Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Battery needed?!???

Hello all -

'92 34 Lmtd with IntelliPower 9100 - Model # PD9140A.

Can someone decipher that for me?? 40Amp capacity? Does that indicate a Charge Wizard?? If it is 40Amps, is that big enough or is 55A/ 60A better?

Can I simply add a CW to my current set up, or is that impractical from a $ standpoint?

I think I don't have a CW since I have some evidence of battery boil over. Batteries themselves seem to be fine. I refill distilled wataer as I remember to check them, if they are low.

Batteries - Stowaway ST27DC180 (x2) that say 180 Min. Resv. Cap./ 105 Apm Hrs. Build dates of Sept '02.

Is this a 24 or 27 size battery? Are they the proper one for this application?

SO, now the next set of questions. Do I / should I replace the batteries now? If so, with what? Sealed vs non ??? Brand? Model? Good retailer?

What is AGM? Seen that referenced a lot but don't know what that means. Simple lead acid batteries? Oh wait - AG = Lead, M = ???

Thanks!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Toy,

You can add a CW to any Intellipower and it's a pretty good idea if you want your batteries to be properly maintained. AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. These batteries are sealed and require no maintenance. The electrolyte, rather than being a liquid mix of water and acid is totally absorbed into porous glass mats located between the lead battery plates. Due to this superior design, they have a very low internal resistance and will only lose 2-3% of the charge per month as compared to 30-40% loss for a wet cell battery. They are more expensive but last longer and can be drawn down to 20% on ocassion without damage. Regular 50% draw-down is fine. I would look at the Lifeline brand of AGM if you are going to get new ones.

Your batteries are group 27 according to the number listed. If they fit properly in your battery box then stay with that size. Any other questions?
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
> 92 34 Lmtd with IntelliPower 9100 - Model # PD9140A.
>
> Can someone decipher that for me?? 40Amp capacity?

Yes

> Does that indicate a Charge Wizard??

No

> If it is 40Amps, is that big enough or is 55A/ 60A better?

It depends. If you discharge your batteries deeply (i.e. down to 50% charge) and/or you have AGM batteries which can charge faster, and/or you use 12VDC appliances while charging, and/or if shorter generator run time is important to you, then yes, bigger is better.

> Can I simply add a CW to my current set up,

Yes, it plugs in

> or is that impractical from a $ standpoint?

I do not believe that at less than $25 it is impractical.

> I think I don't have a CW since I have some evidence of battery boil over.

Charge Wizard will help with this as well as reduce bulk charge time.

> Batteries themselves seem to be fine.

Good

> I refill distilled wataer

Good

> as I remember to check them,

Bad. Do better than "as I remember"

> if they are low.

Logical

> Batteries - Stowaway ST27DC180 (x2) that say 180 Min. Resv. Cap./ 105 Apm Hrs. Build dates of Sept '02.

> Is this a 24 or 27 size battery?

> Are they the proper one for this application?

Yes

> SO, now the next set of questions. Do I / should I replace the batteries now?

If they ARE good, then only if you're tired of maintaining them.

> If so, with what?

AGM, in my opinion.

> Sealed vs non ???

AGMs are sealed

> Brand?

I prefer Lifeline.

> Model?

GPL-27T

> Good retailer?

BatteriesPlus can order them for you.

> What is AGM?

See above, do a search on this forum, and on the Internet.

> Seen that referenced a lot but don't know what that means.

www.Google.com and wikipedia.org are wonderful when you see something referenced but don't know what it means.

> Simple lead acid batteries? Oh wait - AG = Lead, M = ???

Nope.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
What is AGM? Seen that referenced a lot but don't know what that means. Simple lead acid batteries? Oh wait - AG = Lead, M = ???

Thanks!

Axel
AGM is Glass Mat construction.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Thanks for your patience....

Hello all -

Thanks so much for your kindly replies to my many questions. I am getting better fast on the learning curve.

I DO appreciate all the info!

Found the Charge Wizard at CW for $25 locally. Going to get that! Batteries seem OK, so will stay with them for now.

Anyone have/ tried the TriMetric Battery Monitor system. Any recommends for/ against?? In both cases, why? Looks like about $200 for a system that gives real time monitoring - kinda like the tire monitor system. Preventive care - OR?

Axel
Old 04-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If you're serious about boondocking, I think you need an amp-hour meter.

And if you are ever going to use something that draws a lot of current, I prefer the Xantrex Link 10 or its replacement the Xantrex Battery Monitor because they consider the Peukert Effect (reduction in capacity) that comes with higher current. So do the CruzPro units. I never found anything that said the Trimetric did.

Practical Sailor Amp-Hour Meter review.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Serious? Yes! About what I'm not sure....

Maurice -

Thanks for the replies. After the ed-u-ma-ca-tion I got I learned up real quick. Seriously, there were lots of replies that got me additional info and put me on the trail of info I needed.

Added the Charge Wizard to be sure that the batteries don't get cooked. For $25 it was an EASY! choice.

Am looking at a decent battery monitor system but there are quite a few out there and nothing ( other than the "PR stlye" cr*p to try to sort them apart) to really say "this is good", "this is cr*p".

Seems that most decent systems run about $200 or better with everthing to get it set up.

I want an in-cabin readout on all battery parameters, current state as well as charging rates/ discharge rate/ load/ temp and all other advisable data points. This segment cannot be that hard to fulfill but there seems to be no one that is providing the info that I need, want and am willing to pay for. Maybe one will!!! I'm hoping...

Thanks again for reading to the end! WHOOPIE!!! Fun huh?

Axel