Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Converter use at the house?

For the electrically minded folks out there, would it be possible to use a power converter at home to charge some LifePo4 batteries? I've got a spare Lithium capable converter that I'd like to use to fully charge 4 batteries individually before I do the parallel connections. My current charger doesn't have a Lithium profile.

What's the safe way to wire it? I've got a ground rod outside my side garage door I could use a ground clamp to tap onto. Should I connect the converter chassis to the rod and then tie the battery negative and negative converter output to the ground rod as well?

Thanks for any advice.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Grounding not really necessary. The converter will be grounded through the house green wire system, assuming it has a 3-wire power cord. + to +, - to -, plug the converter in.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Grounding not really necessary. The converter will be grounded through the house green wire system, assuming it has a 3-wire power cord. + to +, - to -, plug the converter in.
So, just connect both the pos/neg cables straight to the battery?

Why all the grounding on the DC side when it's installed in the RV? Is it because power from the batteries is connected to the converter all the time and you may not be connected to a shore ground?
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My opinion is that the grounding of the negative side of the 12 volt system in the trailer is all historically based. Originally the return (minus side) of all lighting, and maybe other wiring, was through the frame. So the minus side of the 12 volt system needed to be connected to the frame. When you are dealing with the batteries in isolation, the ground serves no purpose. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
So, just connect both the pos/neg cables straight to the battery?

Why all the grounding on the DC side when it's installed in the RV? Is it because power from the batteries is connected to the converter all the time and you may not be connected to a shore ground?
I've done this before, and if you have a modern converter with the correct charging parameter for your batteries you should be fine.

As already said, make sure that you connect to the batteries correctly. Also, connect to the batteries first, before plugging in the converter.

The grounding situation? My take is similar to what's been mentioned in ensuring that a solid connection to the chassis is made for any devices using the chassis as a 12v- connection. Plus, on a moving vehicle like a trailer having the external grounding lug also serves to protect the 120vac side of things. The converter manufacturers have no way to know what trailer it's going to be installed in, and many will have deficits with their 120v outlet grounding. By having a designated ground lug they cover all bases.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote