Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Traverse City , Michigan
Checking my plan for electrical during remodel

So the PO removed all the fixtures all the appliances etc. Left wires hanging out of the interior skin. I have since removed all the interior skin and insulation. wiring looks just fine. I have replaced the 7pin power cable as well as the shore line cable. I am replacing a bad GFI breaker now. I need to make sure wiring is ok before I cover it all back up. Test my plan. I think I will put wire nuts ( temporary) on the ends of all exposed wire. Then I will energize the AC and test each end point. Then I will connect it to the truck ( no batteries yet) and do the same for trailer lights as well as all other 12 volt ends. Then will plug in the AMP and test again. Is this a terrible plan vs just try to test continuity of every single wire?
Davidhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Excella
Traverse City , Michigan
second try

Still hoping to get some help on this plan. Since my last post, I did power up the AC and verified its live. However without all the plugs installed, anything in series wasn't live.
The 12 Volt DC is more mysterious to me. I need a way to address the switches. Again, previous owner took it all apart so all I have are the wires. I can test for continuity and I can power up the system and see where I am getting power. There are going to be dead wires because switches are not installed yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Davidhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My first recommendation would be to get the shop manual, or at least an accurate wiring diagram. Second recommendation is not to put power to the system and then go around looking for juice--good chance of getting a shock going this route.

Now, with the wiring diagram in hand, I would check every wire for continuity AND insulation. Continuity is easy, the most fool-proof way is to add a long extension and an alligator clip to your meter so you can literally connect to each end of the wire in question.

The other thing to check is insulation. This is best done with a meter known as a "megger" which can dump high volts into the system to help ensure you don't have nicked wires that are leaking to the shell or to one another. If you don't have a megger, you can still use a conventional VOM. Just attach one lead to the shell, and the other to every one of your wires in turn. You don't want to see any continuity between your wiring and the shell. Next, you would want to do the same for those wires that run in bundles, that is put one lead to the first wire, and then check for leakage with every wire in the bundle, then move to the next wire and repeat.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote