Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Angry Control Panel Indicators

Bought a new 1971 27' Int. I wish!!! Anyway the holding tank indicators [ series of lights] do not function.neither does the ampmeter, the voltmeter does. And the clock works !!! Once and awhile {so what} . Any clues? Near the converter there are two unconnected wires, lying in front of it, a red and a black ,both with boots about a 16# wire. Don't know what they are. I suspect they might have somthing to do with the holding tanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The barameter indicates that I'm in a tornado all the time. Tanks a lot.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Indicator lights

Hi, me again. I just cleaned all the contacts on mine, replaced the bulbs and they didn't work...ooops, forgot water in tanks...then they worked. My clock also works for 15 minutes at a time. Anyoen know where to get a replacement.
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Niftypkg,
A service manual for your AS should have a wiring diagram showing the control panel wiring.

You from Joisy (Jersey), what exit?

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Lightbulb Control Panel

What highway?? Several around me. On 287 it's the exit for route 10 East . Use the U-turn for Ridgedale Ave. Found a burned resistor from the capacitor. Replaced it. But did not reinstall the panel yet because I need a new Radio antenna. Know any cheap ones around? You from Joisey too?
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Seems whenever someone mentioned they were from Jersey someone else would ask what exit? in reference to the turnpike, I guess its a Jersey thing. I was born & raised on Long Island . It's the same as California, a nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 05:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Talking Born and raised in NY

And worked and retired in 1991 at 55. But moved to NJ in 1974 to avoid the crowds. No Turnpike near me. Looks like I'll be spending the rest of my life restoring this AS!!!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:58 PM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I have 71, 27 footer

I have the same trailer and I am working on my control panel.

The red and black wires are the leads to you ammeter in the control panel.

I have an owners manual which has the wiring dagrams in it.

I am currently soliciting info on the ammeter and you can review my threads on it in this section.

Frankly speaking,
I do not believe the ammeter ever worked. the ammeter was wired as a "shunt" (electrical term for a tap or parallel).

An ammeter must be wired in series, (electrical term for "in line").

I have other problems though and I am looking for help with those, maybe you can help. I will post a new thread.
Thanks,
smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy cONTROL INDICATORS

Smily, I see the red and back wires at the control panel. I have two r&b laying in front of the 12v fuse block both with right angle boots. Don't see any place for the them!! I'll help your problems if I can.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:24 PM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
R&B

The wires connect directly between the two large wires at the bottom of the univolt. These leads are identified as the;
Negative to trailer battery and the second is the negative load.
Mine has two screws located between the two large post'

The small wires are actually "tapped" in parrallel to the negative "buss". As I said before, an ammeter must be in series not in parallel.

I am still awaiting a response from Andy, maybe he can shed some light on the ammeter connections.
Ken
smily is offline   Reply With Quote