Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Breaker a-blowin'

Hello,
Using a 2011 25ft flying cloud for the first time. When ac is on breaker blows when using kitchen,bathroom,or outside outlets or microwave. Breaker box says ac should be by itself on #1 and microwave should be by itself on #3. Only #1 trips. Factory wiring screw up? Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
The #1 breaker is probably your 30 amp main breaker. It will trip if you try to use too much stuff at the same time.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Ware heater on? Converter running? Fridge on electric? What power source are you using? Generator or 30 amp shore power? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That's water heater. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
You are pulling about 15.3 amps with the AC on a circuit once running after initial start if it is a Dometic 13.5K unit. The circuits are 20 amp. You have a short in circuit #1 for sure or a heavy load. You will need to take an amp meter and read the circuit draw while each item is on individually. The ac wiring can be accessed behind the removable panel where the trip switches are. My wiring is at the bottom of the switches. This will tell you what the load is on the circuit. Try each electrical appliance one at a time. This will also indicate what outlet or appliance is on what circuit- as you hunt for circuit draw on the circuit.

Once you find the draw, you will know several things. An AC unit, when going bad will over draw too. There is also the possibility that other things are on that circuit.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ok the first one is the main. A little disappointed we can't run a crockpot and the ac together. Would shutting off the electric water heater help?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Another thing you can do on the AC side of your power center is to switch off all the breakers except the one that says air conditioner. If you find that other items work on the switched on circuit, then you know what shares that circuit. Like others have shared, make sure you are privy to pumps, converter charger, etc.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
If your main breaker is tripping then you are probably pulling too much power at once- somehow. A crock pot only uses about 250 watts of power. The microwave is a hog as is anything with a motor - blow dryer, curling irons, mixers, etc. You only have a grand total of around 3500 or so watts to do everything. The AC unit is pulling around 1700 or so.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getahobby View Post
Ok the first one is the main. A little disappointed we can't run a crockpot and the ac together. Would shutting off the electric water heater help?
Thanks
Definitely, When running the AC I run the water heater and the refrigerator on propane. Then just be cognizant of the electric load you are using on other stuff. Microwave? maybe turn off the air when you need it? Hair Dryer? Toaster? Any high draw items will probably trip the main breaker. You'll figure it out as you go along, now that you know that the main breaker is probably the issue.

The crock pot and the Air should be ok if you minimize the other demands.

Others have discussed swapping the position of the Air Cond Breaker with a circuit with less draw so that the heat of the Air Cond Breaker does not heat up the main breaker. I haven't tried that yet.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Do not overlook that the converter is keeping your battery(s) charged and often draws from 5 to 7 amps (per other threads). I replaced the OEM single stage with a multistage upgrade kit from:

Magnetek/Parallax 6300/7300 Upgrade Kit

and have not fried the batteries while the unit is in storage. In our unit, the converter is located under the fuse panel on the side of the bed at the end of the hallway. That took about 90 minutes to do as I double checked as I went along. I did have to work the input cable for an extra inch or two of wire inside the box as one new connection point was farther from the edge of the box.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Definitely, When running the AC I run the water heater and the refrigerator on propane. Then just be cognizant of the electric load you are using on other stuff. Microwave? maybe turn off the air when you need it? Hair Dryer? Toaster? Any high draw items will probably trip the main breaker. You'll figure it out as you go along, now that you know that the main breaker is probably the issue.

The crock pot and the Air should be ok if you minimize the other demands.

Others have discussed swapping the position of the Air Cond Breaker with a circuit with less draw so that the heat of the Air Cond Breaker does not heat up the main breaker. I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks,
I had a 2003 classic with factory convertor and I was able to run hot water, ac, and fridge with no tripping. Wonder what the difference is?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I had similar issues on my 2008 Classic 25fb trying to run AC and electric water heater. Fridge was an AC too

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...se-104839.html

I ended up moving the AC from the 30/20 breaker to the last breaker. I also moved the water heater so its not next to the new AC breaker location. I'm now able to run the water heater and AC together. It appears the 30/20 breaker was getting warm to hot and causing the 30 amp side to pop. I may get a new breaker anyway.

I could probably run the microwave to heat up a cup of water but not to cook anything much longer, I haven't tried it. When the AC is on and we need to use the microwave to cook something I turn the water heater electric to off or use propane to heat water.

I haven't had any fuses blow if the wife is using a hair dryer etc while running the AC.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote