Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Converting to AC

We have a 1970 Sovereign Land Commander Airstream. We are excited to have the time to focus on the project of making it livable.

We have it permanently installed with an original mixture of AC and DC. AC lights, refrigerator and a whole system of DC. Any advice on how to convert it all to AC please?

Thank you in advance!
rufleruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufleruf View Post
We have a 1970 Sovereign Land Commander Airstream. We are excited to have the time to focus on the project of making it livable.

We have it permanently installed with an original mixture of AC and DC. AC lights, refrigerator and a whole system of DC. Any advice on how to convert it all to AC please?

Thank you in advance!
I'm gathering that you never want to tow this anymore? By going completely AC you will be creating a stationary trailer. No electric jack at the tongue. None of the driving lights will be working, etc. except from the umbilical cord. That also means you have removed the factory forced air heater the ceiling fans the stove exhaust fan, bathroom exhaust fan and all interior lights.

I'm just wondering why you would want to go to all this trouble and make your trailer unsalable. I can't figure that anyone would want this unit once you convert it. You would be far better served keeping the AC and DC as it was designed. If you don't want to every have batteries in it that's another topic, but you'd be much further ahead by using a cheap converter to power the DC without the batteries in the equation. That way you maintain all of your DC powered items as is and if you ever want to tow again it's a minimal change to add batteries. This also lets you utilize many options for exhaust fans and interior lights in the 12 volt world.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Cheapest and easiest and I think best solution is to buy a Boondocker converter from Best Converter and 1 battery and leave the DC as is. The battery will last many years and will never go down if you check the water a couple times a year. You are operating on 100 percent AC but you are converting some of it to DC for consumption. You can add LED 110 lights as needed. If you need a new fridge you could put in a 110 apartment model but then you have to live with the noise and heat in the very small space in the trailer. We keep a trailer plugged in year round and live it it 3 to 5 months a year. We have done it this way for close to 10 years now. I keep 2 batteries and change them out every 4 years because I like having the backup for my CPAP. But you do not have to do that. And unless you have the interior skins out there is no way to access the AC circuits or to add any.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Thank you for the advice! What is the best ac to dc converter if we are going to keep it stock?
rufleruf is offline   Reply With Quote