Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Herndon , VA
Champion Generator

I have a 2021 Caravel 16 which has an external propane port on the A frame. I understand this to be a low pressure port.

1) Can I connect it directly to the Campion 2500 dual fuel generator that I just bought?

2) Is the low pressure the right pressure for the Champion?

3) Is the pressure the same as might be needed for a propane grill?

The AS came with a (short) propane hose with a quick connect fitting and cutoff that fits on the AS port. It has a threaded female fitting on the other end and I assume I can find a male quick connect that will screw in and that will match the generator.

Thanks
dcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
You may be able to connect it to the low pressure port.

There is a modification that can be made to the regulator (see https://www.mpking.com/2021/02/conne...rator.html?m=1) and it works very well, but the parts listed may not work with your regulator.

On my regulator, the connectors were not the same size as others apparently are. Because of this difference, the new connectors I purchased did not fit.

I will probably take the linked guide to a local propane supplier and see if they can get me the right size connectors.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
I went through a couple of fittings until I found the right thread adapters. I'll list below what I'm pretty sure I ended up with.

We have a Champion 2500 and connected to the low pressure port on our 25' FC we can run the generator but it runs a bit rich. After starting I have to close the valve a bit on the Airstream.

Runs much better on a regular propane tank and we purchased a 1gal for the occasional use. The Champion starts easiest on gas but it's nice ot have options.

Steve

Male OPD x Male Type 2 Quick Connect

High-Pressure Brass Pipe Fitting, Adapter with Gasket
1/4 NPTF Female x M12 x 1.5 mm Male
From: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/128/52 Part: 50785k868
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I ran up to Lowes and grabbed a 1/4 to 1/4 male coupler and 1/4 to 1/4 female couple and used them rather than the reducing connectors from that link.

Worked well.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Now that I finally completed this modification, these are the parts I used, which are available on Amazon. My regulator did not require reducing couplers. Apparently, some regulators have 1/8 NPT outlets/inlets. Mine were 1/4 NPT. Aside from that, if you follow the direction in the link at post #2, it should all work.

This is the shutoff valve to connect to the smaller regulator (to use a regular propane bottle) and the quick connect adapter to connect to the larger safety valve. The 4 piece set also includes a 1/4 male NPT coupler and a 1/4 female NPT coupler you will need to connect it all together: https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propa...K8W&th=1&psc=1

I also purchased the quick connect dust caps and an extension hose and used the yellow teflon tape for gas applications.

The most difficult thing I encountered was disassembling the stock Champion regulator/safety valve. It was exceptionally tight.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:13 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Morro Bay , CA
Those who have the Champion Dual Fuel 2500 generator, have you been able to power your AC (with Soft Start) on propane? I added a Micro-Air EasyStart on my single AC and looking for a generator. I like the idea of using propane especially from the Airstream tanks.
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
My AC works perfectly with the 2500 on propane (15K unit with easy start).
Old 12-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith View Post
Those who have the Champion Dual Fuel 2500 generator, have you been able to power your AC (with Soft Start) on propane? I added a Micro-Air EasyStart on my single AC and looking for a generator. I like the idea of using propane especially from the Airstream tanks.
I had the 3500Champion Dual Fuel and only ran on propane for 3 years, but got tired of loading/unloading 95lbs. It did run fine. 2 years ago, I got the Honda 2200 Propane model from Genconnex; the generator is warranted for 3 years if you purchase from them! Weight is 45 lbs and works great even with my 15000AC running even at 6K altitude. I have a pilot screw for high altitude, but have not had to use it yet. They do a great job of integrating the propane conversion. (see picture below) Genconnex has great reputation with these conversions and are certified by Honda.

My brother in law has the new Champion2500 and runs on propane with his 15000ac on his new Bigfoot 25' and says it works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda genconex 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	426588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda Genconnex.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	426589  

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:04 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Herndon , VA
Direct connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7176 View Post
You may be able to connect it to the low pressure port.

There is a modification that can be made to the regulator (see https://www.mpking.com/2021/02/conne...rator.html?m=1) and it works very well, but the parts listed may not work with your regulator.

On my regulator, the connectors were not the same size as others apparently are. Because of this difference, the new connectors I purchased did not fit.

I will probably take the linked guide to a local propane supplier and see if they can get me the right size connectors.

Question - Why do I have to make a modification to the regulator? It would seem that I would be using the AS regulator and that I would just connect the port on the A frame to the generator with a straight hose.
dcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorner View Post
Question - Why do I have to make a modification to the regulator? It would seem that I would be using the AS regulator and that I would just connect the port on the A frame to the generator with a straight hose.
Dcorner, you are correct. You simply connect the low pressure input port on the generator to the low pressure port on the trailer.

The only caveat is that the 1/4inch inner diameter low pressure port on the trailer is only capable of running one smaller generator like a Honda eu2200i or equivalent. If you try to run two Honda eu2200i generators in parallel off the same port (or use a single higher power generator) the 1/4" line on the trailer will not be able to supply enough propane at a high enough pressure to serve the larger generation capability. .

There is a solution for this (if needed). The main low pressure propane line on your trailer is larger than 1/4" in order to serve the hungry oven/stovetop plus the propane space heater plus the propane hot water heater that can be running simultaneously. Airstream places a Y-adapter near the A-frame that splits off a short 1/4" hose that feeds the 1/4" quick connect low pressure port on the trailer.

It is pretty easy to replace the Y-adapter and 1/4" hose plus 1/4" quick connector and the 1/4" shutoff valve with 3/8" equivalent components.

After this upgrade, you can use 3/8" hose to connect to your generator(s) and the capacity problem is solved.

My pair of Genconnex propane Honda eu2200i generators have 3/8" quick disconnect couplers on them, so after we upgraded my trailer disconnect port + hoses to 3/8", I can easily run both generators at full throttle with no power loss or stalling.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Did the Champion generator come with a propane hose and a regulator? If so, then it would be pretty easy to simply connect that directly to one of your propane tanks and skip the low pressure propane port on your Airstream. No modifications required. It’s no more difficult than connecting a new propane tank to a backyard grill.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorner View Post

The larger part (the safety valve) is needed to control the amount of propane flowing into the generator. Without it, the generator will receive the full flow at all times.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Did the Champion generator come with a propane hose and a regulator? If so, then it would be pretty easy to simply connect that directly to one of your propane tanks and skip the low pressure propane port on your Airstream. No modifications required. It’s no more difficult than connecting a new propane tank to a backyard grill.

This is also a viable alternative. Being able to connect to the QC port is perhaps a bit easier. You don’t have to disconnect one of your tanks, although I guess you could always leave one disconnected.

Regardless, I think being able to use the QC port is a nice feature and would guess that’s what drove others to figure out how to make it work.

If the Champion was designed like the Genconnex Honda, then it appears you could simply connect the hose straight away as foobar suggests above (I don’t have experience with the Honda). But Champion built their unit to principally run from a propane tank, which is why their connection hose includes a regulator (the little part) and the safety valve (the bigger part). The safety valve controls fuel flow based on the generator’s demand. I presume the Honda has that control built in.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:13 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Jeff7176 has stated it correctly. The Champion regulator has two parts, a pressure regulator and the other larger disk is a demand regulator. For those who have see a scuba setup, the high pressure 2200psi to 110psi is at the tank, the demand regulator is at your mouth. The air from the scuba tank only flows when you inhale. Champion is set the same.

Be aware the fitting at the Champion generator is special with a "finger" that is required to allow running on propane. I couldn't find one anywhere on the internet. If you need one you have to purchase another hose/regulator from Champion.

I purchased two generators, left one hose assembly standard and customized the other.

As I've stated before, works fine but the Airstream low pressure port on our rig delivers a bit too much pressure and I have to close the valve at the trailer just a bit after starting.

I generally run the generator with gas but nice to have the option of propane.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Champion PropaneFix.png
Views:	68
Size:	865.1 KB
ID:	426740  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Champion Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusNW View Post
Jeff7176 has stated it correctly. The Champion regulator has two parts, a pressure regulator and the other larger disk is a demand regulator. For those who have see a scuba setup, the high pressure 2200psi to 110psi is at the tank, the demand regulator is at your mouth. The air from the scuba tank only flows when you inhale. Champion is set the same.

Be aware the fitting at the Champion generator is special with a "finger" that is required to allow running on propane. I couldn't find one anywhere on the internet. If you need one you have to purchase another hose/regulator from Champion.

I purchased two generators, left one hose assembly standard and customized the other.

As I've stated before, works fine but the Airstream low pressure port on our rig delivers a bit too much pressure and I have to close the valve at the trailer just a bit after starting.

I generally run the generator with gas but nice to have the option of propane.

Steve

The Champion generator absolutely requires the use of the larger “low pressure demand regulator” to operated properly. When the tank high pressure regulator is removed the demand regulator can be adapted to be connected directly to the Airstream low pressure port and will operate correctly.

This is my setup. I had to add a 3/8 quick connect because my Airstream did not have a low pressure port. I also have a valve to shut off the port because the generator will not stop unless you cut off the propane. I run mine at the end of one or two 1/2” ID extension hoses to get the noise away from my trailer.

Low pressure port with valve.

Name:	IMG_4577.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	426743

Modified demand regulator and extension hose.

Name:	IMG_4709.JPG
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	426744

Modified high pressure regulator so I can still run off a propane tank directly.

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	426745

The whole setup as I usually run it. The orange hose is a silicon exhaust hose to get fumes away from us. It gets hot, so it has to be routed away from plastic parts on the tailgate.

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG
Size:	760.1 KB
ID:	426746

I have never run my generator on gasoline to keep the carburetor from getting gunk in it from gasoline with alcohol in it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I could not get the Champion 3400 to run on my AS quick disconnect port, without modification of the hose. I had special hose built but still had some issues. With the 20# bottle worked fine, but never could get a consistent flow with the AS QD.

My Honda2200 propane model from Genconnex, worked right out of the box with 20' hose they supplied on the AS QD port; or the 20# portable bottle. No issues and no "manifold" to contend with. One of the other reasons besides the weight difference, I switched to the Honda from Genconnex.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Weird. My modified Champion 3400 works just fine off my added 3/8” port with 1/2” ID hoses.

Perhaps the typical 1/4” Airstream port restricts flow.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Weird. My modified Champion 3400 works just fine off my added 3/8” port with 1/2” ID hoses.

Perhaps the typical 1/4” Airstream port restricts flow.
Genconnex tech support told me that a 1/4" low pressure port can handle one Honda EU2200i generator.

To run two Honda EU2200i generators in parallel off the low pressure port requires that the Airstream propane low pressure port plumbing be upgraded to a minimum of 3/8" inner diameter.

With this information, I would suspect that a champion 3400 would be marginal at best when served from a 1/4" low pressure port and if the generator is pushed to the maximum output level (highest engine rpm), a 1/4" low pressure port might not be adequate.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Houston , Texas
Separating the two regulators

Hey everyone,

I recently received a Champion 2500w Dual Fuel Generator and tried to separate the pressure regulator from the demand regulator and it seems to be IMPOSSIBLE!

Is there a trick to get them apart? There aren't even two good places to place wrenches...

Thanks!
jeffbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbn View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently received a Champion 2500w Dual Fuel Generator and tried to separate the pressure regulator from the demand regulator and it seems to be IMPOSSIBLE!

Is there a trick to get them apart? There aren't even two good places to place wrenches...

Thanks!

Mine took brute force and two big wrenches. It’s glued together with some kind of hard setting pipe dope. I did unbolt the bracket completely first. I din mine a few years ago do YMMV.