Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Contacting CATCON re: defective unit

My micropulse systems monitor is defective and I have been trying to contact Catcon for several weeks. I have left 13 messages and have sent 3 emails, all with no reply. Does anybody know how to contact them? Has anybody else had this issue? I did speak to Steve several weeks ago very briefly and he told me he would call me right back. He didn't! Thanks!
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
catcon

I've called them also and left messages. I e-mailed them. No response. I e-mailed Airstream they gave me info for another unit. I e-mailed them back and told them I had a catcon model. No response yet. Frustrating!!
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
catcon- monitor

The units have a 5 year warranty. I would suggest you call Airstream.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Catcon

The black tank portion of the Micro Pulse on my trailer failed. I called Catcon and told the representative I had a 20 foot Airstream and I was getting incorrect tank level readings. Without telling him which reading was wrong he guest it was the black tank. He said that Airstream should not have located the sensor directly behind the tire in such an exposed position to water, road salt and dirt; and that corrosion of the contact was the cause of the failure. Catcon promptly sent me a new sensor and detailed instructions on how to better weather proof the electrical contact. I am surprised they are treating you so poorly.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I took the advice of wolf146 and called Airstream. Jim at Airstream agreed that it is near impossible to reach Catcon but gave me some very good troubleshooting advice. After describing the problem he though that the RJ7 connectors on the sensors were probably corroded. I will check them out.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I've been working through my local dealer but after several attempts the black tank sensor still doesn't work. They're trying again next week.

I know these things are flakey but I just want to see it work once.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
catcon monitor

reddogfox - does that mean if one part of the monitor system doesn't work that the whole thing doesn't work? wolf146
Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Interesting. The black tank sensor in my 09 read incorrectly at first and has now failed completely. I would not have thought corrosion to be an issue on a unit that has been barely towed 3000 miles in summer time weather across the south.

other sensors appear to be working fine.

Was planning taking to a dealer while still under warranty after turkey day. Good to know there is likely a systematic problem with the unit.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
How long has Airstream been using this system? Our '97 stopped abruptly and I have no idea where to even look for the sensors or corrosion.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Wolf146

Only the black water system failed. The fresh water and gray water systems continued to work perfectly. In the 20' Safari/Flying Cloud the black water sensor is located directly behind the road side tire and is unshielded. I believe that better shielding might help prevent a re occurrence. I can not find my copy of Catcon waterproofing instructions but they involved using di-electric grease and sealant to protect the contracts from corrosion

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
Has anyone had any luck contacting Catcon.Our system is dead with no lights what so ever.We have been trying for 3 days to reach then but with no success.The pump
switch works but the LED system shows nothing.

Tom
upstatetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
catcon monitor

I recently was able to contact them after many attempts. Steve is very pleasant to deal with and he explained he is "on the road" a lot. He sent me a new sensor for free!!! Keep trying.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

mine is in the dealer now for repair of the black tank reading failure. now reading emty when totally full and this was after the prior repair when no blback tank reading at all. progreass? anyway are there other systems out there that people know about that are better, can replace this very questionable poor quality system and that have a better recod of performance. i am getting conviced from what i read in forums and personal experience that the micropulse and sunexplorer monitor systems are junkish. i would like to see systems that work. asking too much? do they esist? any input appreciated.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
After 37 attempts to reach Steve at Catcon I was finally able to talk to him. As everyone states, he is very nice and accomodating once you reach him. He sent me a diagnostic cable and I have now determined that the fresh water tank sensor is defective (as well at the grey and black water tank sensors). Does anyone know exactly where to cut the sheet metal pan to access the fresh water sensor. Is there any clearance between the pan and the tank proper? Can I use a hole saw or are av snips in order. It would be easy enough to patch the covering pan but repairing the water tank might prove a little more difficult! Thank for your help. If anyone needs the diagnostic cable I can pass on the details.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
We finally got resolution after 6 weeks of trying to reach Steve at Catcon. We called Airstream Customer Service to see if they could intervene and Randy contacted Steve on our behalf and asked that he contact us, which he promptly did. All communication was by email. The end result was a new unit and black water sensor in the mail within a week at no charge. Steve was wonderful to deal with, as was Randy with Airstream.
upstatetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

hope you are up and running soon with the parts and assist from steve and randy. i'm still wondering with all the problems and needs to replace sensors and units entirely is this system really designed to last or to repeatedly fail and trash?
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
It's obvious by searching threads for Catcon or Micro Pulse that Steve at Catcon is a real nice guy who never answers his email or voice messages. I've figured that part out first hand as I've been trying to get tech support for two weeks now.

Mine has never worked but I thought it might be useful since we're dry camping at the balloon fiesta. Does anyone actually have a Micro Pulse that works? Is it just junk? Am I wasting my time?
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I simply gave up on it. I can visually check all the tanks, except for the gray tank and for me it's a non-issue.

Steve is a really great guy (talked with him and emailed back and forth several times right after I got my '04). He sent me a new control unit, I installed it, it worked for maybe a few months, and when I say worked, all the tanks displayed something. Later, Airstream replaced that control unit when I was there and they re-calibrated it. I think it worked for a few weeks, then was grossly inaccurate (again), and shortly thereafter the tank status lights would work, then not, then work. I found that going into the access doors and finding the phone cable connectors and jiggling it sometimes got the tanks to show up again on the display, but still woefully inaccurate.

Since that time, tanks show levels, then don't, and even when they did, it was never really accurate by even the furthest stretch.

My advice is to simply give up on it because even in the off chance you actually get it to operate, getting it to operate properly is another headache that to me just wasn't worth it. I spent nearly 3 years on and off trying to get it to work as advertised and frankly, last 2 or 3 seasons I haven't even turned it on.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Knock on wood, I finally got mine calibrated this summer pretty well. It has worked fine.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Brookfield , Wisconsin
Market research

For those interested in providing market research input to resolve this age old issue of tank gauges I would (vendor) GREATLY appreciate your comment on post #72 of the automation research topic. Not sure how to give a "link" here but if you do a search of "RTOS_1_LLC" you will find the thread posting.

Under interest of full disclosre I am a vendor whom used this site, and others, to research small business opportunities and the referenced thread is a result of comments from this forum and others. I will be asking for additional comments relative to tank gauging in RV's in the referenced thread and again, as a small American business in this economy would GREATLY appreciate your comments.

As "real end users" those on this site are "very direct" in your opinions and "we are listenting". Wish I could say the same about my phone company, cable company, and so on.

Don as "RTOS_1_LLC", formerly C5Don.
C5Don is offline   Reply With Quote