Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I put 120VAC rope lighting over the valances in our 34's salon. All I could get was 18', but I found a 2' extension to do the 20' required. I also installed a sliding dimmer in the cord. I don't have any nighttime pictures, just this one:

These really have to be dimmed down to get a good mood effect at night. You might try a set of 120VAC lamps on 12VDC and see how bright they are. I was going to try ours on 12VDC but never got around to it. I used NO fasteners. The vinyl tubing is sticky enough to stay in the angle between the valance and ceiling fabric.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Post Paging Mr. Ohm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
High wattage 12 volt lights are a problem due to the high amperage necessary to carry the wattage (watts = volts X amps). Two 100 watt 12 volt lamps would require a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Mark
Ah!
Ohm's Law works even after all these years.
I learned it in high school and pondered it in college when I was obtaining my B.S. in Electronics Engineering!
Works everytime!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

I am looking to replace my light fixtures in my Minuet.
If there is a good source of LED lighting I would like to know where I could get one to try it out.
Thanks for the link, Mark. I went to Swego and got some ideas for an experiment with Xenon bulbs!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Has anyone replaced their old lights with florescent lighting? I see that they are available and I would like to replace the old dim lights in my 1978 Argosy. Any suggestions?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Has anyone replaced their old lights with florescent lighting? I see that they are available and I would like to replace the old dim lights in my 1978 Argosy. Any suggestions?
Sure. See the thread at http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=10541

Mark
Old 02-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
That just takes me back to this thread. Will any florescent fixture work in place of what's in the coach now.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
That just takes me back to this thread. Will any florescent fixture work in place of what's in the coach now.
Odd, I just tried it again from within the post and it opened up a new window with the old thread on fluorescent lighting.

But to answer your question, no. You will have to use 12 volt fluorescent lighting. They can be wired in as a direct replacements for your 12 volt incadescents. Sunray and Thinline are both popular brands.

Mark
Old 02-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks. I tried it again and got back to the original thread. I looked at the sites listed, and they may be able to help me. Sorry for all the trouble. Judy
Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I have done so with our 1972 Argosy, with very good results.
Terry
Old 02-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I have done so with our 1972 Argosy, with very good results.
Terry
Terry,

Is it a lot brighter in your Argosy now? I have been thinking about replacing mine as well....
Old 02-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Terry,

Is it a lot brighter in your Argosy now? I have been thinking about replacing mine as well....
Here is a photo I just snapped, at 9:30 PM with no flash, you be the judge:
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	10423  
Old 02-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Here is a photo I just snapped, at 9:30 PM with no flash, you be the judge:
Terry
Is that with only the front light on, Terry?
If it is that's an AMAZING difference!
Which flourescent lights did you get. I want the exact same ones for my 20 foot Minuet!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Is that with only the front light on, Terry?
If it is that's an AMAZING difference!
Which flourescent lights did you get. I want the exact same ones for my 20 foot Minuet!
The bathroom light was on, too, for backfill light. That is behind where I am standing in the trailer, I did that only so it wasn't a black hole. The lights are the same as was commonly found in 1980's vintage Airstream products. They should be available at the Airstream store at the Florida State rally next week, if you want new ones. I got new lenses from Camping World. They seem to use much less power than the original incandecents, and generate less heat, too.
Terry
Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Quote:
The bathroom light was on, too, for backfill light. That is behind where I am standing in the trailer, I did that only so it wasn't a black hole. The lights are the same as was commonly found in 1980's vintage Airstream products. I got new lenses from Camping World. They seem to use much less power than the original incandecents, and generate less heat, too.
Terry
It still looks good! That will be my next upgrade.
I have replaced the refrigerator, stove and water heater. It is almost like a new trailer! It just looks like a dungeon with those lights.
Do you have anymore pictures of your trailer? My brother and I are going to look at a 1973 similar to yours and would love to see some pictures of one like it! He is geeked about it. Ever since I got mine he has wanted one. He and I restored a 63 Bambi back in the early 80's and we have always loved the smaller ones!
Thanks...
Old 02-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It still looks good! That will be my next upgrade.
I have replaced the refrigerator, stove and water heater. It is almost like a new trailer! It just looks like a dungeon with those lights.
Do you have anymore pictures of your trailer? My brother and I are going to look at a 1973 similar to yours and would love to see some pictures of one like it! He is geeked about it. Ever since I got mine he has wanted one. He and I restored a 63 Bambi back in the early 80's and we have always loved the smaller ones!
Thanks...
There are more photos in the photos section of the forums here. Just click on the button at the top of this page marked, coincidentally enough, "photos".
You can search by user, that would be "argosy20".
You can also post photos of your Minuet there, for all the world to fawn over.
Terry
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Quote:
There are more photos in the photos section of the forums here. Just click on the button at the top of this page marked, coincidentally enough, "photos".
You can search by user, that would be "argosy20".
You can also post photos of your Minuet there, for all the world to fawn over.
Terry
I was just looking through 3Ms75Argosy's photos! Really sharp Argosy!
I like the ones the size of yours and mine though. Ever since I was a kid I have loved the small Argosys. My dad was an Airstream man. If it wasn't 31 feet long it wasn't worth hauling around, according to him.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I was just looking through 3Ms75Argosy's photos! Really sharp Argosy!
I like the ones the size of yours and mine though. Ever since I was a kid I have loved the small Argosys. My dad was an Airstream man. If it wasn't 31 feet long it wasn't worth hauling around, according to him.
I have also replaced the clearance and taillights with LEDs, they are much brighter, will probably outlast the coach, and is much less strain on the electrical system of the tow vehicle.
Terry
Old 02-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Quote:
I have also replaced the clearance and taillights with LEDs, they are much brighter, will probably outlast the coach, and is much less strain on the electrical system of the tow vehicle.
Terry
Were able to keep the same style of lens for the clearance lights?
I like the ones from the 70's. They look cool. I have wanted to go to LEDs just for the look of them.
I would like to be able to replace my taillights with LEDs. I just need to find something that will either fit into the original housing and lens or something that matches it closely.
The taillights on the Minuet are different than those on yours. I like yours better. They look really good on the back of the trailer.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Lou, if your light bulbs go straight into the sockets, with the top of the bulb facing the lens, you should be able to get the 1157 LED replacements, they just go in like a regular bulb. The clearance lights are complete when purchased. They come with the lenses you see, which are very similar to the lenses that came off my trailer. The clearance lights cost around $8.00/each, the 1157 replacements cost around $12.00/pair.

Terry
Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou, if your light bulbs go straight into the sockets, with the top of the bulb facing the lens, you should be able to get the 1157 LED replacements, they just go in like a regular bulb. The clearance lights are complete when purchased. They come with the lenses you see, which are very similar to the lenses that came off my trailer. The clearance lights cost around $8.00/each, the 1157 replacements cost around $12.00/pair.

Terry
Terry,

Where did you get yours from? I want to check them out!
Thanks in advance for all of the help.