Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Navasota , Texas
Easy Start for AC - Better Directions Needed

A friend and I just installed the Easy Start 364 on my Airstream today. It took watching Youtube videos, looking at the included instructions etc , and calling the Easy Start help line to figure it all out. I am a novice and he has a electrical engineering degree. He commented that the instructions seemed a bit confusing at least on the stage 4 as below. General Instructions would be real helpful. I would have summarized the instructions as follows:

Big Idea: You'll eliminate the existing Starter Capacitor and use two wires of the Easy Start for that function. They will wire into the Running Capacitor (replacing the function of the starter capacitor). You'll splice the two remaining wires of the Easy Start into wires that come off of the compressor. They will not be connected to the running capacitor in any way when you're finished.

Here are the basic steps we did:

1 The Easy Start has four wires: orange, white, black, brown

2 The existing Starter Capacitor (the small one) is removed and now redundant. Unplug it from the Running Capacitor (the large one) and substitute the orange and white wires on the Easy Start in place of the wires that were coming from the old starter capacitor. (This takes care of the first two wires on the Easy Start)

3 Splice the black wire from the Easy Start into the blue wire that you can follow back from the compressor. We cut the blue wire, stripped the two ends where we cut it, and soldered it to the black Easy Start wire.

4 There is a white wire that connects the compressor to the running capacitor. Disconnect it from the running capacitor and splice/connect/butt connect the brown wire from the Easy Start onto the white wire where you've disconnected it from the running capacitor. It will no longer be connected to the running capacitor in any way.

Hope these help. There was some confusion as we tried to read the instructions. I have a Penguin II low profile 15,000 BTU AC on my 24 foot Flying Cloud 2014 Airstream. We started it with a normal 20 amp plug at home. We did it about 6-7 times. It got harder and harder to tell when the compressor came on. It is very quiet. I am using a Honda 2200i and had to cut off all the other breakers in the trailer to get it to all come on okay. I can tell the generator is working to power the AC. I don't think it should be used in economy mode.
faberm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ge-165115.html

Good luck,

Peter

PS — There is also this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...rt-172429.html

. . . in this A/C etc. sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Navasota , Texas
I am new to Airforums and don't know exactly where to look for things, post etc. I looked and looked for AC etc in the big listing and didn't see it include in any categories for forums. We did read pretty much everything on the site I believe and there was still a lack of clarity concerning where and how to wire in the brown wire on the easy start. I just thought my post might help someone.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Navasota , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ge-165115.html

Good luck,

Peter

PS — There is also this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...rt-172429.html

. . . in this A/C etc. sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/
I just did a search under the "Forums" tab at the top and my browser shows nothing with AC in it. Perhaps because I am on a Mac using Firefox. .... not sure. Any thoughts?, faberm
Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The new search function in the blue box way above works better.

"AC" = https://www.google.com/search?q=AC&s...com&gws_rd=ssl

I would suggest adding more search terms to refine the results.

Did you open the links in Post #2?

Check out the small blue type font organizational headings at the top left with the ">" symbol between them. If you click on one of those, you will go right to that forum or sub-forum.

I am using a Mac and Firefox, so that is not an issue IMO.

The navigation here within the site is pretty standard stuff on the Internet. If it is all new to you, don't rush . . . take your time. It is much easier if you can "explore" on a computer or laptop, instead of a small device like a phone or tablet.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- "Easy Start" results: https://www.google.com/search?q=Easy...=airforums.com
Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
This is the best, most comprehensive--yet simple--AS Microair Easystart installation video around. Concise (except for the generator bit at the end--looks like a good generator, but it doesn't add anything to the Microair Easystart installation "instructions").

Hope this helps! (Originally found this on an AirForums thread, by the way.)

I just installed my Easystart this past Sunday, and I found this video to be extremely helpful--and concise ("brief"). My A/C (the usual abbreviation for Air Conditioning; AC usually means Alternating Current) had the PTCR (whatever in the heck that is!) in the start capacitor wiring. Everything else was great.

After 6 starts on AC (Alternating Current from a 20A circuit in my garage), I couldn't hear the compressor kick in at all. Will try the generator later this month at a campground. I'm using the Wen 56200i inverter generators, two of them, with a synchronizing module with a 30A plug), and I believe one of them will run the A/C (air conditioner) just fine.

I get that the Microair-provided instructions have to be somewhat generic because the A/C manufacturers make the same models but with different wiring diagrams and different wiring, but from what I saw on the Microair website they have provided lots of specific diagrams and information for lots of different A/C units, for both AS and SOB (Some Other Brand) units.

Very happy with my Microair so far. The test will be at the end of the month, in Western Colorado near the Four Corners area! Some elevation, plus some pretty good ambient heat, which should increase the load on the compressor (and therefore the generator).
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
We respond to instructions in different ways.
Thats why there are hundreds of explanations for any subject.

As far as the Easy Start is concerned the only thing I would add is to keep the old parts. Then the AC can be restored the original factory configuration for warranty repair.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Navasota , Texas
GREAT IDEA! I had sort of planned to do that but wondered.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Great video
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
There are also more and better instructions on MicroAir's website.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
There are also more and better instructions on MicroAir's website.

Al
Couldn't agree more.

He appears to be a good guy and his video was brief and to the point but extremely weak on content.

For those who have installed a Micro-Air it could be considered a great video. For those who were looking for actual video content, they were left blowing in the wind.

The video was taken from a ladder below the trailer roof line. He just may as well phoned it in.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I was told by a Airstream service technician in JC that installing this device would void Dometic’s warranty. Does anyone know if that is true?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
I was told by a Airstream service technician in JC that installing this device would void Dometic’s warranty. Does anyone know if that is true?

If there is an issue with the AC unit you can simply back out the install and put back the original start capacitor....... easy start itself won’t cause any damage to the unit, at the end of the day it is itself a start capacitor that is intelligently controlled .....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Yes, there was a post that indicated there was negotiation to get that changed, but Dometic was not signed on. It sounded like Dometic was purchasing Easy-Start product for some application, so they may have the slightest bit of leverage. Maybe? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Easy Start for AC - Better Directions Needed

Note that Dometic themselves resell / OEM the easy start (first generation), its called the dometic SmartStart.... which Matteo designed and his former company (Hyper Engineering) OEM’d to dometic. Hyper Engineering also sold the device direct to consumer and called it the “Sure Start”.

Here is a link to the first generation soft starter - designed by Matteo while he worked at hyper engineering - http://www.hypereng.com

And here is the same product with a dometic label stuck on the box... at double the price.... approved for use in dometic air conditioners....
https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...t-iii-_-139057

Video of Matteo demonstrating the first generation ‘sure start’ oem’d to dometic.

Matteo left hyper engineering and went to MicroAir and upon arrival then improved upon his original design with the current MicroAir EasyStart. The MicroAir version builds upon the first generation design and has additional refinement via its software such as the learning cycles that improve its performance.

So here you have it - Dometic themselves not only approve of but also sell this soft start technology. Oh, and if you buy the dometic branded version, the price is almost double that of the superior / latest generation MicroAir version.

When I bought my first EasyStart I did a bunch of homework and weighed all options. MicroAir definitely won out because (1) Matteo is awesome, and he works there now and (2) its simply a superior product as compared to the first generation units.

I’d be surprised if dometic’s OEM relationship doesn’t change over in the future.......
Old 08-21-2018, 05:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Note that Dometic themselves resell / OEM the easy start (first generation), its called the dometic SmartStart....
. . .
Great update, thanks!

Peter
Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #17
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnklJoe View Post
Very happy with my Microair so far. The test will be at the end of the month, in Western Colorado near the Four Corners area! Some elevation, plus some pretty good ambient heat, which should increase the load on the compressor (and therefore the generator).
Elevation at Four corners area is around 5,000 feet. You might be out of luck if running a 2,000 watt generator, as you will lose 2-3% power per 1,000 feet of elevation from sea level. I can't run mine at 6200 feet, and at 4200 feet the compressor stalled out frequently, especially at higher ambient temps. Note that I am running mine on propane, which *might* impact power output further, depending on who I ask.

Please report back with your experience!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #18
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I could run my 13.5k dometic at 5,000 feet with my honda 2000i running on gas.

That was my previous trailer.

My current trailer has a large lithium battery bank and hybrid inverter, so I take what I can get from my 2000i (now on propane) at whatever elevation and supplement with battery power to make up any difference as needed to run my 15k dometic. Works like a charm
Old 08-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I could run my 13.5k dometic at 5,000 feet with my honda 2000i running on gas.

That was my previous trailer.

My current trailer has a large lithium battery bank and hybrid inverter, so I take what I can get from my 2000i (now on propane) at whatever elevation and supplement with battery power to make up any difference as needed to run my 15k dometic. Works like a charm

Wulf, interesting. If you could run on your 2000i on gas at 5,000 feet, that seems to confirm that propane causes a hit to generator output. If I'm inferring this correctly. Did you find that you could no longer run yours at 5,000 feet after switching to propane, and therefore had to engage the invertor/batteries to supplement? I'd love to know if the newer eu2200i, even on propane, would give me enough bump.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #20
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I never tried running the 13.5k in propane.

It certainly feels like you take a bit on propane. I can push the 2000i genset to deliver about 12 or 13 amps before voltage drops below 110v at 5000’ while on propane if I remember correctly.... I’ll see if I can run a test on Thursday or Friday perhaps