Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2019, 04:37 AM   #1
HighPlainsDrifters

2019 27' Globetrotter
Casper , Wyoming
Disconnecting Negative = Install Battery Disconnect?

I have a battery tender I use on the two AGM batteries I am storing in my garage until we put the AS in use. I intend to use the battery tender when the batteries are put back in the box on the trailer.
QUESTION: Does (1) disconnecting the negative terminal when the batteries are installed in the battery box and subsequently using the battery tender accomplish the same thing if (2) I install my own battery disconnect switch at the battery box, and then use the tender?
Too many parasitic loads now on Airstreams sucking the fun out of batteries.
Thank you.
2Highplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Yes you can use a battery disconnect switch on the negative. I have a Blue Sea M series 6004 single circuit switch. I switch the negative, and then pull fuses if i want just one circuit off the battery. Be sure to have the battery tender on the battery side of the switch.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
For batteries in parallel. Whatever you do with the negatives, you have to do it to both.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote