Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
Winter Park , Florida
Unhappy Buzzing sound from sound system, walking on floor makes it stop.

Hello all,

I am still under warranty, so I will have this checked out in a week or two, but here's the problem.

My 2007 19' International has a Sony sound system installed, with four speakers and a subwoofer. The unit has always had a buzzing sound when turned on and no music/tv is playing. I did bring it to one repair place, but they said it was because my switch had been on "Store" while it was plugged in to power and that it had something to do with the battery. I took their word for it and drove off. But, just yesterday, with the loud humming going on while I was preparing to start up a DVD, I happened to walk over by the sink, near the bathroom, at the foot of the bed, and the humming changed and then will altogether stop if I place my feet in exactly the right spot. Oh, and the buzzing changes *pitch* if I turn on certain lights.

Any ideas, or do you think my AS is in for a MAJOR re-wiring?

thx

marco in San Antonio
foqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The converter can produce what is called ripple voltage on the 12 DC output that can/will produce the humming you are hearing. Now about it changing when you are in certain areas of the trailer, that's a new one on me.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Try adjusting the subwoofer ... the subwoofer level knob is located on the subwoofer box under the curbside dinette seat. We have intermittent noises and sounds come of the speakers be we are usually able to "adjust it out" by adjusting volumes and subwoofer input.

We have found this to be more of a problem since we installed the Digital Converter Box on the TV which gives 3 remote clickers to deal with...the TV, the DVD/Radio and the Converter Box... it seems to happen if we have the volumes up high using two or more of the clickers. We now try to use only the clicker of the medium we are using at the time rather than just grabbing the closest one to adjust volume (they all work).

And then there are the gremlins.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
Winter Park , Florida
I will try adjusting the subwoofer tonight...and I should clarify: the sound definitely changes/goes away when I put *pressure* on the floor in that area. It is not just from me standing in a certain location. If I put pressure down on my feet, it will change or come back, like as I rock back and forth on my heels. Thanks for the help you are providing!!
foqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
See other posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foqus View Post
Hello all,

I am still under warranty, so I will have this checked out in a week or two, but here's the problem.

My 2007 19' International has a Sony sound system installed, with four speakers and a subwoofer. The unit has always had a buzzing sound when turned on and no music/tv is playing. I did bring it to one repair place, but they said it was because my switch had been on "Store" while it was plugged in to power and that it had something to do with the battery. I took their word for it and drove off. But, just yesterday, with the loud humming going on while I was preparing to start up a DVD, I happened to walk over by the sink, near the bathroom, at the foot of the bed, and the humming changed and then will altogether stop if I place my feet in exactly the right spot. Oh, and the buzzing changes *pitch* if I turn on certain lights.

Any ideas, or do you think my AS is in for a MAJOR re-wiring?

thx

marco in San Antonio
The following post should be of great help:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...reo-36282.html

Bottom line: Install a ground loop isolator.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy has that same problem.

I cheat and do it the easy way. I just turn the selector switch to outside only.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
ay yi yi-i gotta quit reading this forum...you guys are making me crazy. I am sure glad I bought an old airstream and don't have all these problems! At least I ain't got an 8 track...
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some of the subwoofers have the controls on the side you can't see while you are on your stomach under the table looking at the damn thing. Then you have to unscrew it from the floor to get to the controls. There's a gain (volume) and a frequency control—turn them bothy half way down and see if the noise stops, then fiddle with them until to get close to the noise, and back off slightly. Or, cut the wires and that may solve it, or, put in a switch to turn it off or on (my solution along with adjusting the controls).

But, if it changes when you walk on the floor, it may be those gremlins who scream when you step on them. Or a bad ground somewhere, though underneath the floor sounds more like gremlins.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Jim's right. You need a ground loop isolator. The humming you hear is likely coming from almost all electrical items in the airstream because it is being introduced to the amplifier through the ground circuit. Lights, the converter, the water pump, the electrical circuits in the fridge and the fans can all induce noise. The ground loop isolator will stop virtually all of that.

The place you are stepping on in the bedroom is "probably" changing the impedance for some reason. It could be flexing something metal against the frame or really anything. There is a possibility I guess that a wire has somehow gotten pinched in that area. I don't really know if any wiring is run under the floor there or not. Someone that is intimately familiar with 12V electrical systems could probably do a little troubleshooting to find out for sure.

Good luck.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
The ground loop isolator worked for me. I just plugged it in at the sub woofer and the noised stopped.

Paul

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buzzing, electric, electrical, interference