Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Stonewall , Oklahoma
Battery tender snd shore power

Hi all!

Newbie here- we have been reading like crazy, so much great info on these forums, but I think we are stuck. I have disconnected the two batteries in our 2017 “new to us” 25’ FC, and attached one to a battery tender, after having pulled it from the box. We are hoping to prolong the battery life this way, when not camping. Is there any reason for me to have concerns about connecting to 50 amp shore power, so I can run a tiny dehumidifier inside, turn on lights, etc? Our AS is in a metal shop building, with blown foam insulation, so somewhat protected, but it still gets humid in there. We have our first trip planned for august, we want to have everything ship shape, and batteries ready to go. Any thoughts? Do I leave the AS unplugged? Will I fry or burn something if I plug her in? (So much to learn!)

Thanks for any input!
Outwithdogs
outwithdogs is online now Report Post
outwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:14 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I have a ‘17 27FB, purchased new. The FIRST thing I did to it was to swap out the battery boiling stock converter to a true 3 (or 4 if you count equalization) stage converter. If your AS has the stock converter, it is not battery friendly.
If you want to keep it plugged into shore power you can simply turn off the circuit breaker for the converter. All of the other AC circuits will still work, but your batteries won’t charge.
You can then connect your Battery Tender to your batteries to keep them charged. No need to disconnect cables or remove them from the battery box.
Going camping? Disconnect the Battery Tender and turn on the converter circuit breaker. Easy peasy.
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Stonewall , Oklahoma
JMynes

I cannot tell you how helpful your reply was! Thanks so much, that makes perfect sense! We are just now learning about critical issues like caps on lugs, and “battery boiling converters!” :-)) Our virgin trip fast approaches, there are bound to be many interesting lessons along the way:-)
Old 05-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
“Camp” in your driveway for one or two days before your first trip. You will discover that you forgot something, and can run in the house and get it.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
I have a ‘17 27FB, purchased new. The FIRST thing I did to it was to swap out the battery boiling stock converter to a true 3 (or 4 if you count equalization) stage converter. If your AS has the stock converter, it is not battery friendly.
If you want to keep it plugged into shore power you can simply turn off the circuit breaker for the converter. All of the other AC circuits will still work, but your batteries won’t charge.
You can then connect your Battery Tender to your batteries to keep them charged. No need to disconnect cables or remove them from the battery box.
Going camping? Disconnect the Battery Tender and turn on the converter circuit breaker. Easy peasy.
JMynes which converter did you get?
Old 05-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I got a PD4655. There are a couple of versions of it. Best bet is to call Randy at bestconverters.com to get the right one. I didn’t, and ended up calling him for more parts.
Get the pendant as well. It’s handy for over riding the charge mode when you want to.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Stonewall , Oklahoma
Circuit breaker for battery boiling converter

Makes me laugh to call it that, but wow, it really is an issue - we are definitely going to call Randy, what a great tip, thanks so much! So - i opened the access panel, and it looks like there is a label there, mounted sideways, so just wanted to double check, is it the first circuit breaker on the left, as i am looking at the panel, to turn off the converter? I would put in the photo that i took, but i am having trouble adding it. (Oh, look at that, looks like both photos made it!)

Ultimately, we will go thru each circuit breaker and label them, so there are no questions in the future. I can’t wait to get the batteries back in their box, all wired back together, with that crazy converter circuit breaker off! I want to be sure i am turning off the correct one!

Thanks, JMynes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C8C6965-A6E1-4A10-A8E3-116264F7CE9A.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	396079   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1DB649D-30C2-42CC-8E62-8574FF116264.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	396080  

Old 05-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I’m pretty sure your photos are sideways. And your label was printed by the new employee who can’t line thing up correctly.

Looking at your picture, my best guess is that the converter circuit breaker is the bottom one. Looks like it also shuts down the bedroom outlets.

It’s not the same as mine, I have a 30 amp rig. I don’t think a PD4655 would work for you. But Randy will hook you up.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Stonewall , Oklahoma
JMynes:

You have been such a huge help to me, thanks so much!!! Ha, that made me laugh - yep, they sure are sideways photos, and youre right again - i got the new guy who couldn’t line up the labeler!!! I am really grateful for the assist, we will be getting in touch with randy, a new converter is pretty high on our list of “need to have”! Thanks again, this is just great info!