RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
pamu's Avatar
 
2005 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 53
Blog Entries: 2
Converter Recommendations

We have a 2005 Safari SS (25'). Since we have had it, we have never been able to use our 12V lights/fans unless we are connected to shore power. We have been trying to track the problem and have come to the conclusion that the converter must be bad.

Wondering what you guys (the experts) recommend.

Thanks in advance.
pamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,600
Images: 1
Converter Recommendations

Progressive dynamics PD4655 is what you want. It’s the high-quality go-to multi-stage converter/charger replacement for the original parallax converter in your 2005.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4655V...l#.XXcudiRMHDs
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
FloydCoVa's Avatar
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 351
That is the exact one I put in my 2015 23d Flyingcloud. I also bought it from bestconverter. I also installed it my self, not that hard to do at all.
FloydCoVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
fran&frank's Avatar
 
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 368
It might make since to upgrade your converter either way, but how did you conclude its the problem? The fact that you only have 12 V power when you are on shore power suggests your converter is supplying 12-volt power but the batteries are not. So have you checked your batteries? There's a good possibility you should replace both the batteries and converter. --Frank
__________________
Frank & Fran
2016 27' FC FB with 600 W solar
2016 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
pamu's Avatar
 
2005 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 53
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
It might make since to upgrade your converter either way, but how did you conclude its the problem? The fact that you only have 12 V power when you are on shore power suggests your converter is supplying 12-volt power but the batteries are not. So have you checked your batteries? There's a good possibility you should replace both the batteries and converter. --Frank
We have checked the batteries. They appear to be good. Ordered the converter on the premise that regardless, it needs to be replaced and upgraded.

Thanks for the input!
pamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,166
Something about this doesn't make sense. If you have 12 volts when connected to shore power, your converter is working. If your batteries are good, the converter must be charging them. I can't understand why the converter is connected to the trailer and the batteries but the batteries are not connected to the trailer.

I don't think a new converter is going to solve your problem, regardless of the advisability of replacing the old converter to protect your batteries. You need someone with good electrical troubleshooting skills to figure this out. I can't see any way for this to happen if your trailer is wired the way the manual says it is.

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
skitger's Avatar

 
2018 16' Sport
Corvallis , Oregon
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 72
My vote is for Progressive Dynamics too, I just installed one, easy to do, got from Bestconverter. My old converter only seemed to have 1 voltage, even those it was a new 3 stage, it only ever read 13.6. The new one, really has 4 stages. Double check the batteries, could be an issue, good luck
__________________
Rick & Paula LaMont
2018 Sport 16’
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3
 
pcskier's Avatar
 
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Something about this doesn't make sense. If you have 12 volts when connected to shore power, your converter is working. If your batteries are good, the converter must be charging them. I can't understand why the converter is connected to the trailer and the batteries but the batteries are not connected to the trailer.

I don't think a new converter is going to solve your problem, regardless of the advisability of replacing the old converter to protect your batteries. You need someone with good electrical troubleshooting skills to figure this out. I can't see any way for this to happen if your trailer is wired the way the manual says it is.

Al
I'm wondering if there is an issue with the Use/Store solenoid and it's stuck on "Store." This would prevent 12V power from the batteries, so no juice to the system unless plugged in to shore power. Their trailer might be wired like Airstream has been doing the last year or two, where the batteries are charged by the converter even if in 'store' mode, hence keeping them charged. But in "use" mode the batteries aren't being switched in to the 12v system, so there's no power if not plugged in to shore power. I agree, their problem is likely elsewhere but at least they'll have an upgraded converter!
EDIT: We discussed the issue with Pamu last month as well. Hopefully they'll get it figured out. I'm still suspecting the Use/Store switch. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-199742.html
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
Overkill Specialist
Commercial Member
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2020 30’ Globetrotter
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,222
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Progressive dynamics PD4655 is what you want. It’s the high-quality go-to multi-stage converter/charger replacement for the original parallax converter in your 2005.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4655V...l#.XXcudiRMHDs
Yep, this is the one you want
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I'm wondering if there is an issue with the Use/Store solenoid and it's stuck on "Store." This would prevent 12V power from the batteries, so no juice to the system unless plugged in to shore power. Their trailer might be wired like Airstream has been doing the last year or two, where the batteries are charged by the converter even if in 'store' mode, hence keeping them charged. But in "use" mode the batteries aren't being switched in to the 12v system, so there's no power if not plugged in to shore power. I agree, their problem is likely elsewhere but at least they'll have an upgraded converter!
EDIT: We discussed the issue with Pamu last month as well. Hopefully they'll get it figured out. I'm still suspecting the Use/Store switch. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-199742.html
If the converter is charging the batteries and the converter can be connected to the trailer then it would stand to reason that the batteries can be connected to the trailer.

I went back and looked at the pictures in the previous thread. The first picture in post 19 shows 12 volts between the battery positive red wire and the converter positive black wire with the battery being more positive. This should not be. Why isn't that converter positive wire the same size as the battery positive? Is it a sense wire to tell the power distribution panel that there is shore power? Pamu needs to find out why there is not 12V on that black wire. Was the shore power on when the picture was taken? If not that could explain it. But battery power and ground are reaching the fuse panel. I'm going to reiterate my suggestion that there is a burned land on the back side of that board.

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,166
I found the manual for the power center. It appears to be a Magnetek/PArallax 7355. The black wire is listed as the converter output. The two black fuses at the top of the board are the reverse polarity protection fuses. The DC wiring diagram at the front of the trailer manual is not consistent with the one in the electrical portion. The later one shows the disconnect relay. According to that diagram, the red wire comes from the disconnect relay so the relay must be in USE. Further, if the disconnect relay were stuck in STORE, the converter would still power the trailer and the batteries would not, but the batteries would not get charged, either.

