Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Converter is Humming Loudly.

Just bought the 93 Excella a couple of weeks ago and in the process of fixing it up.

Loud humming is coming from the converter. It seems to have become loder in the past week. WHen we turn on the radio it is 90% humming noise. Also, when I unplug from line in garage, the battery is not supplying any voltage for lights etc. (see pic). The batteries are less than 2 years old.

1) Is there a reset switch somewhere that would charge the battery?
I ask because I had a MH where a tiny switch had to be pressed if it
popped out to charge the battery when connected to 110.

2) Is the converter original? (See pic) If replacement is warranted what converter/charger should I replace it with? Preferably I would want one where the lines match up with the new unit.

Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Generally the converter humming is a sign that the converter is energized and working (and old), though it's possible that there's some discontinuity between the converter and the batteries. The converter shouldn't be a loud hum, though.

When the converter is plugged in do the 12v lights and devices work in the trailer?

If memory serves, some Excellas had a switch to turn off the converter, but I don't think Airstream had started putting in the battery-disconnect switch by then (I may be wrong about the disconnect switch.) Newer trailers do have a store/use switch that disconnects the battery via a solenoid, and some previous owner may have installed a manual disconnect in yours.

You can have the batteries checked out by someone with a tester, or you can try charging them from a known-good source and see if they recover. If something is wrong with the converter (and they don't hum loudly or interfere with the radio when everything is working properly) it may have been over-charging the batteries, or it may be as simple as a broken connection or bad fuse between the converter and the batteries.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I consider mine a very good white noise machine. As long as it is humming it is working.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Well, I went and checked the batteries which are not 2 years old as had been stated. They are Interstate batteries (srm-24) and were bought in 2000. Both were bone dry.
Guess I will start there, but would that cause the converter to hum loudly and the radio to also drown out music by the hum?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Open batteries will no longer filter the current, so it is very possible if you replace the batteries, the hum will stop. If not, you will have two choices. First, replace the converter with a more modern unit with 2 or three stage charging. Second, try supplying a songbook so it won't have to hum any more. Okay, that was bad...
Old 05-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronguy View Post
Well, I went and checked the batteries which are not 2 years old as had been stated. They are Interstate batteries (srm-24) and were bought in 2000. Both were bone dry.
Guess I will start there, but would that cause the converter to hum loudly and the radio to also drown out music by the hum?
Trying to charge dry batteries old enough to get their learner's permit didn't help it any.

It may quiet down with good batteries. In the worst case, a better, modern 3-stage converter will likely eliminate the radio noise and isn't too expensive if this one turns out to be damaged.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Update: I replaced the two batteries yesterday and the humming over the radio speakers is virtually gone! Yay!