Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Disconnect charger?

Iíd like to disconnect the AS battery charger. So basically when I set the Use/Store button to Use, everything works as intended EXCEPT the battery charger.

It would be ideal if the charge that comes from the TV umbilical cord when towing remains operational, but itís not absolutely necessary. Iím not sure if itís a cable I need to disconnect or a fuse I have to pull.

Any suggestions?

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Iíd like to disconnect the AS battery charger. So basically when I set the Use/Store button to Use, everything works as intended EXCEPT the battery charger.

It would be ideal if the charge that comes from the TV umbilical cord when towing remains operational, but itís not absolutely necessary. Iím not sure if itís a cable I need to disconnect or a fuse I have to pull.

Any suggestions?
?? Not sure what your trying to achieve here by doing that? If your concerned about your battery overcharging because you have a single stage charger, I am not sure you have anything to worry about while connected to the TV. It's when your connected to shore power, that the Converter (which also charges your battery), is engaged. (experts, correct me if I am wrong here.) Your TV typically, gets its charge from the alternator which does not overcharge your 12V batteries per say...I am sure Uncle Bob or one of the experts can do a better job explaining, but that is my understanding. Shore power and a single stage Converter/charger, which AS has been installing for years up until the 2018 models, is what has been frying the batteries...there are several recent threads on replacement options to a multi-stage Converter to avoid this issue. Still interested to know if this is your concern or why you would what your thinking..

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
For your model, when you're connected to shore power, simply press the "Store" button. This will isolate your batteries and everything will work and you will not charge your batteries.

When you're not connected to shore power, simply select the "Use" button so that your trailer receives DC power.

Quote:
If you would like to prevent your TV from potentially charging your TT batteries, simply pull the fuse.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Are you aware that the TV will probably never fully charge the batteries unless it has been modified to provide more current? While I have never measured it, folks on here have reported only 7 amps being delivered from the TV, and at a less than optimum voltage. The TV alternator is regulated to properly charge the TV batteries which are a short distance of BIG wire away from the alternator. The TT batteries are much farther away and wired with smaller wire, unless modified.

What problem are you trying to solve? On my Safari 25 the converter was plugged into an outlet. If I wanted to kill it all I had to do was unplug it. Do you never want the converter online? If so just find the positive and negative cables between the converter and the batteries and disconnect them at both ends.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ok, I appreciate the responses. But, all I’m trying to do is use the batteries without them being charged by the AS charger. I already have another charging solution in place, so keeping the batteries charged is not the issue.

The issue is I don’t want to leave it in the Use position because my batteries will be overcharged (it’s connected to shore power 24x7). But shore power is not very reliable where I’m at so sometimes I lose shore power. I’d like to be able to use lights and have the fridge go into propane mode, which doesn’t happen when I’m in Store mode.

So again, simple question, can I deactivate the AS charger and leave everything else intact so I can leave it in Use mode?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
OK, looked at your trailer's schematic. The connection to the converter is integral to your DC distribution panel. Your best bet is to open it up and see if you can access the AC power to the converter. If you disconnect that, it should do what you want. There may be a fuse between the converter output and the distribution panel, or an output fuse or fuses on the converter itself. IF so you could pull those.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Awesome, thanks!