Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Electrical

back up light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Andy; My '66 does not have back up lights. However, I do not see any wiring for such so do you know (of course you do) if the wires are lurking in the trailer from when during assembly? Oh, since I have you on the 'line' would you please answer another question? I also noticed no wire for the battery charger. My car and truck tvs are wired for such. To where do I make the connections for the battery to charge? Thank you, Neil
Neil.

The backup light wiring is within the rear quarter panels, near the bottom.

Your charge line should be connected to th plastic 7 way plug that's on the front of the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
back up light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil.

The backup light wiring is within the rear quarter panels, near the bottom.

Your charge line should be connected to th plastic 7 way plug that's on the front of the trailer.

Andy
I pulled the protective sleeve from the plug up front. 2 wire connections are missing...the black and the center. I have been struggling for a bit to make my car and trailer communicate. I have the lights, running, brake and directional. I 'think' the electric brakes work..still have to check that out. But when I noticed no results for the charge line I pulled the cover off the plug and discovered the empty terminals. Do I order the back up lights from your store? Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Neil.

How many wires are in the connecting cable?

What you are describing is some sort of cable that is not correct.

The connecting cable should have a gray plastic plug on it with 7 terminals.

If the cable is hard, you should replace it. Replacing the cable is very easy to do.

You can order the lights if you wish.

Andy
Old 05-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Neil.

How many wires are in the connecting cable?

What you are describing is some sort of cable that is not correct.

The connecting cable should have a gray plastic plug on it with 7 terminals.

If the cable is hard, you should replace it. Replacing the cable is very easy to do.

You can order the lights if you wish.

Andy
The cable seems ok. No cracks. It isn't limp as a noodle or stiff as a......broom handle. The plug is metal and is a few years old. There are 7 terminals of which 2 are not in use. I have powered the maker lights and directional/brake lights and the electric brakes. That leaves the ground. Now I got 2 to go. I am sure the cable itself is fine but I guess to include the missing wires I should do a new cable. I am recovering from 2 new hip replacements and really should not be crawling under a trailer for a little while. I am guessing there is an access panel under there. I kinda did a look see underneath with a mirror. Looks like there are several accesses. Hopefully no hidden contraband or illegals lurking there. Thanks for your help and time. Sure, I'll order the backup lights. I checked Inland but the price is different from your quote. Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Neil.

To start, replace the cable and plug. The plug should be the "aircraft terminal type", namely they have round terminals. Same for the socket.

The metal flat blade plugs are famous for not making connection because of corrosion.

The junction for the other end of the cable is underneath the front of the trailer. You will find a plate about 8 to 10 inches square under the front. When you remove that plate, you will see the other end of the cable.

We will provide the color code for the wires so that you know which circuit is which.

The backup light pricing has been updated to reflect your quote.

Andy

A