Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
Confused about front and side electrical inputs

We have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB that has front and side electrical connections (plus solar). I understand the front is mainly for connecting a generator; but can it be used for a regular connection if for some reason the umbilical cord can't reach the side connector? Also I store the trailer in a RV unit that has 110 power. Usually, I connect the cord from the 110 to the front connector while in storage. I also keep the switch to 'Use" and not "Storage". I check my batteries monthly and have not experienced much loss of water.
Is this OK? I've heard about batteries getting fried and that the front connector should not be used for anything else but a generator hookup.
cdanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The front electric hook-up is the same as the one on the side. We use our front hook-up as often as the side. As a matter of fact we are hooked-up to 30 amp at the front of the trailer tonight in Jacksonville and have been for the last five days. We also use the front hook-up at home.

I don't know who told you that the front hook-up is for generators only. As far as I know, both hook-ups are fully interchangeable.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
Thanks for the info. I was told that by a service person at an Airstream dealership. It had something to do about a relay in the converter. Didn't understand what he was saying as electrical stuff is beyond me.
cdanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
There is an automatic transfer switch that activates when AC Power is sensed at the front connector. When AC is sensed at the front connector, (from either shore power or a Generator), this transfer switch disconnects the rear receptacle AC power to make sure power to the internal circuits, only comes from a single source.

You can attach your generator to either connector, or your shore power cable to either connector. The circuits in the Airstream cannot tell the difference between Shore Power and Generator Power, they are both 110Volts AC 60HZ. Either works, you just don not want both at the same time.
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote