Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Correct Voltage from Univolt

Help.

When I put a multimeter to my univolt output, I get a reading of 11.1 volts.

My car battery recharger puts out 14 volts.

Is 11.1 indicating a bad unit?

Thanks
PhilMateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Is your univolt not charging the deep cycle battery?

Hi Phil,
Is your trailer deep cycle 12 volt battery dead? Are your trailer 12 volt circuits not operating properly? Why are you checking the output of the univolt?.....
A univolt is not a sustitute for a 120 volt battery charger or a 12 volt automotive alternator/generator.
If your 12 volt battery for your trailer is dead it could have a bad cell or internal short circuit and not able to be charged....
Your car alternator/generator charges on a demand basis. Your 120 volt battery charger also charges on a demand basis. Both will not charge a bad battery. Depending on how many nights have been below freezing where you live, a partially discharged 12 volt battery may freeze....
I would start by taking your 12 volt deep cycle battery for your trailer to an auto parts store & have it tested. In the event your trailer does not currently have a 12 volt battery and never had a 12 volt battery, this would not apply.
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Univolt output vs bad battery

Having an output this low either indicates the Univolt has a bad diode in it or the battery in the coach has a short or something is pulling alot of power. Disconnect the battery and check its voltage by itself. Then check the voltage between the cables that were formerly connected. If the cables indicate 13.5 or above then the Univolt is ok. If the cables check 11.1 as before the Univolt is shot. If the battery check less than 9 volts it is completely shot. Take it back to where you got it and have them test it and give you an allowance on a new battery. If you have to replace the univolt there are alot better units for alot less money by third parties. Do a search to determine what you want.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I replaced 2 of my Univolts with Intelipower. VIntage Trailer has a good deal on them. Another advantage, NO HUM!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
More from the stupid people asking questions department.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
A univolt is not a sustitute for a 120 volt battery charger or a 12 volt automotive alternator/generator.
As we all know, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions I will jump right in .

Just wanting to make sure I understand the lingo and system correctly, so by all means school me if I am wrong (98.46% probabilty). The univolt is a 120 to 12V converter and not to be confused with a 12V to 120 inverter, but it will none the less charge my battery when connected to shore power. And am I correct in the understanding that many of you are replacing the orginals with newer units for the reason that the new units provide more efficent battery charge? I also understand that running the tow vehicle is not an effective way to charge batteries when boondocking but I have never heard the explaination for that.

I hope this doesnt hijack the intent of this thread but these are the kind of questions that come to mind when reading this sort of post. Searching for inofrmation on the univolt makes me hope that people start to follow up on the plan from last fall to produce an online guide to restoration and upkeep. Anyway thanks.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote