Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2002, 01:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cardigan , NB
Question deep cycle battery replacement

Hello

I have 75 Argosy MH, some ten years ago it was modified to have a large deep cycle battery stored below and just behind the drivers seat, it can only be accessed from outside and does not enter the living space. That said, I wish to replaced it with 3 or 4 car batteries that are of the GEL type, together in series.

The old battery is of the water type and has or is leaking and rusting the metal tubing in that area.

What are the pros and cons of this idea.

Thank you much!

Onne de Boer
26Argosy.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If they are 12v they need to be in parallel. How big a battery is in there now? I take it this is custom made for a specific size battery. You might be able to get more capacity by using the same size battery than 2 or 3 smaller ones than won't total as much current because of physical size; gel cells come in every size a lead acid battery does.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

caution

Bobby is correct. You will want to make sure you install them in parallel configuration...or you will end up with a 24 or 36 volt system depending on how many batteries you decide to install.

Think of it like a small radio which requires six volts to operate and if you install the AA bateries according to the directions (pos + to neg -) you will total the six volts required to power that radio.
Same principle here. If you wire pos + of one battery to the neg - of the next and so on until you hook up to the electrical system, you will had added the output of each battery to the next. Thus being larger than the required 12 volt dc. If you wire the bateries in parallel...pos + to pos+ and neg - to neg - ... you will have only increased the total "holding" capacity for providing 12 VDC to your system.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Cardigan , NB
Thanks, You're right, I knew how to hook it up, I had the two names, series and parallel switched.

I would like a gel battery under there so there is no more leakage. I will look into various sizes. Then I can then get to restoring the metal that has been corroded.

Again Thank you
Old 01-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You may want to look into this product for your restoration and future protection onf the corroded metal

POR 15

Many members have used it and I have a can just waiting for the day I pull up my carpet. I have 1 more leak to find and then it is carpet time.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Windsun has a good selection of Concorde agm batteries. They have a good site with all the sizes listed so you should be able to find a compatible size.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:19 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Cardigan , NB
Thanks again, I have the POR 15 info on my desk, I picked that a few weeks after I bought the MH.

I'll check out Windsun for Concorde batteries.

O