RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I'll try that , Peter, if Camco let's me down.

“The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"You can't fix stupid...but you can work with it"
-- Wiley Miller

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Simple Solution

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...G5XA4FRY&psc=1

Uncle bob recommended this; in my Cart for next Amazon order. Especially if you only need 15 amps; no 50 amp snake to wrestle.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post

Uncle bob recommended this; in my Cart for next Amazon order. Especially if you only need 15 amps; no 50 amp snake to wrestle.
yup - I have a similar 50->15 as well for when I'm at home. I run a standard 20A / 50' extension cord to the trailer when it's at my house. Far more convenient - those 50A cords are something special to deal with!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
So, a follow up on my e-mail to Camco regarding their 30A >50 A adaptor. According to Rich at Camco their adaptor is wired so that one leg of the 50 amp circuit is hot and the other side is dead. For a further explanation, I called him. He said that as long as long as everything in the trailer is wired through the converter that it didn't matter if only one leg was hot; current would be bridged at the converter and fed to all parts of the trailer. If that's the case with the AS, everything in the trailer should be powered, even if I can't run multiple things at one time.

Logically, this makes sense to me. Otherwise one might hook up at an RV park with only 30amp service, plug in with the adaptor, and find that half the trailer is receiving no power at all. Do I have this right conceptually?

Quote:

This does look like the answer; no multiple adaptors, no dragging the 50amp cable around, just use an extension cord. Could you operate one AC unit (and nothing else) with this adaptor when hooked to a 20 amp house circuit? If so, would a 12 gauge extension cord be adequate or would 10 gauge be required?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 09-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Connecting 50 amp Classic to house service

Extension cord wire gauge depends on length. Generally the larger wire, to a point is better. 12 gauge is good for maybe 50 feet at 20 amps for reasonable loads less air conditioning. 10 would be better for running air conditioning to reduce chance of voltage drop.

It also depends on the quality of the outlet you are plugging into and the distance from the power panel to the outlet. Many houses are wired with outlets good for 15 amps on a 20 amp circuit. A true 20 amp outlet has a T-shaped opening for one of the prongs to tell you it's really good for 30 amps. A standard duplex outlet might not be able to handle 20 amps continuously.

I have installed real 30 amp RV outlets on places I visit so I can get full power to my 30 amp AS. Just safer and easier, IMHO.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Extension cord wire gauge depends on length. Generally the larger wire, to a point is better. 12 gauge is good for maybe 50 feet at 20 amps for reasonable loads less air conditioning. 10 would be better for running air conditioning to reduce chance of voltage drop.
. . .
FWIW I concur, assuming the A/C have the Easy Start add-on.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

It also depends on the quality of the outlet you are plugging into and the distance from the power panel to the outlet. Many houses are wired with outlets good for 15 amps on a 20 amp circuit. A true 20 amp outlet has a T-shaped opening for one of the prongs to tell you it's really good for 30 amps. A standard duplex outlet might not be able to handle 20 amps continuously.

I have installed real 30 amp RV outlets on places I visit so I can get full power to my 30 amp AS. Just safer and easier, IMHO.
Thanks for the info. My main interest is being able to run lights, a battery maintainer, and the fridge on occasion.....AC would be a bonus but not necessary....and rewiring would mean a new power panel and significant expense.

I think I recall from other posts that the AC doesn't pull near 20A continuously and I wouldn't be running anything else if were running the AC. The exterior garage outlet I'll be using is only about 15 feet from the power panel and I have a 50' 12 gauge extension cord. I can hook this up, run the AC, and measure voltage at the trailer. If there's a problem (there hasn't been one with voltage drop using the 15000 BTU unit in my FC on occasion) , I can switch to a 10 gauge cord. Or I'll just stick to the fridge, lights, and maintainer. All I really need...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I thought I'd get a 50 amp to 30 amp adaptor, and then connect the 30 amp to 20 amp dogbone to that to access to my garage service. Any problems with this plan?
That is what I have done for almost 3 years without any apparent problems. I can run ONE of the A/C's to cool things off when working in the trailer. It is a 20 amp breaker, with nothing else on the circuit. My trailer is not real close so I invested a quality extension cord.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
That's the ticket!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yikes !!!

Ok, A normal 50A plug on a pedestal is 240V between the hot leads. Each one is 120V to ground. The pedestal here in the campground has a nice big "240V" sticker on it for that reason. Each leg gives you 6KW to play with. One leg is permanently wired to half the breakers in your panel.

There are two dog bone adapters. One goes from a 30A pedestal to a 50A trailer 99% of the time that's the one we talk about. There is also a completely different dog bone adapter that will let you go from a 50A pedestal to a 30A trailer. They don't work the same, aren't wired the same, don't do the same thing.

If you have the adapters from Colonial, you have a 30A pedestal to 50A trailer adapter. You also have a 30A to 20A adapter that takes a 30A trailer and allows it to plug into 15 or 20A service. I'm sure there is also an adapter somewhere that allows a 15A trailer to plug into a 30A pedestal.

The 30A to 50A trailer adapter powers up both hot leads on the 50A connector. If it didn't you would have no way to run half the things on the trailer. They simply would not ever turn on. That does not mean you *can* turn everything on. There simply isn't 100A of current in the 30A circuit. It will not energize everything at once. You have 12,000 W available on the 50A connector. You have 3,600 W available with the 30A connector.

I would be very careful of recommendations about running an AC on a 15 or 20A circuit. The proviso "with an easy start mod" is often buried a bit deep in the description and is important. Some 20A breakers will supply a *lot* more than 20A so yes, you may get away with it even without the easy start.

Lots of fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
OTRA15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

Why not just bite the bullet, upgrade the wiring, and put a correct 50 amp outlet on the outside wall? Is the breaker panel nearby? That way you would have full use of the new AS.

I agree! I have a 30 Amp service plug on my house for the FC.
I RARELY use the 30 Amp, only to check the Air Conditioner; normally I use a 12 Ga. wire to a house outlet to power the thing.
It works!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Yikes !!!

Ok, A normal 50A plug on a pedestal is 240V between the hot leads. Each one is 120V to ground. The pedestal here in the campground has a nice big "240V" sticker on it for that reason. Each leg gives you 6KW to play with. One leg is permanently wired to half the breakers in your panel.

There are two dog bone adapters. One goes from a 30A pedestal to a 50A trailer 99% of the time that's the one we talk about. There is also a completely different dog bone adapter that will let you go from a 50A pedestal to a 30A trailer. They don't work the same, aren't wired the same, don't do the same thing.

If you have the adapters from Colonial, you have a 30A pedestal to 50A trailer adapter. You also have a 30A to 20A adapter that takes a 30A trailer and allows it to plug into 15 or 20A service. I'm sure there is also an adapter somewhere that allows a 15A trailer to plug into a 30A pedestal.

The 30A to 50A trailer adapter powers up both hot leads on the 50A connector. If it didn't you would have no way to run half the things on the trailer. They simply would not ever turn on. That does not mean you *can* turn everything on. There simply isn't 100A of current in the 30A circuit. It will not energize everything at once. You have 12,000 W available on the 50A connector. You have 3,600 W available with the 30A connector.

I would be very careful of recommendations about running an AC on a 15 or 20A circuit. The proviso "with an easy start mod" is often buried a bit deep in the description and is important. Some 20A breakers will supply a *lot* more than 20A so yes, you may get away with it even without the easy start.

Lots of fun.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Yikes, indeed . Ok, so please help me get this straight.

1. You wrote, "The 30A to 50A trailer adapter powers up both hot leads on the 50A connector. If it didn't you would have no way to run half the things on the trailer".

According to Camco, this 30A pedestal to 50A trailer adaptor on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55185-P...amp+rv+adapter

only heats up ONE leg of the 50 amp circuit. To be clear, if I buy one of these adaptors will it provide power to only half the things in my 30' Classic? Why would they market such an (almost literally) half-a$$ed device?

2. Earlier in this thread it was posted that you had previously suggested this twist lock 15A Male to 50A Female adaptor:

Regardless if it was your recommendation or not, is there a way to tell whether this would provide power to everything in the trailer when used with an appropriate extension cord? (Whether you could actually run everything in the trailer at one time, or even the AC, is not the issue.)

Thanks.

Mike

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #33
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Mike, Uncle bob is correct, a 30 amp pedestal dog bone to your 50 amp shore cable will light up the entire trailer with one exception, the red indicator light on the trailer end of the shore cable. Mine only lights up when plugged into a 50 amp outlet. I couldn't find the amazon description that confused the discussion. 30 to 50 lights up both 50 amp cable legs.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Hi Bob,

Yikes, indeed . Ok, so please help me get this straight.

1. You wrote, "The 30A to 50A trailer adapter powers up both hot leads on the 50A connector. If it didn't you would have no way to run half the things on the trailer".

According to Camco, this 30A pedestal to 50A trailer adaptor on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55185-P...amp+rv+adapter

only heats up ONE leg of the 50 amp circuit. To be clear, if I buy one of these adaptors will it provide power to only half the things in my 30' Classic? Why would they market such an (almost literally) half-a$$ed device?

2. Earlier in this thread it was posted that you had previously suggested this twist lock 15A Male to 50A Female adaptor:

Regardless if it was your recommendation or not, is there a way to tell whether this would provide power to everything in the trailer when used with an appropriate extension cord? (Whether you could actually run everything in the trailer at one time, or even the AC, is not the issue.)

Thanks.

Mike
Hi

The 15A to 50A adapter powers up both "hots" of the 50A circuit.

The Amazon listing is for an adapter that powers up both hot lines on the 50A side. If you see info to the contrary, they are confused with another adapter. People *do* get confused from time to time

They both supply power to everything in a 50A trailer. If you turn everything on, you will pop the breaker.

The easy way to see if this is the case is to buy one and plug it in. If you can turn on everything (one thing at a time) then both hot lines are active. You can also check it with a multimeter to see what's hooked to what.

Bob
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Hi

The 15A to 50A adapter powers up both "hots" of the 50A circuit.

The Amazon listing is for an adapter that powers up both hot lines on the 50A side. If you see info to the contrary, they are confused with another adapter. People *do* get confused from time to time

They both supply power to everything in a 50A trailer. If you turn everything on, you will pop the breaker.
The "info to the contrary" came directly from Camco customer service when I called them. I told the guy exactly which model adaptor I was interested in and he's the one who told me only one side of the circuit would be hot. Oh well, not the first time I've gotten bad info from "customer service". Thanks, Bob.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Mike, Uncle bob is correct, a 30 amp pedestal dog bone to your 50 amp shore cable will light up the entire trailer with one exception, the red indicator light on the trailer end of the shore cable. Mine only lights up when plugged into a 50 amp outlet. I couldn't find the amazon description that confused the discussion. 30 to 50 lights up both 50 amp cable legs.
Thanks, James. It's a moot point now but the discussion is here:

https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx1S8...sin=B000BUQOGI

There is one person who definitively says both legs aren't hot. Maybe he had been in contact with the same Camco rep I was!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Best way to be sure is purchase an adapter, then ring out the wiring with a multimeter to determine exactly how it's wired.

I would find it faintly surprising if both 50 amp hot leads were not jumped to the 30 amp hot lead...for convenience..
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #38
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well the Camco that I have powers up both legs .....

If you talk to the guy again, ask him why they wire up this one so it only powers half the trailer. Since the circuit on the other side is a 50A load, there is no benefit in just wiring one the way he thinks it's wired. Wiring it to 100A of load is no "worse".

Want to bet a case of beer on how it's wired?

Bob
Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Hi

Well the Camco that I have powers up both legs .....

If you talk to the guy again, ask him why they wire up this one so it only powers half the trailer. Since the circuit on the other side is a 50A load, there is no benefit in just wiring one the way he thinks it's wired. Wiring it to 100A of load is no "worse".

Want to bet a case of beer on how it's wired?

Bob
If I understood him correctly, his explanation was that power would be bridged on the other side of the converter, so it didn't matter if only one side of the 50amp circuit was hot. It didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time. As has been suggested, I'll probably just invest the $20 in the adaptor and test it out for myself. If it doesn't work, Amazon will take it back.

Anyway, I wouldn't take the bet; how about if I just buy you a beer some day.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
SF Greater Bay Area , California
I totally agree with Wulfraat. I would just add "don't forget a surge protector. How and where are you going to connect one?

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote