Old 06-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
circuit breaker replacement

Hi all, I'm looking for a simple swap out replacement for the original circuit breakers in our 1964 Globetrotter, since one is a little weak. In the eighteen years we've had this, we replaced the Univolt with something more modern, and all the lighting is LED. We have no AC and no plans to add one. I've replaced breakers in my house panel before, this seems simple, right? Curious to see who chimes in with what advice. My preference would be to just change the breakers and keep the old box, with more significant upgrades in the near future. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream circuit breakers.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	369313  

Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Just replace the breakers like you do at home. Double bonus points will be awarded if you unplug the trailer from any 120V power before you do it.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
That's what I was figuring, but curious if anyone had any kernels of wisdom to add. It looks straight forward and I just have to find the right physical size breakers. And, yeah, I'll unplug it from 120V.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I don't think you can just replace the breakers. And why would you replace a inferior product with any one. Buy a new panel and get new breakers. Square D QO series are still the best breakers on the market IMO.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I don't think you can just replace the breakers. And why would you replace a inferior product with any one. Buy a new panel and get new breakers. Square D QO series are still the best breakers on the market IMO.
Thanks- I can't find the correct, ancient replacement breakers, so I'll replace the box. There is nothing at all wrong with the box, no corrosion and wired properly, so nothing inferior and probably better quality than the same type of replacement box now available. I don't want to/need to get into a complete re-wire as I have a recent inverter and AGM battery, and just want to change out the old breakers. All it powers is the pump, fridge, ceiling fan and lights.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Greenville , South Carolina
What did you replace the universal system with? Did you go behind the panels are you can do everything without taking the interior panels off.? I want to do the same but I don't want to go inside the wall
VetteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Leawood , Kansas
I think what you do depends on how much wire you have remaining after you take out you old breaker box. Removing just the lower skin on the street side wouldn't be so hard. You might find that you could go forward or backward with your new breaker box location and have plenty of wire to make it look pretty and not pulled tight with your new box. I had my plug running out a piece of 3" PVC with a Thetford cap on it headed straight down. When I had it put on a new frame, A&P Vintage Trailer set it up for a stainless steel weather tight 30A plug that I can put either forward or aft of my wheel well.

I used a GE 120/240 100 Amp box that was 4 positions, so up to 8 circuits. I looked at all of them at the Big Box Stores. I'm using this because I'm going to use the MSH 3012 for load assist, so circuits will make it twice through the breaker box.

There was a pretty useful Siemens box that was 2 positions or 4 circuits that is 120 or 240, 70 Amp. There's also a little 30 Amp Square D box that would be fine if you're just doing 3 circuits in 2 positions. My old breaker box was mounted on a piece of angle sticking up from the frame. Now it's on the fender, mounted on a slant, in an area that wouldn't be useful for storage, but nicely accessible from my street-side "garage" door.
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I would just replace the box in the same location. All the other electrical and other utilities are in the same area, and it's easy to get to. It's really just a matter of swapping out the old box for something new. The breakers would be the easiest to just replace, and it's a bummer to have to change out the box- the wiring and the box are fine, no corrosion. My MO with the trailer has been to upgrade when it made sense, and keep it the same when it already works well.