Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Boondocking outlets

We just completed our maiden voyage (first camping trip).
One thing I could not figure out, are any outlets (including USB ports) powered when you're running off battery/boondocking (2021 Flying Cloud)?
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Tom,
In our 23 FBT, both the TV and the radio/DVD player ran off the inverter. I can’t remember if there was a 3rd outlet.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
My trailer is a 2020, so it may not be exactly the same. In my case, the USB ports are active on DC power. The AC outlets can be activated by using the inverter. This will allow outlet usage including the television and DVD player. The factory inverter is only 1,000W, so power hungry appliances like hair dryers or coffee makers may be too much and flip a breaker.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
In my case, the USB ports are active on DC power. The AC outlets can be activated by using the inverter. This will allow outlet usage including the television and DVD player.

I'm green as grass with Airstreams, so are you saying I have to turn on or activate something to get power to my USB ports?

The stereo (via bluetooth) worked fine and btw the sound was awesome but I got nothing from my USB ports.

If there is a switch/control where about is it located?
I don't know if it makes a difference but I've got factory solar installed.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Your USB ports are DC powered, and they should be operational directly from the batteries without any intervention. I would expect them to work without having to activate anything. There is likely a USB port near your DVD player that connects to your television, and doesn't provide power independently. Is there another one in your trailer, perhaps in the nightstand?

Your inverter allows you to run 120V AC outlets via your battery. By switching on your inverter, your 120V outlets will allow you to charge phones or a computer, run small appliances and your TV, etc. The inverter switch location varies by model - in my Airstream it's in the galley by the controls for the lights and the solar charge controller. FYI - using the inverter will drain your batteries fairly quickly.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One caution: The inverter gobbles up the battery in a big hurry. You want to avoid using it if you can. If you have lead acid batteries, the "stop using" voltage is 12V. Going below this point isn't good for the stock batteries. If you have Lithium's 12V isn't a bad number to use, but you could go lower.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote