Old 05-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prosperity , South Carolina
Question Connectivity

Yeah, I know, RV'ing is a way to get away from it all. But still, connecting to internet can be important. We ordered AS Interstate and going through process of setting up and getting gear before it comes. I'm not too tech savvy, and sorry if this has been answered before (I could not find a thread): we may have dealer install Winegard 2.0 Wifi booster (maybe not the similar model for wifi and 4g LTE)(both have mixed reviews on Amazon). Will also likely get mobile hotspot, like Verizon jetpack. But do I need both? Has anyone found that hotspot alone gets good enough wifi for internetting? We also need connectivity for remote temp. monitor for the dog.
Any thoughts on a good setup for wifi?

Gintory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Connectivity

You donít need both. Start with a simple portable hotspot. Either a verizon jetpack 8800L or att Netgear nighthawk device.

The hotspot itself provides WiFi connectivity to the internet via the cellular modem.

If you want to use campground WiFi and feel that you want your own private networ, etc, Mount a pepwave soho router in the rear window of your coach. They are about $200 bucks new or $120 bucks used on eBay.

Thatís all you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	863.3 KB
ID:	367064  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prosperity , South Carolina
Connectivity

Thanks a lot for the info. The more I researched this, the more I thought a mobile hotspot would suffice. The brief time we had the AS trailer last year, I don't recall using internet. Or I don't recall a problem at state campgrounds. Just hoping we can set up a usable/reliable connection for a remote temperature monitor for the dog. Thanks again.
Gintory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would avoid campground wifi systems as they are limited and most are not secure. I prefer to use my cellular data plan and have installed a cell booster in my Airstream to improve my connectivity. If I need wifi for my laptop, I turn on the hotspot function on my phone. My booster is by SureCall.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintory View Post
Thanks a lot for the info. The more I researched this, the more I thought a mobile hotspot would suffice. The brief time we had the AS trailer last year, I don't recall using internet. Or I don't recall a problem at state campgrounds. Just hoping we can set up a usable/reliable connection for a remote temperature monitor for the dog. Thanks again.

You bet. At the end of the day, regardless of equipment, itís all about the data plan. There are a few unicorns out there if you know where to look but generally speaking your issue will bandwidth throttling once you hit 10/20/50/etc gigabytes of data in a given month. The device basically becomes unusable at that point once the carrier throttles your speed to dial-up modem days.

I tear through quite a bit of mobile data. Last week while working on the road I was in the 150-200GB usage range... for a week. Fortunately I have an older unicorn data plan so to speak that does not throttle me.

Anyhoo mobile hotspots work pretty great, you donít need a $1000+ fixed LTE modem to get the job done. Iíve looked at all the options...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Connectivity

FMCA has a decent deal with Verizon. You get a free MiFi 8800L and 25 GB/mo of data for $50/month.
https://www.fmca.com/index.php/fmca-...n-4g-mifi.html
The 8800L works great.

AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote