Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
Bluetooth Strength of Victron 75/15

My question is concerning the Victron Bluetooth strength. Anyone have any guidance as to whether the Victron 75/15 Blue Solar with bluetooth dongle would work better, worse, or the same as opposed to the Victron 75/15 Smart Solar with built in bluetooth?

The unit will be located under the bed and I can't seem to find any info concerning how far you can reasonably expect the bluetooth signal to work. I've ran across a few comments where it does not seem like the strength is all that good but not sure which of the two Victron's they are using.

I'm replacing the Hasco solar controller in our 2013 with factory solar (two 80 watt panels). It gets into these fits where it clicks every two seconds for minutes on end.

I'm between one of the Victron 75/15's and the Renogy Commander 20. I like the idea of the Renogy because I can use the existing cat 5 cable to hook up a display where the Sunexplorer display is.

Thanks.
GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have the model with the dongle. The BT works fine anywhere in and around the trailer, but when I get 15-20 feet away or through the wall of my house, no signal.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I've used both the old 75/15 with the Bluetooth dongle, and the new Bluetooth-equipped 75/15. In my experience, the range is similar for both--about 30 feet. I can "see" the device with my iPhone from anywhere inside my 27FB, or when sitting outside.

As for wall displays, I've had various ones on various RVs, ranging from Victron's BMV-712 battery monitor to their very expensive, super-fancy Color Control GX. But with the ability to monitor everything from my phone, tablet, or laptop via Bluetooth, I didn't bother to install any in my current Airstream.

My BMV-712 battery monitor is still connected, but it's gathering dust under the bed; all I care about is that I can see its data on my phone. I don't have to walk over to a wall display to read it, or the solar controller, and I get much more information from Victron's smartphone and macOS apps than I ever did from a wall-mounted display.

Victron's software really is excellent, and they update it regularly. This is unlike some manufacturers, who seem to regard software as an afterthought--they ship some clunky program and then let it sit, un-maintained, for years.

One thing I particularly like about Victron's software is their Demo Library feature. If you're thinking about buying one of their Bluetooth-enabled products (and most of them are by now, including many of their batteries), you can download their free software, go to the demo library, and see an exact simulation of what that product will look like when you have it set up and talking to your phone, tablet, or computer.

For example, let's say you're wondering "Can I remotely set the charging parameters on a BlueSmart IP67 12/25 charger?" Go into the demo library, choose that product, and you'll see exactly what you'd see if you owned one and had it connected via Bluetooth. This is a very useful way to preview the features of all Victron's Bluetooth-enabled products.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Appreciate the info.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I have the Victron 75/15 with built-in bluetooth (no dongle). Works only about 10 ft. from the rv. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less (almost have to be within arms length).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I guess I was a little worried that it might be limited inside the trailer but it seems like everyone always gets a good signal from anywhere inside the trailer. I'm not as concerned if it's limited once you start walking away from the trailer. I think from everything I read, I'll be ordering the 75/15 Smart Solar unit today. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP9 View Post
I guess I was a little worried that it might be limited inside the trailer but it seems like everyone always gets a good signal from anywhere inside the trailer. I'm not as concerned if it's limited once you start walking away from the trailer. I think from everything I read, I'll be ordering the 75/15 Smart Solar unit today. Thanks!
Have had the Victron 15/75 with th doggle for almost 2 years now . You want to mount your controller as close to batteries as possible . I can sit in my kitchen at table , about 30-35 ft away and always getting my readings . Been very happy . Also have Victron BVM 700 battery monitor with toggle. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Springtown , Texas
The range has really impressed me.

I don't have a tin can but through the fiberglass front cap I can connect to my rv from 100' standing at my rear doors of my house (inside).

I wasn't even sure that was possible on BT. I wonder if you could mount the dongle outside the trailer to extend your range, or maybe up near a window?
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine is, at most, 30'

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i use the model of the Victron MMPT solar device with builtin Blue tooth

It works very well. it is mounted under the bed in our AS 22FB.

we can see it when we are driving even though the path has to go through the TV trunk hatch and the AS front aluminum wall.

Thus the signal is strong IMHO.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have the dongle and it works fine to about 25'.

If you plan on adding the temperature and voltage dongle, make sure you buy the new "long range" version. Same price, but will reach 20 feet into the trailer and the other blue tooth dongle or controller.

Did you know this product existed? Using it will give you temps and voltage that are monitored. Just the blue tooth dongle ( on the controller) only reads a temp once a day. The voltage is not accurately monitored also. Much more accurate than not having it. $39

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote