Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
6. I put the one-page instructions/wiring schematic in a ziplock baggy and tucked that in the electrical box as well, in case ever needed by a future owner or technician so they knew what they were looking at.
Nice touch.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #62
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
Ok, think I got it. It went to the start cap. I didn't notice when I removed it.

Yeah...it's really about removing the start Cap AND everything directly attached to it.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #63
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Thumbs up Free EasyStart Stickers!

Not to interrupt the intelligent discussion going on here , but...

A brilliant idea from an Air Forums member was passed along to me, and I went ahead, designed, and got printed an outdoor quality sticker that you can adhere to the side of your A/C, trailer, or wherever. They're 3x5 ovals, in the popular style. If you'd like some, please PM me your previous order #, how many you'd like (limit 2 per A/C), and I'll mail some along to you on the house . Thank you again for everyone's support!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStart Sticker (3x5).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	284132  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #64
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Slap one of those stickers on a 2K genny, and get your neighbors talking.

Marketing!
Old 04-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #65
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
Easy Start Install- in one image

We are about to install an easyStatr as well to our Dometic AC that we put in our 1958 FL 22' last fall. When we called Dometic they said that it is not compatible with their AC units. So I called MIcroAir makers of EasyStatr and they told me that was incorrect and on their website they have a manual and installation instructions for installibng EasyStart to a Dometic Penguin II
here is the link http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20
Thank you all for posting your install info. It is very helpful for those of us also trying to do the same thing!
Cheers and Happy Trails
Dianne
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #66
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
stickers please. from 2?17/17 for Dianne O'Donnell
70 Stonegate Rd
Portola Valley CA 94028
Thank you!!!
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I ordered an EastStart a month or so ago. It arrived quickly, but I didn't have an opportunity to install it until recently.

Installation was easy. If you don't have a variety of electrical connectors around, also get the installation kit. You'll spend far more buying packages of what you need, which is a problem if you don't use that kind of stuff. I do, so it wasn't a big deal.

After the recommended five starts on shore power, I hooked up my Honda 2000i (an older model) put it on Eo mode and fired it up. The AC started flawlessly! This gizmo is the best!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
When I installed my Easy Start a couple of weeks ago, I only had two real problems: 1. Getting the old hard start capacitor out took about half an hour because it was so hard to get at. 2. Getting my generator running right since I had not run it in about one year.

Other than those two things the installation was fairly easy.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
When I look at the Micro-Air website, how do I know which Easy Start product to order? What's the difference between a 3-ton and a 6-ton?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, I just started reading about this product. I think it's just what we need. I just need help picking the right product.

Thank you
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #70
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
When I look at the Micro-Air website, how do I know which Easy Start product to order? What's the difference between a 3-ton and a 6-ton?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, I just started reading about this product. I think it's just what we need. I just need help picking the right product.

Thank you
Hello Time2play. The EasyStart model "tonnage" refers to BTU capacity. The EasyStart 364 is meant for "up to a 3-ton A/C system", which is 36,000 BTUs. The EasyStart 368 is meant for systems larger than 3-ton up to 6-ton, or 72,000 BTUs. For RV Rooftop applications, the default variant model of the EasyStart 364, p/n ASY-364-X20-IP, is the correct one for these types of systems.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
EasyStart, easy installation!

I installed my EasyStart today (8/6/17) in a couple hours and wanted to post my comments for this time frame-current.

We bought the 364 product and the installation kit, and paid $3 extra for 2-day shipping. I inserted "Airstream" in the discount code and had $40 taken off the price, so 'on the door price in two days' came to $292. Be sure to make your work easier and buy the installation kit - it has all the supplies you need. I also printed off their Installation Manual for the Dometic penguin and that was a great help seeing the pictures of the exact setup we have for our 27' Serenity.

In a couple of careful hours, the installation was complete. With crossed fingers, I connected our shore power cord to a 20 amp house outlet, and then started the A/C five times and was relieved to know the A/C was working fine. Then, I connected the shore power cord to the Yamaha 2000 inverter generator, and the A/C effortlessly worked! No troubleshooting or redoing anything. YAY!

While the A/C started with the Yamaha on Eco mode, the dealer installed surge protector was making sounds. I then turned off the Eco mode and all was well. Then I wanted to know any limitations to other electrical items while the Yamaha powered the A/C. I turned on all the lights (knowing they are powered through the batteries), the shower and toilet fans and lights, the refer on Auto -electrical, the range fan and ran the microwave. All worked. Then I opened the awning but about the time it totally opened, the surge protector finally kicked in. I am impressed I had almost all the electrical on at the same time.

The outside temp was about 65 degrees, and there may be limitations when it is much higher putting more pressure on the A/C and maybe fewer electrical limitations. I'll eventually find out.

To this point, this product and company rocks! Total recommendation.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Installed mine a couple weeks ago. It was much easier than I expected. However, the Penguin 1 heat pump was cycling on/off even when the thermostat was set very cold. I discovered that my trailer's power cord adapter was hot. Probably internal resistance due to corrosion. Bought a new one and everything works as it should with my Honda Eu2000i generator.

I'm really glad I didn't buy a second generator for pairing, or the larger 3000 watt version. Less to carry and lower fuel consumption with the 2000.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
One question on the 366 board. Does it need to be installed in a sealed box on AC or can you mount the board inside the electrical enclosure. I have seen a many control boards on HAVC system not in boxes..

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Hello Time2play. The EasyStart model "tonnage" refers to BTU capacity. The EasyStart 364 is meant for "up to a 3-ton A/C system", which is 36,000 BTUs. The EasyStart 368 is meant for systems larger than 3-ton up to 6-ton, or 72,000 BTUs. For RV Rooftop applications, the default variant model of the EasyStart 364, p/n ASY-364-X20-IP, is the correct one for these types of systems.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:04 AM   #74
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
One question on the 366 board. Does it need to be installed in a sealed box on AC or can you mount the board inside the electrical enclosure. I have seen a many control boards on HAVC system not in boxes
Hi Carl. Yes, you can mount the EasyStart 366 inside of the electrical enclosure. Unfortunately, with the original Dometic Penguin (I) or with the newer Dometic Penguin II, both commonly found on Airstreams, the electrical enclosure isn't quite large enough to house the EasyStart 366. We've had previous customers try and fail, resulting in short circuits and damage to the EasyStart 366 since connections were colliding. Only the older high profile A/C units like the original Dometic Brisk (I) and a few of the Coleman Mach models seemed to have enough room in their electrical enclosures to fit the Easystart 366 without a lot of rearrangement.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
EZ Start with 2 ACs

I have a 93 34 footer with one oem Dometic. I am guessing 13.5K. Cools OK except when pushing 100 degrees. No AC in back bedroom which does get hot. If I add a 2nd AC in the rear would an EZ Start let me run both AC's on my 30 amp service?

PS. I am also planning on doing the roof with Bus Kote.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
PS I also have 2 Honda 2000 inverter gennys.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #77
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have a 93 34 footer with one oem Dometic. I am guessing 13.5K. Cools OK except when pushing 100 degrees. No AC in back bedroom which does get hot. If I add a 2nd AC in the rear would an EZ Start let me run both AC's on my 30 amp service?
PS. I am also planning on doing the roof with Bus Kote.
PS I also have 2 Honda 2000 inverter gennys.
Hi Lumatic. Yes, if you install an EasyStart on both A/C units, you will be able to start and run them on 30A utility service or on both of your Honda EU2000i generators in parallel. Or, you can run either A/C by itself on a single Honda EU2000i. The reason you need an EasyStart in both A/Cs for the 30A utility support is because you cannot always control which A/C will be commanded to start and run by the thermostat while the opposite A/C is already running.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi Lumatic. Yes, if you install an EasyStart on both A/C units, you will be able to start and run them on 30A utility service or on both of your Honda EU2000i generators in parallel. Or, you can run either A/C by itself on a single Honda EU2000i. The reason you need an EasyStart in both A/Cs for the 30A utility support is because you cannot always control which A/C will be commanded to start and run by the thermostat while the opposite A/C is already running.
A couple of questions:
1.Can the Easy Start be installed in the existing Dometic AC without removing the AC?
2.My 110 distribution panel (probably original) has a main and 3 20 amp circuits. No extra unused circuits. How would I wire the new AC? Thanks
Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #79
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
A couple of questions:
1.Can the Easy Start be installed in the existing Dometic AC without removing the AC?
2.My 110 distribution panel (probably original) has a main and 3 20 amp circuits. No extra unused circuits. How would I wire the new AC? Thanks
Yes, the EasyStart can be installed into the existing AC without removing it. As far as the electrical distribution panel is concerned, I don't have an answer since I am not familiar with Airstream wiring and the various options for the electrical panels.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
good to know.. what is size of board? what is different with two products. you sell the other item, 364, board only with no case?
thanks

Quote:
Hi Carl. Yes, you can mount the EasyStart 366 inside of the electrical enclosure. Unfortunately, with the original Dometic Penguin (I) or with the newer Dometic Penguin II, both commonly found on Airstreams, the electrical enclosure isn't quite large enough to house the EasyStart 366. We've had previous customers try and fail, resulting in short circuits and damage to the EasyStart 366 since connections were colliding. Only the older high profile A/C units like the original Dometic Brisk (I) and a few of the Coleman Mach models seemed to have enough room in their electrical enclosures to fit the Easystart 366 without a lot of rearrangement.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote