Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Battery life while in short term storage? 2023 Flying Cloud 23FBT

Seem right?

When in covered storage, no power source, no sun, green master switch by door is off, fuse to jack pulled (to hinder jack use):

Day one: Fully charged 12.9/13.0 volt battery
Day two: 12.4 volt on inverter monitor.

Seems like a lot of battery drain for 24 hours. Right?

I only know of inverters draw on the battery while in store mode, are there others? Mitigation steps to follow?

Thank you for your ideas or experiences!
BHage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
You have parasitic draw on the batteries; particularly the LP detector. Recommend putting on a battery disconnect switch. I assume you have AGMs. That should take care of your problem. But I would also recommend charging your batteries at least every month even with the disconnect switch. Do you have a generator? For longer term storage without electricity most take the batteries out and store them at home and either put them on a trickle charger or charge them once a month.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
You have parasitic draw on the batteries; particularly the LP detector. Recommend putting on a battery disconnect switch. I assume you have AGMs. That should take care of your problem. But I would also recommend charging your batteries at least every month even with the disconnect switch. Do you have a generator? For longer term storage without electricity most take the batteries out and store them at home and either put them on a trickle charger or charge them once a month.
Forgot about the detector draw.

Sounds like the battery disconnect switch will solve my issue. Yes, two AGM batteries on board. Would it mount to one of the Negitive posts on one of the batteries?

Any other parasites eating my batteries on the green button kill?
Old 09-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHage View Post

Sounds like the battery disconnect switch will solve my issue. Yes, two AGM batteries on board. Would it mount to one of the Negitive posts on one of the batteries?

It would be best (but probably overkill) to put a disconnect switch on each battery to prevent a weaker battery from discharging a stronger one. As an alternative, connect the two negative terminals together, put a disconnect switch on one, and move ALL negative wires to the other side of the disconnect switch.

On second thought (or maybe third) you may not be able to find a disconnect switch that will connect to the negative terminal while leaving the two batteries connected. If not, the two switch option comes into play.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
You need a disconnect on each negative post ie both batteries.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Seem right?

When in covered storage, no power source, no sun, green master switch by door is off, fuse to jack pulled (to hinder jack use):

Day one: Fully charged 12.9/13.0 volt battery
Day two: 12.4 volt on inverter monitor.

Seems like a lot of battery drain for 24 hours. Right?

I only know of inverters draw on the battery while in store mode, are there others? Mitigation steps to follow?

Thank you for your ideas or experiences!

Is inverter turned off? If not is has substantially more draw than the propane detector.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Illinois
Yes, I have not been turning it off separately when in the store mode. I’ll need look where I can disable the inverter when in covered storage, unless others know here.

Another good option idea!
Old 09-13-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
If you have any aftermarket accessories in your Airstream, then they may also cause a parasitic battery draw. For example, my weBoost cellular booster is hardwired and it remains powered, even when the main switch is set to “store”.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Battery Interruter Switch

Attached is a good article about the use and installation of an interrupter switch. It also explains why the switch should be on the negative cable side (many instruction videos suggest the positive). If you have a lithium battery you may also want to install a smart shunt at the same time. It also goes on the negative side.

https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/rv-...onnect-switch/
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:

Yes, probably. Radio presets, TV antenna, and subwoofer are all suspect. Battery kill switch is the way to go.

If you want to identify and understand your trailers electrical use, you should install a shunt based battery monitor, like a Victron 712.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
[QUOTE=BHage;2629743]Seem right?

If this is at Home or possibly a secure Storage Area:

Purchase a $99.00 Costco 100 watt Solar Panel with Controller. Run the wiring outside your home or if it can be secured to the roof of the Storage Area.

Two wires + / - to the Batteries.

Otherwise... remove the batteries, take them home and have them connected to a battery charger.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I did some testing on my '04 Classic and with master disconnect on and all appliances in the off setting, the draw was .1 of an amp. When the disconnect is set to off the draw was .01 of an amp (which I assume is the propane detector). Once you know the amp hour rating of your battery(ies), it's pretty each to know how long your trailer will last when in storage.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Depending on the inverter you have, it may well pull as much as 1/4 A even when turned off. There are lots of weird things here and there that pull current. As noted above, the only real answer is a full battery disconnect that switches the batteries fully out of the circuit. It can be in the negative or positive lead. It *must* deal with all the wires to the negative or positive post(s).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Battery disconnect switch solved my problem. Simple ,a few dollars fix. Two AGM batteries 22’ Bambi. Also watch out that your stereo is not powered on. My seems to power on every time I turn on/off the battery switch.
Rosie_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If your "short term storage" is a one time deal, you can simply remove the negative terminals and tape or cover them so they can't short. The negs are less likely to short because touching the metal won't do anything.
If storage will be a regular thing, then a dedicated battery disconnect is in order.
I went all in, while some folks use a switch at the terminals.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/blo...sconnect-3036/
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote