Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Saint Louis , Missouri
Best circuit to tie in electric water heater

Hi there,

Our 1994 Excella Classic came with a gas-only water heater. I've installed a newer gas/electric Atwood model, but now I'm wondering where the best place is to connect the electrical. It's a 30 amp trailer.

Do you think I should:

a) tie into the same circuit as the microwave and try not to run the microwave while the water heater is heating

OR

b) tie into the receptacles circuit and not run a space heater or tea kettle while the water heating is heating

OR

c) something else (including not connecting it to the electric, though that would be a bummer)
Thorasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Have you looked at the various AC wiring diagrams for your trailer?

My 2007 has a dedicated 15A breaker marked water heater. What wattage is your new heater and does the water heater manual have any wiring requirements?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would look into running a dedicated circuit. It may not be as hard as it sounds. I don't know your layout, but on my rear bedroom the breaker box is overhead in the rear. My water heater circuit runs from there down to the floor and then runs along the floor in a carpeted "chase" to the bathroom and there is the water heater. Point is, not all circuits run between the inner and outer skin and a bit of disassembly gets you there

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Have you looked at the various AC wiring diagrams for your trailer?

My 2007 has a dedicated 15A breaker marked water heater. What wattage is your new heater and does the water heater manual have any wiring requirements?

Gary
It would use 13.5 amps when heating. I don't have the original water heater diagram but I should definitely check out the trailer diagram.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I would look into running a dedicated circuit. It may not be as hard as it sounds. I don't know your layout, but on my rear bedroom the breaker box is overhead in the rear. My water heater circuit runs from there down to the floor and then runs along the floor in a carpeted "chase" to the bathroom and there is the water heater. Point is, not all circuits run between the inner and outer skin and a bit of disassembly gets you there
Yeah, mine run from the overhead compartment through the skin to the floor and I don't know how hard it will be to get it through the skin. I guess my thinking is that if the maximum is 30 amp for the trailer then having a dedicated circuit wouldn't really change much because it would still blow one of the breakers if everything kicked on at once, but maybe I'm not thinking about that correctly.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorasaurus View Post
Yeah, mine run from the overhead compartment through the skin to the floor and I don't know how hard it will be to get it through the skin. I guess my thinking is that if the maximum is 30 amp for the trailer then having a dedicated circuit wouldn't really change much because it would still blow one of the breakers if everything kicked on at once, but maybe I'm not thinking about that correctly.
True, but I'll still bet that run down to the floor in back can be fished pretty easily. There's no inner skin nor ribs in the top of the clamshell....but there may be some skin, and definitely a horizontal rib at the beltline. My trailer has an access compartment on that side of the trunk...where the wiring all comes down from above.
Might be worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Your idea of using the microwave circuit would work. My old Prowler had just that setup....but....a switch was in the circuit which forced me to chose one or the other. Idiot proof.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 06-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Motor homes of the era had a small transfer switch to choose between a few devices, such as water heater, a/c, etc.

Assuming your 1994 is set up like mine, you could easily put a small manual transfer switch in the overhead cabinet with the breakers, and then run a line down to the water heater under the bed.

I'd use the breaker feeding the microwave like you suggest, having it go to the new transfer switch and then on to both.

Probably not room in the breaker panel for another breaker, but if there is you could go that route instead.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Saint Louis , Missouri
Thanks all! I think I will look to add a junction box under the rear bunk and tie into the microwave circuit. It does already have the switch to prioritize either microwave or A/C but this would come before that switch. Either way, shouldn't matter; just need to try to not run the Microwave while the water heater is heating.

Appreciate the brainstorming! Happy camping!