I remain suspicious of reading 12V between the red wire and the black wire; I suspect the problem is on that board, not with the disconnect relay.

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,034
Images: 6
Pamu has posted the 12v issue in another post. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...-199742-3.html

In that thread she says she has replaced the solenoid and now the Use/Store is clicking but there is still no power in the trailer. I asked her to do some tracing of the wire from the solenoid because it should now have 12v on it. Possibly there is a bad fuse in the line. In an earlier post in that same thread she said the Use/Store light was red, even when not on shore power. She also said they used a portable charger to charge up the AS's batteries and they held a charge. So whether or not the converter is working, the batteries are charged and she should have power past the solenoid now.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Pamu has posted the 12v issue in another post. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...-199742-3.html

In that thread she says she has replaced the solenoid and now the Use/Store is clicking but there is still no power in the trailer. I asked her to do some tracing of the wire from the solenoid because it should now have 12v on it. Possibly there is a bad fuse in the line. In an earlier post in that same thread she said the Use/Store light was red, even when not on shore power. She also said they used a portable charger to charge up the AS's batteries and they held a charge. So whether or not the converter is working, the batteries are charged and she should have power past the solenoid now.
According to the wiring diagram in the manual, the red wire, on which she measured 12V, comes FROM the solenoid. I'm pretty sure she measured this with shore power disconnected. If so, she has 12V from the batteries at the 12v distribution panel input. I think the problem has to be on the PCB in the distribution panel.

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,034
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
According to the wiring diagram in the manual, the red wire, on which she measured 12V, comes FROM the solenoid. I'm pretty sure she measured this with shore power disconnected. If so, she has 12V from the batteries at the 12v distribution panel input. I think the problem has to be on the PCB in the distribution panel.

Al
So power from the solenoid goes to the distribution panel circuit board on the converter? Defective panel or possible loose connection??? In the attached picture, there should be 12v coming in on on the screw between 3 & 4?

My owners manual also references a distribution panel in the front of the trailer. Maybe you're referring to that one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery connection for 12v fuses.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	351936  
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,034
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
According to the wiring diagram in the manual, the red wire, on which she measured 12V, comes FROM the solenoid.
Al

Al, where did you get the wiring diagram? I don't see any at the Airstream site, just owners and parts manuals.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Al, where did you get the wiring diagram? I don't see any at the Airstream site, just owners and parts manuals.
Rich,

There are two diagrams in the owners manual. In the front there is one focused on the primary side of the 12V distribution panel and the umbilical cable. It is old and not correct. There is also one in the electrical section of the manual which appears to be correct as it has the electronic disconnect. I also found the manual for the Parallax/Magnetek 7355 which shows a picture exactly like the one Pamu posted.

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...bea329205a.pdf

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,034
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Rich,

There are two diagrams in the owners manual. In the front there is one focused on the primary side of the 12V distribution panel and the umbilical cable. It is old and not correct. There is also one in the electrical section of the manual which appears to be correct as it has the electronic disconnect. I also found the manual for the Parallax/Magnetek 7355 which shows a picture exactly like the one Pamu posted.

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net...bea329205a.pdf

Al
In my owners manual for the 2006 there is no wiring diagram. The 2005 has one but they didn't have a 23' that year, only 22', which may be the same thing, but it's a poor copy and difficult to read. The 2007 owners manual is nearly identical to the 2006, again, no diagram.

The red wire in the parallax picture, #3, is going to the battery. Pamu said in post #17 in the other thread that she was reading 12v between the red and white wires. If there is no shore power, then it's reading battery voltage? Would the door switch need to be in Use to read 12v? From that red wire connection, power should be going to the 12v fuses in that panel circuit. Could the door switch be stuck and not going to Use, staying in Store?

She should be able to pull the fuses and get a 12v reading between the white wire and one side (top?) of the fuse connector. But she says that they only have 12v when there is shore power. That doesn't make sense to me. If the converter is putting out 12v, it's feeding those same fuses (and charging the battery), but if there is no shore power and the door switch is in Use, then she should also have power for all 12v areas.

Pamu says the Use/Store red light is always on, shore power or not. If so, then possibly that switch is defective and always in Use. But if that were true, then she would have 12v inside the trailer without shore power, which she doesn't.

I'm thinking that the Use/Store switch is defective, even is the light is on. She's not getting power from her batteries, it's as if the switch is in Store mode. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. I'll bet that if she replaces the Use/Store switch her problems will be solved. I hate throwing parts at problems but I don't see any other way without more readings.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar

 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,166
The use/store switch red light is always on with shore power applied. Plus, I think it has already been changed. I thought there was 12V on the red wire with shore power off. That pretty much confirms the problem is on the circuit board to me.

Al
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
pamu's Avatar
 
2005 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 53
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The use/store switch red light is always on with shore power applied. Plus, I think it has already been changed. I thought there was 12V on the red wire with shore power off. That pretty much confirms the problem is on the circuit board to me.

Al
Fingers crossed that we are reaching the resolution of this problem. Thanks for your input. New converter arrived today.... thanks to bestconverters.com for super fast shipping!
pamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,364
we use the victron 3k converter inverter
we also use some of their other products.

they all talk together and can to inet accessible and from Bluetooth on the phone
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 converter vs. 2018 converter. Mollysdad Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 14 06-01-2018 07:11 PM
Changing out converter to an inverter/converter combo Aaron-Laura Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 10 10-09-2017 09:18 AM
Converter fuse blowing (new converter) wannaroam Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 28 07-06-2015 03:39 PM
Univolt 45 amp converter to a 30 amp converter scooterbug76 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 15 02-24-2013 03:59 PM
Yellowstone / Grand Teton Campground Recommendations JaceBeck On The Road... 13 07-26-2006 10:37 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.