Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Electrical - 30AMP Input Help

While trying to figure out a problem I'm having with my AC I decided to disconnect power from my Air Stream. I could barely get the plug out since it was locked solid due to charring on one of the connections. In addition to replacing the power cord, the plug on the Air Stream side needs replacing as well. Does anyone have a good source for these components? If you have worked on this before are there any land mines I need to avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John Geisen
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Camping World.com or e-bay or Amazon. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
While trying to figure out a problem I'm having with my AC I decided to disconnect power from my Air Stream. I could barely get the plug out since it was locked solid due to charring on one of the connections. In addition to replacing the power cord, the plug on the Air Stream side needs replacing as well. Does anyone have a good source for these components? If you have worked on this before are there any land mines I need to avoid?

John Geisen
Of course I can't tell for sure without being there and doing some testing, but it sounds like you may have several problems. First you are drawing too much current to burn the plugs, so there is a problem with your air conditioner, or possibly other items in your trailer. Second, you may have problems with circuit breakers that are not tripping when they should and protecting those plugs. I would get all of those things checked out to see why you are drawing so much current.

To answer your question about availability of plugs, I have found plugs, sockets, and complete cables at good prices on Amazon. Good luck with your problem.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Steve,

Thanks. Yes, I've been wondering about that very thing as well. Once I get the electrical sorted out I'll have to find a reputable place to test the draw from the circuits as well as the performance of the breakers. I'm convinced that one of my problems is that our AS has been sitting in our driveway for over two years in West Palm Beach Florida. We get lots of rain and, of course, temperatures in the 90's on a daily basis. This year I have let the AC run almost continuously to ease the heat that occurs from these conditions.

Still, why didn't the breaker trip?

John
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
John, your problem may not be as complicated as it seems. Usually when there is a charred prong on a cord it is because of the loss of tension in the receptacle which causes overheating. This loss of tension may have been caused by a loose connection or possibly long periods of near capacity loading which caused overheating and loss of tension (or grip) in the receptacle. It is possible that there was looseness in the molded cord end where the plug and wire are fastened together. In either case if you replace the cord and the receptacle both, making sure all connections are tight, your problems most likely be solved.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:

John Geisen
John....You noted that the plug was difficult to get the plug out. Are you aware that the 30 amp plug locks in place by a few degree turn after you plug it in? If you do not rotate it before pulling, it will not come out. If you need to replace the parts you can also check out a boating supply place like West Marine or Defender Industries.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Corrosion, or using a post cord or adapter can do the same thing. If you are pulling to many amps through components that are too small, that can do it!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I thought most Marine electrical dock stuff used four wire instead of three? BTW, I did remember to twist to unlock the connection but it was "welded do to the heat. I was able to break it loose with some twisting and wiggling.

I will try to find the parts locally today. Otherwise will have to order online.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, if your plug prongs and the receptacle are that messed up, that could also be a source of an AC problem as well. Those things require a good shot of power in order to start, and you're not supplying it.

Lynn
Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Still, why didn't the breaker trip?
Because SteveH's advice is just wrong.

Plugs burn up because their components are corroded or loose, not because of excess current draw. The breaker will trip if the current is excessive.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the connection was not solid. Arcing could occur that is below the current rating of the circuit breaker. The amount of arcing is based on the load and the contact surfaces of the plug and receptacle.
The more connections there are between the power source and the panel in the coach. The higher the possibility of these kind of problems.
Moisture/dirt entering the receptacle will contribute to the oxidation of the blades that make contact with the plug. The greater the oxidation, the higher the risk of arcing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Because SteveH's advice is just wrong.

Plugs burn up because their components are corroded or loose, not because of excess current draw. The breaker will trip if the current is excessive.
Well now, that just depends. Plugs, or any electrical connections get hot and burn up because there are too many watts dissipated across them, and that is because of a resistance joint from loose connection, corrosion, or too much current.

But, let's not get too technical. If it were me, I'd still measure the current of the devices running just to be safe, and breakers can fail closed just like they can fail open.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Never connect or disconnect any power connection with power present. Always turn off the breaker at the source before connecting or disconnecting your power cable. Once the connection has been made, then turn on the breaker. This will prevent arcing which burns the pins. At the power post, where previous campers have connected and disconnected with the power present you will find damaged receptacles. You can not help that damaged receptacle. But, when connected to a damaged receptacle your plug will suffer damage as well. That end of your cord can be easily repaired or replaced. At least you will not suffer the same damage at the trailer end of your power cord. If you detect burned pins on your power cord, they sometimes can be cleaned with steelwool or a fine file. If the damage is too severe, the end needs to be replaced. Shame on those who leave the breaker on and connect and disconnect their power cables.
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
All I can tell you from my experience is that three weeks ago my A/C started making a funny noise and the end of my end from the plug to about two feet toward the trailer was fairly warm. I should say that the end plug had been replaced some years back.

Turns out the connections in the plug were loose. Sanded contacts, tightend connections, and all was fine. A/C working normal and cable no longer hot.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
Never connect or disconnect any power connection with power present. Always turn off the breaker at the source before connecting or disconnecting your power cable. Once the connection has been made, then turn on the breaker. This will prevent arcing which burns the pins. At the power post, where previous campers have connected and disconnected with the power present you will find damaged receptacles. You can not help that damaged receptacle. But, when connected to a damaged receptacle your plug will suffer damage as well. That end of your cord can be easily repaired or replaced. At least you will not suffer the same damage at the trailer end of your power cord. If you detect burned pins on your power cord, they sometimes can be cleaned with steelwool or a fine file. If the damage is too severe, the end needs to be replaced. Shame on those who leave the breaker on and connect and disconnect their power cables.
That's a very good point. Never really thought about it that way. The damage could really build up over the years.

Does anyone ever use the electrical silicone for spark plug wires? It helps to keep moisture off the connections, and current can pass through it. Could it be used on 110 vlt connections? I'm sure the heat is much lower than the temp of a spark plug.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
John....You noted that the plug was difficult to get the plug out. Are you aware that the 30 amp plug locks in place by a few degree turn after you plug it in? If you do not rotate it before pulling, it will not come out. If you need to replace the parts you can also check out a boating supply place like West Marine or Defender Industries.
I may be missing something, but I don't believe my plug allows for a twist. I'll have to check this out though as that would definitely be a nice design feature to hold it in place.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Most generators have a twist lock receptacle, it is a 4 wire 120/240 volt unit. Depending on the generator capacity, they are rated for 20 amps and higher.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Hello Uncle Bill. I completely agree regarding connecting a source while power is on a device. However, what breaker(s) are you referring to?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Yes, the Marinco input recepticle uses a twist lock on the cable.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Love the Marinco. I installed 30amp and generator inlets on my Trade Wind. Solid and great looking! (Duh...it must be getting late.... mine are Furrion....also a great unit....LOL)

John - you have a 110/120v breaker box with standard house-like breakers. Before you plug in to shore power, turn them off so there is no current draw. When you are plugged into shore or generator successfully, then you can flip the breakers back on.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote