round overhead fixtures. No other evidence of ever having a battery anywhere. All light switches are accounted for and operate a 110 volt light. I've not seen another trailer of this vintage that has a set-up like this. All of the others seem to have both 110 and 12 volt lights.

FF

PS: the ceiling now looks much better than in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12voltlight.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	3355  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Hehe You should see the way ours was wired. Had a current umbilical that is spliced into the the last 3 ft of the original umbilical just before it went into the body. At that junction was a peice of armorred cable running up to that plug for the 12v charge feed.

I'm replacing the whole umbilical again with the 12v feed from the umbilical making it's connection on the inside.

I do plan to retain that plug for a few reasons. I'll make a jumper so that if the tow rig is nosed up to the coach I can lift the hood and charge the battery. I can also use that jumper to charge off a Generator. You could also use that juntion to pull 12v from the coach to run something else. Maybe put a cig plug end on it to run 12v stuff like fan or a small compressor to fill kids blow up stuff.

Now where to find one: Hubbel(sp?) is a company that makes a lot of simular plugs. I bet they have one that size as well.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote