Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Circuit Breaker trips more continuously..

Good evening. Over the past several weeks the circuit breaker to the electrical outlet above the kitchen counter on my 2016 FC 26U is tripping more and more continuously.

I've been in denial because I am stumped on how to trouble shoot this issue. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Many thanks!
Jim Ford
Copper Hill Va
Jamesbford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
That one is on the GFCi branch. does it trip with something plugged in and in use or does it trip randomly? The refrigerator is connected to that circuit and so is the other outside outlet.

The most common issues are crud and water in the outdoor outlets and the breaker itself. A new breaker is available at home depot for about 35 it is a standard Cutler hammer CL type 15A GFCI so they are easy to come by. If you're handy with a multi-meter you can track down the issue.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Don't delay fixing this. Circuit breakers popping are a warning not to be ignored.
Good luck
mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
If crud and water are the culprits, how to clean? Shut off power, put the trailer in “storage mode” unscrew the outlet and clean??

Or buy a new circuit breaker and install. I looked at the breaker and it's part of a larger panel of breakers. Do I unscrew the entire panel, pull out and install? Is this that straight forward? Jim
Jamesbford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
At a minimum disconnect the trailer from AC if you’re plugged into shore power and turn off the inverter. The Use/Store switch is optional as it controls the 12v system. Can’t hurt, though.

As I recall the breaker panel cover snaps on the front but I could be wrong and there are a couple of screws. The breakers themselves tip in.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Sounds like to me that all this is guess work. One guessing the circuit breaker, one guessing the plug, one guessing it’s contamination. Here’s an idea , get an electrical person with a meter to check it. Then replace the part that’s bad. It might be a simple as tightening a loose connection. That way you can stop just guessing.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbford View Post
If crud and water are the culprits, how to clean? Shut off power, put the trailer in “storage mode” unscrew the outlet and clean??

Or buy a new circuit breaker and install. I looked at the breaker and it's part of a larger panel of breakers. Do I unscrew the entire panel, pull out and install? Is this that straight forward? Jim
Do you have a multimeter? If not, tell me a little more about how and when it trips.

Disconnect shore power and then You'll have to unscrew the outlet cover and inspect the back side of the outlet for water and contaminates. Inspect the refrigerator cord plug for contaminates also. Wipe it off.

If that does not help you can, guess that it's the breaker, it is easy to replace, but I'd buy a multimeter and test it first. You do unscrew and remove the panel front and then you will see how each breaker snaps into place with a spring latch. The GFCI breaker also has a ground wire that must be disconnected from the neutral/ground bus.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Breaker Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
guess that it's the breaker, it is easy to replace, but I'd buy a multimeter and test it first. You do unscrew and remove the panel front and then you will see how each breaker snaps into place with a spring latch. The GFCI breaker also has a ground wire that must be disconnected from the neutral/ground bus.
I have had to replace a breaker at my house from using and older saw (not double insulated or grounded) to many times on the same outlet. If it trips too many times, they get weak.
Easy to replace even with my limited mechanical ability.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Step away from the breaker

There is a lightening bolt trying to escape into the people tank somewhere on that circuit. The breaker is the gatekeeper. Everytime you reset the breaker, you reload the bolt. Soon it will fail and you may find out what a simple electrical issue fixed by a Mobil RV Tech or electrical savvy person can look like when the main breaker on the post outside becomes the gatekeeper. Stop resetting and beg, borrow, or buy some help sooner than later. Your questions indicate your level of knowledge and electrical experience is too light for the forum to walk you through troubleshooting anything but a simple visual inspection. This isn't like plumbing where you wipe up the drips or spills after. It's like fire, molten copper sprayed across glass and melted counter tops, burnt wires that have to be routed behind cabinets.
WARNING WILL ROBINSON, DANGER, DANGER!
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
To help us with suggestions, what is it that you are attempting to run from that outlet? Coffee maker, instant pot? Look at the label and determine the watts it will pull.

If the breaker trips with nothing going on, that is a different set of diagnostic procedures.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The biggest problem with GFIs is they get weak with age. Just replace it and be done. No amount of testing will duplicate the real world condition of the breaker's internals. I just did that on my 15 year old trailer while parked at Airstream. Airstream "Part's Lady found an exact duplicate for me.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote