Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Bye-Bye Univolt

The Univolt has to go. The hummmm..... makes me crazy. I've looked, I've searched the forums. The install I can do. But what to replace it with.......

Inteli-power, or WFCO, or ???? What is the way to go? Where to get it? What is the experience out there? What's the best unit to get? Who's the best person/place to get it from.

All opinions will be regarded equally. Your votes please.

Thanks, Tamis
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
In other threads I came across this recomendation

Do a search for more info on "WFCO"

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamis
The Univolt has to go. The hummmm..... makes me crazy. I've looked, I've searched the forums. The install I can do. But what to replace it with.......

Inteli-power, or WFCO, or ???? What is the way to go? Where to get it? What is the experience out there? What's the best unit to get? Who's the best person/place to get it from.

Thanks, Tamis
Airstream has used a new style solid state Univolt for many years, with great satisfaction.

A parts stocking dealer would have one for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Airstream has used a new style solid state Univolt for many years, with great satisfaction.

A parts stocking dealer would have one for you.

Andy
Does it hum?
snpotratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:

Thanks, Tamis
Tamis,

I have installed a 60A Intellipower with charge wizard while rebuilding my 1963 Overlander, and am very pleased with it so far. It might not be as noise-free as some have stated, but it is definitely a reliable unit, with good charging ability. I use 2 wet cell rv battereies from Interstate, and so far, the combination has been flawless.
I purchased the converter from the link in the second post. I was very pleased with their service, and got a discount as a forum member.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I replaced my Univolt with the Inteli-power 9100 series with the Charge Wizard. It has been flawless and quiet. The install was easy. The new 9200 series has the charge wizard built it. Both are available from the link in the second post. I bought mine there and they were very helpful.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Tamis,
We have the Univolt that parts stocking dealers have. They are great products and I recommend them highly. However, if you want a 3-stage, you will have to go with the WFCO or PD. We don't have a personal preference because the return rate under warranty is less than 1/2 of one percent with either product. I can say this, since so many OEMs went to the WFCO, they are getting more popular by the day and we actually sell more of them than any other brand. That doesn't make them better, just more popular and we have had excellent luck with them in the last couple years. Airstream is using the Parallax and its a good product, just not 3-stage.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpotratz
Does it hum?
They do not hum.

Andy
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for all the info so far. Maybe someone can tell me what unit is the quietest? In bed, it's about 12" away fron my head.

Tamis
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Found a dealer on ebay, Inteli-power 9260c for $140, free ship. Sounds like a good deal to me, Yes?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks to all. I went for the pd9260 on ebay. Couldn't find a better deal. He has more, in other sizes as well, if anyone's interested. Seems to be perfectly legit.

Tamis
Old 09-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks to all. I went for the pd9260 on ebay. Couldn't find a better deal. He has more, in other sizes as well, if anyone's interested. Seems to be perfectly legit.

Tamis

Is that a brand new unit, or a rebuilt?

A new unit costs far more than that.

Andy
Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
A lot of OEMs were and appear to be unloading their stock. We swore by the brand for years and still have faith but they are not keeping up with the demand for the WFCO and Parallax. Tomorrow might be a different tune but I have only one way to guage it and that is what goes through our warehouse and what comes back.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thumbs up Don't knock the hum

I personally like the hum. hum. It has lots of positive hum, uses. Like, hum, it's hard to sleep hum on a still starry night without the drone of cars and trucks in the background humm. Like I put my head as close as possible to it hum, it drowns up my wife snoring hum. It's like having your own Hari Krishna chorus hum. It like scares away the bears humm.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
It was a new unit. Unfortunately, it's been put to bed for the winter, and I haven't had the opportunity to see if I miss the hum. I can see some benefit to the hummmmmm............ T