Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Cable raceway under floor

Hi, I'm trying to run a few cables from above the TV (next to fridge) to the bedroom on my 2019 FC25FB as I'm installing a Cerbo / Touch 50 / Multi-Control GX.

I see there might be a channel underneath the fridge (yellow circle) that cuts across, but the lower compartment under the microwave (red circle) has a back that's screwed in... from the back.

Is this the right raceway? If so, how do you remove the backing in the compartment below the microwave? I can get my hand behind it if I remove the drawers to the right of it, but there's not enough room to get a screwdriver back there. Feels like I just need to push the backing out forcefully and risk some damage, but hoping I'm just missing some detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4521.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	425349  
jcazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
In my 27FB the trough is behind and below the power distribution / converter panel at the bottom of the pantry (microwave). I had to remove the power panel to access the trough. As I remember, there were just cuts in the flooring with wires run through the holes. I snaked an extra couple of wires across the coach that way. I accessed the fridge side from the outside access panel. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I do woodworking, custom cabinets, doors, hidden rooms, etc., as a hobby. Unfortunately, one thing Airstream does poorly is adding access panels for future repairs. If I ever end up pulling the entire kitchen cabinet away from the wall, my project will be adding access panels.
I access my raceway from behind the fuse panel (curbside) and the storage under my two drawers (street side). There was zero access under the drawers. My temporary solution: With a hole saw, I drilled two 6" holes in the base below the drawers to reach in with both hands. I also pushed out the 1/8" backing in the lower compartment (held in with staples). If you are careful, there will be very little damage, which won't be noticeable when reinstalled. Due to the lack of space, I couldn't re-staple or screw the backing into place. I used aluminum foil tape to re-attach from the back side, which has held for the past year. We store our Nespresso in that compartment while traveling.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Photos of the 6” holes. My water pump in installed just behind the skinny drawers to the left. The 6” holes assist me to access that as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13D6CD08-1D9D-46B7-9F20-A4AFE2FC1BE1.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	425357   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E906257-CFF7-4CEF-90F1-3A72BC8CD3B5.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	425358  

Old 11-14-2022, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
When I installed my 5” Victron touch display I found it much easier, and a shorter HDMI cable run, to put it in the hall outside the bathroom. That way the cables can run back behind the pull out pantry, behind the bathroom cabinets, and into the curb side bed area (twin) where all my batteries and electronics are.

I don’t have a picture of it handy but my BMV712 battery monitor used to be mounted in the same place.

On either side inside the bathroom next to the door are two 45 degree panels. The one by the toilet is for the black tank vent (but I also use it to get solar wires to the roof) while the one opposite the toilet is just decorative.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	445403ED-A74E-405A-A4E5-AD3D34116C5E.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	425362  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
in my 23 corner FC, that channel is accessed behind the power panel. in other places where I wanted access like in your situation, I used a router to rout out the entire back panel, and then replace with 1/8"white plastic sheet attached with Velcro. works well for vertical backers. I can send pictures if interested....
Old 11-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Photos of the 6” holes. My water pump in installed just behind the skinny drawers to the left. The 6” holes assist me to access that as well.
I can't seem to get my fish tape back behind the microwave / stove area, so cutting two holes like this looks like this is my best bet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4537.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	425481  
Old 11-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
When I installed my 5” Victron touch display I found it much easier, and a shorter HDMI cable run, to put it in the hall outside the bathroom. That way the cables can run back behind the pull out pantry, behind the bathroom cabinets, and into the curb side bed area (twin) where all my batteries and electronics are.

I don’t have a picture of it handy but my BMV712 battery monitor used to be mounted in the same place.

On either side inside the bathroom next to the door are two 45 degree panels. The one by the toilet is for the black tank vent (but I also use it to get solar wires to the roof) while the one opposite the toilet is just decorative.
I like that spot for the battery monitor. How did you remove the 45 degree panel?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcazes View Post
I like that spot for the battery monitor. How did you remove the 45 degree panel?
It’s just 4 white screws on my trailer.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Oh boy, what a project this turned out to be - running wire from my bedroom to the fridge area ended up taking me the better part of the day. Very happy that I finally completed my Cerbo / DMC / Touch 50 install though!

Either the raceway on the 25 is much less convenient than on other models, or I'm just mechanically challenged. First I cut a big hole under the microwave like s1000pre, only to discover a big black box underneath. Then I realized the raceway is closer to the front than I initially thought - instead of being under the fridge on the 25FB, it's right next to the water pump, and terminates below the microwave area on the far left.

I could not figure out a way to access it without yanking out the flimsy backstop of that lower cabinet. It's still intact but pretty trashed so I need to figure out how to replace it or get some paint.

Now I just need to swap out my 90 degree VE Direct cable on the battery monitor for a normal one so I can screw in the back of the monitor properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4551.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	425573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4557.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	425574  

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	425575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4562.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	425576  

Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I've found this Pull Push Fish Tape Kit more effective in horizontal applications but also vertical applications in which wall access is below the target area. In other words, they work better than regular fish tape when you don't have a gravity assist. Best to run a nylon line then use the line to pull cable or flexible conduit. I bought mine at Harbor Freight.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Wow, I admire your determination and efforts putting the Victron touch panel by the TV! Also, thanks for figuring out where the chase is.

For those looking for an alternative placement in a FB25, here are (finally) photos of how I did mine. The panel and battery monitor go in the hall backing into the 45 degree decorative space and panel in the bath. For the Multicontrol, I just used the wiring originally placed by AS for the solar panel monitor in the kitchen.

Wiring for the touch panel and BMV can be fished around inside the pull out pantry and behind the bath cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7C652001-3773-494E-AB41-8A8D7FF6ED5C.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	425593   Click image for larger version

Name:	67472446-A6BC-44E3-9981-05A2B5309A59.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	425594  

Old 11-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Wow, I admire your determination and efforts putting the Victron touch panel by the TV! Also, thanks for figuring out where the chase is.

For those looking for an alternative placement in a FB25, here are (finally) photos of how I did mine. The panel and battery monitor go in the hall backing into the 45 degree decorative space and panel in the bath. For the Multicontrol, I just used the wiring originally placed by AS for the solar panel monitor in the kitchen.

Wiring for the touch panel and BMV can be fished around inside the pull out pantry and behind the bath cabinets.
Wow, I can't believe you managed to fish cable through the insulation for that DMC install where the inverter disconnect used to be. Well done! Did you run it through the opening directly below it, behind the drawers? I think I tried for 15-20 minutes, then finally gave up.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
I've found this Pull Push Fish Tape Kit more effective in horizontal applications but also vertical applications in which wall access is below the target area. In other words, they work better than regular fish tape when you don't have a gravity assist. Best to run a nylon line then use the line to pull cable or flexible conduit. I bought mine at Harbor Freight.
Thanks for sharing. I used a standard fish tape (wire roll), and the wires just kept getting snagged despite my best efforts to tape the ends / smooth out anything that might catch. I found that you really need some tension on both ends to push / pull when you start to snag.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Wow, I can't believe you managed to fish cable through the insulation for that DMC install where the inverter disconnect used to be. Well done! Did you run it through the opening directly below it, behind the drawers? I think I tried for 15-20 minutes, then finally gave up.
I can’t take credit for getting the cable into that kitchen wall. My trailer came with a Cat cable pre wired to the kitchen for inverter control and the solar controller. I just repurposed that for the Victron Multicontrol.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Hi again, a few questions about your install:
1. How did you secure the BM to the wall? Given the thickness of the wall in that spot, the only way it seems I can secure the BM is to invert the plastic screw ring, but this creates a lip that prevents you from using the 90 degree cable.

2. Are you using a 90 degree cable or a straight VE direc cable? It looks like I didn't do enough planning before installing the BM, and it's too close to the 45 degree wall to use a straight cable. But in order to use the 90 degree, I need to figure out another way to secure the BM to the wall.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Hi again, a few questions about your install:
1. How did you secure the BM to the wall? Given the thickness of the wall in that spot, the only way it seems I can secure the BM is to invert the plastic screw ring, but this creates a lip that prevents you from using the 90 degree cable.

2. Are you using a 90 degree cable or a straight VE direc cable? It looks like I didn't do enough planning before installing the BM, and it's too close to the 45 degree wall to use a straight cable. But in order to use the 90 degree, I need to figure out another way to secure the BM to the wall.
As you mention, I mounted mine as close to the edge closest to the kitchen as I could to get as much clearance as possible behind. I don’t recall which cable I used behind. In your case, it looks like the 90 cable is required for sure. It’s been a few years since I did this install but I’m pretty sure I used the BMV712’s front mounting option with the clip-on fascia plate and not the big ring on the back.

Otherwise, you could consider notching out the big ring to have a place for the 90 degree wire to go?
Old 12-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
As you mention, I mounted mine as close to the edge closest to the kitchen as I could to get as much clearance as possible behind. I don’t recall which cable I used behind. In your case, it looks like the 90 cable is required for sure. It’s been a few years since I did this install but I’m pretty sure I used the BMV712’s front mounting option with the clip-on fascia plate and not the big ring on the back.

Otherwise, you could consider notching out the big ring to have a place for the 90 degree wire to go?
Laughing out loud right now—I didn’t realize the front plate mount was an option because I installed the plastic mount first (instead of installing it over the BMV). I should probably spend more time reading the instruction manual.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
+1 for mounting the controls on the outside of the bathroom wall on a 25FB. I mounted mine on the left side facing the door and ran the cable in a plastic conduit behind the toilet and up the chase with the vent pipe (pics below).

jcazes - Thanks for figuring out the raceway and documenting how to get into it for us! I too admire your ingenuity and determination in making that work.

jcazes and daleyocum - I am curious why you guys installed both a Cerbo with TX50 display and the Multicontrol panel. I only installed the Cerbo/TX50 and control the Multiplus through it. Is there some functionality I am missing by not having the Multicontrol panel?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3800.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	425965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2669.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	425966  

OrangeCrush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
jcazes and daleyocum - I am curious why you guys installed both a Cerbo with TX50 display and the Multicontrol panel. I only installed the Cerbo/TX50 and control the Multiplus through it. Is there some functionality I am missing by not having the Multicontrol panel?
Number one reason to get a Multi-control is to toggle the inverter on and off with the flick of a switch. You can of course do this through the Touch 50, but instead of a few menu swipes, it’s single toggle. I boondock 90% of the time, so this minor improvement adds up over time.