Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Prosperity , South Carolina
Question Connectivity

Yeah, I know, RV'ing is a way to get away from it all. But still, connecting to internet can be important. We ordered AS Interstate and going through process of setting up and getting gear before it comes. I'm not too tech savvy, and sorry if this has been answered before (I could not find a thread): we may have dealer install Winegard 2.0 Wifi booster (maybe not the similar model for wifi and 4g LTE)(both have mixed reviews on Amazon). Will also likely get mobile hotspot, like Verizon jetpack. But do I need both? Has anyone found that hotspot alone gets good enough wifi for internetting? We also need connectivity for remote temp. monitor for the dog.
Any thoughts on a good setup for wifi?
Gintory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Connectivity

You donít need both. Start with a simple portable hotspot. Either a verizon jetpack 8800L or att Netgear nighthawk device.

The hotspot itself provides WiFi connectivity to the internet via the cellular modem.

If you want to use campground WiFi and feel that you want your own private networ, etc, Mount a pepwave soho router in the rear window of your coach. They are about $200 bucks new or $120 bucks used on eBay.

Thatís all you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	367064  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Prosperity , South Carolina
Connectivity

Thanks a lot for the info. The more I researched this, the more I thought a mobile hotspot would suffice. The brief time we had the AS trailer last year, I don't recall using internet. Or I don't recall a problem at state campgrounds. Just hoping we can set up a usable/reliable connection for a remote temperature monitor for the dog. Thanks again.
Gintory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would avoid campground wifi systems as they are limited and most are not secure. I prefer to use my cellular data plan and have installed a cell booster in my Airstream to improve my connectivity. If I need wifi for my laptop, I turn on the hotspot function on my phone. My booster is by SureCall.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintory View Post
Thanks a lot for the info. The more I researched this, the more I thought a mobile hotspot would suffice. The brief time we had the AS trailer last year, I don't recall using internet. Or I don't recall a problem at state campgrounds. Just hoping we can set up a usable/reliable connection for a remote temperature monitor for the dog. Thanks again.

You bet. At the end of the day, regardless of equipment, itís all about the data plan. There are a few unicorns out there if you know where to look but generally speaking your issue will bandwidth throttling once you hit 10/20/50/etc gigabytes of data in a given month. The device basically becomes unusable at that point once the carrier throttles your speed to dial-up modem days.

I tear through quite a bit of mobile data. Last week while working on the road I was in the 150-200GB usage range... for a week. Fortunately I have an older unicorn data plan so to speak that does not throttle me.

Anyhoo mobile hotspots work pretty great, you donít need a $1000+ fixed LTE modem to get the job done. Iíve looked at all the options...
Old 05-03-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Connectivity

FMCA has a decent deal with Verizon. You get a free MiFi 8800L and 25 GB/mo of data for $50/month.
https://www.fmca.com/index.php/fmca-...n-4g-mifi.html
The 8800L works great.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
FMCA also had a deal on Sprint MiFi for $49/mo (Unlimited to 50Gb with throttling after)with up front $39 for the MiFi. We opted trying it to see about connectivity for our 2019 Classic and the Pepwave router. Works great. (Avoiding AT&T) Depending on areas would likely necessitate some booster. We have been in Virginia and on a hill and get about 59Mbs down and about half up. Where we are presently the throttle hasn't been seen much. We average 100 Gb a month or so.
But we have been in areas where a booster was needed and works great.
Karen-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I know very little about connectivity and hardware.
But I have a Verizon plan with unlimited data.
I can also use my phone as a hotspot.
I take it the data used as a hotspot is counted separately from my phone data??
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad;
I take it the data used as a hotspot is counted separately from my phone data??

That is correct. And once you hit a fixed cap your speed slows to turtle speed. For hotspot this is typically between 5 and 30GB usage in a given month depending on your plan.

Unlimited data doesnít mean you have the same experience once you pass a certain usage threshold remember dial-up modems? You can use all the data you want, it just takes an hour to load a web page
Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I have TMobile 55+ grandfathered in with unlimited data and hotspot on my phone and only throttled depending on cell tower traffic. I usually stream Youtube TV when I don't have campground cable TV.

I have had monthly usage at times 150-200Gb using the phone as the hotspot for the trailer and data. I have also seen throttle down of my Youtube TV stream such that resolution plurs a little and then comes and goes depending on those tower traffic issues. I have also had no speed changes above the 50 Gb mark for long periods too.

Since getting the MiFi the phone sees a great less usage. But since I am locked in on the phone with the unlimited and also coverage in Canada and Mexico for free I won't be changing it.
Karen-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tomball , Texas
Nomad Internet

Has anyone tried Nomad Internet? They claim unlimited, un-throtlled 4gLTE. If you supply the device (for example: netgear Nighthawk), they will supply you with a simcard (AT&T) for it for $900/year. It seems too good. There are reviews that say it's great and others that say it's terrible. I was wondering if anyone has tried them.
DGEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
I live in STL, but my AS is currently in ATX - thinking of trying the Nomad Internet for ATX for the time being when I'm staying down there. I'll give an update once able.

Jeff Radford
2019 Classic 30RB
2016 F150 Limited
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
PlasticThingsHaveNoSoul

2020 27' Globetrotter
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Campground WIFI vacuums big time.... Even when you pay for "Premium" service.

I ordered a Pepwave MAX-BR1-MK2-LTEA cellular modem/router, and am using it with the paddle antennas until I get back home in the spring and can install the Poynting 5-in-1 Cellular, WIFI & GPS RV and Marine Roof Antenna. It's been working fine just sitting at the back of the dinette table.

After evaluating the available data plans, I went with the Cricket 100GB for $90, then added another 105GB additional on it for $70. I don't have to worry about a gray market SIM being yanked out from under me, and I can add another carrier SIM at any time if needed.

I think it should be just fine for our needs. Use it for YouTubeTV, and Disney.

Regards,
Ron
rhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Saint Louis , MO
This is actually a pretty legit feeling deal - any reason in your opinion you couldn't utilize one of the Nighthawk Mobile Hotspot and Router?

Jeff Radford
2019 Classic 30RB
2016 F150 Limited
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Indianapolis , Indiana
Connectivityí for pet temp monitor

Curious if you found a solution for your pet temp monitor. What did you end up getting a mobile hotspot? I found that campground Wi-Fi will not work with the temp stick I bought because of the gateway they use. And iPhone hotspot will not work to as the monitor only sends a snapshot every 60 minutes and the iPhone hotspot drops it.
amckibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI there are specialized sub-forums which may have newer threads on these issues IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/

. . . which has 3 sub-forums including this one:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/

Also these "pet temp monitor" search results may help out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pet+...=airforums.com
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...do-210692.html

Good luck.

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote