Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
'69 Airstream Safari

1969 23' Safari
Altoona , Alabama
Converter questions - 69 Safari

Greetings, all! I have been lurking quite a well and now I will make the plunge into the ocean...

I am planning a converter replacement for my newly-purchased '69 Safari. I have read a good bit but cannot find answers to a few questions and thought I might get some help from those in the know.

The basic plan is:
1) Check the 110 vac system and get it squared away and functional, from the shore power hookup, through the main breaker (driver side closet), to the "Control Center" 110 vac panel at the front. Test continuity throughout and replace what I must. "Hope" that the wiring tests okay because the interior skins are in really (remarkably) good shape and I really don't want to remove them to run new wire. That would be (if you will forgive the pun) like opening a can of worms.

2) Replace the Univolt and fuse panel, which I have not even attempted plugging in because a) I have no idea if the thing is safe, b) it is reportedly not good to batteries even when working properly, and c) apparently loud. Again, I am hoping that the 12V wiring will be good.

The questions are:

1) The Univolt, which is not anchored down and looks like it hasn't been used in quite some time, is in the passenger rear outdoor compartment. Is this where it was located or just where it ended up from a PO? Most installs I have seen documented in the forums have the replacement (I am considering a PD 9245 or 9260, perhaps the 9260 because it's not that much more) placed inside the camper in a closet. Is that a better move for moisture concerns or weather? Would it be noticeably loud in one of the rear closets?

2) The current fuse block is literally attached to the back side of the bathtub, in the rear storage area with the (currently empty) battery spot. That seems to me like a really bad location. Any reason not to move it directly adjacent to the converter? (other than having to splice and extend the 12V runs that are attached to it)

3) The way I read it, the +battery, +converter output, and eventually +solar all go on the +DC set of fuse block inputs. Is the +DC from the towing vehicle supposed to go there too? Do I have this right? That just seems like connecting an awful lot of things in parallel.

4) I have read sporadic references to putting in-line fuses between the battery, converter, and the rest (in addition to the runs out of the fuse block). I already planned for a 50A circuit breaker next to the battery. Would someone be able to give a rundown on what others I should make a point of including?

5) The control center. Much of this I don't imagine will really work, seeing as I am far from an electrical engineer. I could see maybe wiring some of the switches so they controlled things (turn on the water pump, a light, or lower a disco ball from the ceiling), but I don't see sweating getting the battery or charging meters working, even if I thought they might be accurate. The way the Control Center is set up, can I just leave the wiring to it as it is and let it be as it is for aesthetics? Perhaps just pull the power lead and ground off of it?

My apologies for the long inaugural post, but I have been saving up questions through the long cold winter in Alaska and can't wait to get the Safari out of storage...

My Most Sincere Thanks,

Rush
rushmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote