Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Copper Clad Aluminum Wire (CCA)

It turns out, the wire I've purchased for a great price is CCA. Thankfully, it is adequately oversized in the areas I've installed it. While it may be up to par for some, I'm inclined to purchase the heavy real stuff (tinned copper strand) for all my remaining electrical work.

There is not a lot of discussion on it here. Are many others resorting to using it these days? I'm completely fed up with the "made in China" stuff at this point (for real).
54fuselage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fuselage View Post
It turns out, the wire I've purchased for a great price is CCA. Thankfully, it is adequately oversized in the areas I've installed it. While it may be up to par for some, I'm inclined to purchase the heavy real stuff (tinned copper strand) for all my remaining electrical work.

There is not a lot of discussion on it here. Are many others resorting to using it these days? I'm completely fed up with the "made in China" stuff at this point (for real).
I was not aware that stranded copper clad aluminum wire was available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I were you I would save the later worry and go with real copper throughout, including what is already done, but that is just me.

It will be easy to address now while the trailer is presumably apart, but very much more difficult later.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I also would recommend not using that wire if the walls are still open. I've just seen too many burnt up connections even with copper wire. Any time two different metals touch you can have problems. At the least use anti-oxidant coating on the connections.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fuselage View Post

Use US made marine cable by Ancor or other US companies. Stranded, tinned copper to resist corrosion and made to ABYC specifications. Get the 105ºC version and you will never have a problem….provided that all of your terminations are also done correctly!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy

Yes it is, and it appears to be becoming the standard coming out of China. As a heads up to everyone, it's the Audiopipe product found on Amazon. The ratings are high but it is CCA nonetheless and they listed it as such, so I apparently overlooked that detail.

Regarding what's installed, the only wires soldered are for the tail and running lights...and 10 gauge wire with mostly LED bulbs (I know, crazy overkill). I'm pulling the rest of it for sure, and thankfully the 12/3 I used is a quality US made marine tinned copper by Lawrence Marine Products.

Thanks all!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Copper Clad Aluminum Wire (CCA)

I was thinking 120 volt when I made my comment above.

12 volt, especially soldered, probably wouldn't bother me too much.

FWIW, I am a big fan of copper stranded crosslink wiring for low voltage applications.

This insulation is way superior to the "parts store" vinyl insulated stuff.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Or the great 12/2 with ground yellow plastic jacket stuff installed by Airstream for 120vac circuits..... Always sourced from the absolute lowest bidder.... Look at those cheaper than cheap outlets installed in the walls of the Airstreams today. We replaced all of ours in both trailers with Hubbell 20 amp GFI commercial grade outlets.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Me neither. Get rid of it.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If I were you I would save the later worry and go with real copper throughout, including what is already done, but that is just me.

It will be easy to address now while the trailer is presumably apart, but very much more difficult later.

Superat stultitia.
DITTO!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
FYI: Aluminum wire is used, with a suitable gauge, in most transport aircraft due to the lesser weight;however....
They are connected to special plated copper lugs using a liner of perforated sleeving to really dig into the alum. They are then mightily squeezed down, and protected by waterproof compound or shrinkwrap.
"ijustly" said, above, to use a sealing compound on the joints, and he's right.

"Look after your equipment, it will look after you".
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Seminole , Florida
From my experience as an electrical maintenance manager at a newspaper for 26 years, I have never seen aluminum wire hold up to anything that vibrates, correct lugs and using Penetrox included. It will crack at the connection and potentially in between,depending on how it is bent and what it rubs against that vibrates.I surely would not bury it in a wall. As it deteriorates and strand break,it will get hotter and hotter. IMHO
GandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Seminole , Florida
Just a thought----Take a piece of aluminum and a piece of copper of the same dimension and bend them back and forth. It will not be long before you see the difference. If car makers could use it, they would went to it years ago to save money.
GandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
My thought, in keeping some CCA to power a few exterior lights, is that the copper content of the 10 GA is still well above that of a fully copper stranded 18, 16, or even 14 GA wire - All of which are more than adequately sized for the application. But I'll likely order enough tinned copper to rip out and replace all the CCA.

There are some shocking YouTube videos describing this problem with various types of cable. Much of the CAT5 being sold now is coming with aluminum wires, while the packaging and jacket stamp say otherwise.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The mobile home industry in the 60s used aluminum power wires and there were many fires when the wiring failed. A tightly squeezed fitting will just cause the aluminum to cold flow away from the connection over time. It is not a question of "if" but "when".

We need to remember that everything inside the trailer is experiencing basically an earthquake as the unit rolls down the road. The frequency of the shake , rattle and roll varies with the tires type and their pressure, suspension condition, speed and road conditions, type of hitch and tow vehicle....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote