Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Converter Replacement ON THE ROAD!

We suffered a converter failure this week while travelling thru Great Sand Dunes N.M. It presented itself by shutting down the 3500 watt generator (as if an overlaod) when the wife activated the microwave.
Restarted the genny and same thing again. Isolated it by flipping off the C.B. that fed the converter and bedside wall receptacles.

Soo.... called the local, big RV retailer and described the WFCO 8900 series converter and they said they didn't have the main-board replacement part and it'd take TWO WEEKS to get it!

We're on a looong trip... and of course, the trailer battery will only be recharged by the Tow Vehicle with no working converter. This could affect the refrigerator, water heater also because they have 12V control-boards that rely upon the battery which can only be recharged via the TV or a converter.

So, I logged onto Amazon and found the replacement board for $150... available in 2 days.... shipped to an AMAZON LOCKER at a WHOLE FOODS MARKET in Colorado Springs (where we next planned to be.) It was an exhiliarating experience! The part was ordered Sat nite... entered the Whole Foods Monday at 3 PM.... entered the "code" that had been emailed to our smart-phone...and VOILA...a door on the "locker" opened automatically, presenting us with our replacement converter main-board.

It is a WFCO 8900MBA https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and is a simple replacement. Remove 3 wires from the 120V side and 2 wires from the 12V side of the C.B. panel. Install the new main board by reversing the process. It was an exact-fit and works perfectly! ( I was worried that the seller "Arterra" would not be a genuine WFCO replacement part...but in fact, it is indeed the genuine article. Very happy.)

Just wanted to share what is possible these days.

Hope this helps.

ON the ROAD AGAIN..... (Willie Nelson)...
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Nice recovery.

Some aspects of “just in time” processes are quite helpful.

It is refreshing to see ingenuity and resilience prevail. Fix it and move on.

No threats of lawyers, complete rebuilds, and “attack mode” as with other electrical problems being discussed here on the forums.

There are no problems, only solutions.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Thanks, Jeff. One thing about this modern world that came to mind during this....

... Brick/Mortar stores these days have a real problem with Amazon... and some self-appointees seem determined to somehow penalize Amazon for it's efficiency... But it occurs to me that the RV Store could have just as easily told me (instead of two weeks) that they'd have the replacement part by Monday if I'd come by and let them install it. They could have used Amazon, marked it up reasonably, and also earned the labor of installation.

It may be that their outlet-status holds them to supplier-agreements that they must acquire their stock thru distributor-channels. It may also NOT be the case. I know what I'd have done if I were in that business: I'd have served the customer and help him "get on down the road."

I don't see Amazon as a killer of local businesses. I see lack of adaptability and failure to serve the customer as that assassin. Just my 2-cents.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I swapped out the dead factory converter a couple weeks ago. Now the replacement has died .... Be careful !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have used (and was very impressed by) the Amazon-to-Locker option when I needed a specific computer cable in hurry. It was sort of surreal to order the cable ... receive the code with a notice when it had been delivered ... drive to the locker at your leisure ... enter the code ... and "prang", the door of the locker cubby springs open. And you are right ... stick & mortar stores could take advantage of this service for their own businesses ... but I think they are just behind that curve. Glad it all worked out for you ... nice "on the road repairs" story.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I kind of get tired of the brick and mortar stores taking advantage of you. They need to make a profit but? I went to purchase another charging cable for my phone. They wanted $30.00 for 1. I left as I did not need it right away. Amazon delivering 2 in two days for $11.00.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I swapped out the dead factory converter a couple weeks ago. Now the replacement has died .... Be careful !!!!

Bob
I thought I’d follow up on this….now almost Four Years later: Still Working Perfectly!
Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I thought I’d follow up on this….now almost Four Years later: Still Working Perfectly!
Sweet! Thanks for the follow up!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:54 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The Victron that I went to next is still chugging along fine as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote