Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Thanks. I will explore those. BTW, by the TV in main cabin I have a marine fan, a security camera, of course the TV and provision for future needs, all needing power exceeding what is available at the wall. For my taste, having cables dangling or even bulky USB adaptors is not practical or aesthetically acceptable. I got the nicest (and most expensive) new trailer in part because of aesthetics after all.
Single receptacle outlets = Safety

My 27ft. 2016 Flying Cloud has AC 120V double outlets in several locations but only one 'port' (set of three holes to match the plug) is live, the other is dummy or closed. Any reason for this? I am planning on replacing the receptacles with dual normal inputs so I can plug two devices on each, plus 2 built in USB ports. Any ideas on this?

1. Microwave – code. Receptacles in lockers etc. can have only one device plugged in.
2. Refrigerator – safety. Most refers are on a GFI circuit now, but if they are not, we wanted to discourage owners from plugging in extension cords etc. that might cause electrocution in a wet environment. This is something Airstream started many years ago, and have continued to do.
3. Televisions- When operating off the inverter Airstream does not want the inverter overloaded so that outlet would only have one plug in the outlet. In addition to the overloading the circuit, plugging in too many appliances into inverter circuit can deplete your batteries quicker.
4. Safety Hazards-code. In some situations an outlet will only have a plugin for a specific device (TV) such as on a wall over a lounge area. A power cord is not supposed to hang down across a lounge for example or something being plugged in and sat on lounge that could become a fire hazard.

That is the why. Adding thev12 volt USB outlets are pretty easy and all New models have them.I have added them to my 2014
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Schu,

BS! The TV outlets are not the inverter fed outlets, they are the shorepower AC outlets and I can think of no reason why those outlets were provided as a single outlet with no ability to use the second outlet for USB cubes, Roku or other such devices. Just another pain to fix.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Schu,

BS! The TV outlets are not the inverter fed outlets, they are the shorepower AC outlets and I can think of no reason why those outlets were provided as a single outlet with no ability to use the second outlet for USB cubes, Roku or other such devices. Just another pain to fix.
Larry
Good morning,I have a 2014 25 fb. Next to my living room tv and the bedroom tv I have a inverter circuit (outlet)and a regular 110 volt outlet. Both inverter circuits (outlets) have a single plug in. The regular outlet by the living room tv is a single plug in.
Some models may vary due to floor plan but those are the guidelines Airstream was using when I retired from there.
I do understand that having enough plugins is always an issue. Just trying to share.
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
All plugs live plus a couple of USB ports on each would be very nice. It is not about overcharging the circuit since most gadgets use very little amps, but their availability throughout will help the protruding adaptors, cables running across, etc. Not a big additional cost when building the trailers and a great benefit for the buyers.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
All plugs live plus a couple of USB ports on each would be very nice. It is not about overcharging the circuit since most gadgets use very little amps, but their availability throughout will help the protruding adaptors, cables running across, etc. Not a big additional cost when building the trailers and a great benefit for the buyers.
It's much easier to use quality DC-direct USB outlets than the ones that are imbedded into the 120VAC outlets. Source them from marine companies like Marinco or Blue Sea Systems.

I add these to almost every coach that I work on. They are flush mount and easy to wire. You only need to tap into an existing 12VDC circuit for operation.

http://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-1016-D...r-BxoCn7Xw_wcB
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
You do know that Airstream corrected all this in the 2017's.

I have USB double ports in several locations. 5 that I can think of. There are also standard 120v double wall plugs right next to them.

Also now the inverter plugs have been removed and power dirrectly through the standard plugs. No more switching from one plug to the next when going from shore power to inverter power.

All wall plugs have double plug-ins.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just use something like this at the credenza.

https://www.amazon.com/Bestten-Prote...utlet+with+usb

In addition, my old generation AS has a 12V power port in the bedroom and I just use one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Usstore-Charg...+auto+port+usb

Not really a complicated issue to resolve, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
ordered the first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I just use something like this at the credenza.

https://www.amazon.com/Bestten-Prote...utlet+with+usb

In addition, my old generation AS has a 12V power port in the bedroom and I just use one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Usstore-Charg...+auto+port+usb

Not really a complicated issue to resolve, IMO.
Thanks, just ordered 2 of the first one you list. It is a nice add-on, but still protruding from the wall and adding (a little) clutter. It will be nice if they 2 plugs plus 2 USB ports were already built in, like the ones they sell in Lowes, etc. I read in the previous posting that 2017's have them from factory. Mine is 2016 though.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks, just ordered 2 of the first one you list. It is a nice add-on, but still protruding from the wall and adding (a little) clutter. It will be nice if they 2 plugs plus 2 USB ports were already built in, like the ones they sell in Lowes, etc. I read in the previous posting that 2017's have them from factory. Mine is 2016 though.
I get it. It just wasn't worth it to me to go through the "narrow wall" issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
I found this to be ideal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1