Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
Battery discharge while on shore power.

Hello and good day streamers. I am really confused as to why my batteries would discharge while plugged into shore power and maybe someone with more knowledge could help me out. Recently I had my trailer in the shop and they confirmed that the batteries and charge system were functioning correctly. The attached image is my current battery levels while connected to shore power. When we awoke this morning, the batteries were at around 12.8. Any thoughts? Our previous trailer (SOB) when plugged into shore power would always read between 13v - 14v. Thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190405_105233.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	337401  
JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
You need to flip the shore power switch. In one position while on shore power it charges the battery and powers the 120V side of the trailer. The other setting it just powers the 120V.
The indicator to me on my trailer when the batteries are charging on shore power is the voltage reads 13.8 or close all the time.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you read your owner's manual about the Use/Store switch, or whatever it is called in your model?

Per previous comment, that switch must be On [Use?] for the batteries to charge.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
Thanks for the replies and yes I have read the manuals and we are actively using the trailer, so of course the battery disconnect / store switch is on. I have not run a crossed a shore power switch unless you are referring to the battery disconnect / store switch.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
Additionally, everyone keeps telling me the batteries will only charge from shore power if the battery disconnect / store switch is on. But... straight from the manual states otherwise. Either I am getting bad information, or the manual is incorrect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery-disconnect.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	337424  
Old 04-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Well, it sounds like the converter has gone bad or been switched off somehow. Or a loose connection. Or blown polarity fuse on the converter. Can you check the converter output directly with a multimeter at the converter? Is there a 110 volt switch for the converter somewhere? Is the breaker to the converter okay? Can you hear the converter running? And you are about done if you do not get it diagnosed and fixed. If the battery store switch was in the wrong position or defective I do not think you would have any 12 volt power at all.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the replies, JakeS. Not sure what's up, as your 20' is different than our 2014 . . . above my pay grade at this point.

Suggest calling your dealer and the AS 800 number in your paperwork.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I would start by contacting whoever installed that aftermarket Zamp system, and ask them to check their work to make sure it is correctly connected, before proceeding further.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
Thanks all, I'm really at a loss and will have to start making some calls to corporate to figure this out. It's really getting frustrating. Attached is the voltages we woke up to and also pulled out the paperwork the dealer gave me during my last warranty work as proof the converter was charging fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190406_072846.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	337461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_085612.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	337462  

Old 04-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
St Tammany , Louisiana
I had that same issue. Mine was simply a tripped breaker. Hope yours is something simple as well.
ChipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If your solar charge controller is faulty and/or the blocking diode is defective it could allow the solar panels to drain the battery at night.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
I took the original picture at about 0730 and this new picture at 1004. I've only charged .1 volt in the last 2.5 hours. I only believe that was due to the storm breakup and a ray of sunshine for about 30 minutes to be honest. Yesterday, I did switch off all the breakers and checked all the 12v fuses. Unfortunately, I forgot to pack the multi-meter on this trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190406_100251.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	337464  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #13

2017 30' Classic
Hollidaysburg , Pennsylvania
Charge Fuses

Does your unit have charge fuses and if so they may have blown. The charge fuses on our 2017 Classic are in the breaker panel below the wardrobe.
4mjones4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not doubt your 12 volt converter was working. It may still be good. But if you are showing 12.2 while plugged into shore power you are not getting output from the converter to the 12 volt system for some reason. So I think that is where you need to be looking.

I do not know the new systems or solar. I camped next to a new Airstream last summer and the gentleman had a similar looking problem. He unplugged the trailer and drove it to a RV place who looked at it and said it is working fine. He came back to camp and it did work fine for the rest of the trip summer. Maybe he just did not want to say what was wrong? Maybe just unplugging the whole thing and plugging it back in will clear the problem?

Can you hear the converter fan? Can you feel the converter to see if it is warm? You can pick up a cheap meter at Ace or Walmari. If you stay much longer you are going to need a battery charger.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
I opened the cover of the converter and I can confirm that the fan has not kicked on since I've had the cover off. So I am assuming the converter is dead unless the fan doesn't run continuously. Without a multi-meter, it's really hard to confirm. However, I would like to thank everyone who has commented. It's really frustrating when the dealer tells you nothing is wrong and you get back out camping and you have the same issue you originally dropped it off at the dealer to fix....
Old 04-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most likely the converter fan does not run continuously but is on a thermostat. But at 12.2 on the batteries there ought to be draw on the converter and the fan ought to be working. I would check the breaker for the converter again. Of course if a fuse is blown on the load side of the converter then it is not under load and might not heat up enough for the fan. My converter (not the one Airstream uses) has a reverse polarity fuse on the end of the converter. If someone reversed the leads during testing or changing batteries that could be blown. Or shorted a lead with the converter on.

Just another thought: My converter also has a LED on the end of it that indicates it is powered. Do you see anything like a lit or a dead LED on yours?
Old 04-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Onekama , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
Additionally, everyone keeps telling me the batteries will only charge from shore power if the battery disconnect / store switch is on. But... straight from the manual states otherwise. Either I am getting bad information, or the manual is incorrect.
I believe the manual is incorrect.

I have a new 2019 FC 30' Twin. Mine keeps tripping outlet GFCI's when plugged (into a GFCI outlet at the house or the dealership) and the local dealer could not figure it out. It is now at JC for them to diagnose.

In talking to the service writer at JC I told him that the batteries and converter were replaced by the dealer because the batteries would not hold a charge. I told him that I had them on shore power since getting it back from the dealer. He asked if the battery disconnect switch was off or on. I told him off, because the manual says it will charge either way. He said no, only if the switch is on. I told him what the manual said. He said only if the switch is on. I was very clear. He was very clear.

I was very surprised by the answer, but going forward I will leave the disconnect switch on when storing on shore power between trips and pull them when in storage long term.
bickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Thanks all, I'm really at a loss and will have to start making some calls to corporate to figure this out. It's really getting frustrating. Attached is the voltages we woke up to and also pulled out the paperwork the dealer gave me during my last warranty work as proof the converter was charging fine.
Hi JakeS,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 04-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi JakeS,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Thanks for the response. The dealer agreed to see me the day before we leave on our next trip next week. Hopefully it will be an easy resolution and we'll be on our way. However, a few comments from the top, I posted a picture of the manual where it states that the batteries will charge on shore power regardless of the disconnect / store switch. Are you able to confirm if the manual is correct or incorrect for a 2018 FC20 since their seems to be a lot of debate on this issue?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for the response. The dealer agreed to see me the day before we leave on our next trip next week. Hopefully it will be an easy resolution and we'll be on our way. However, a few comments from the top, I posted a picture of the manual where it states that the batteries will charge on shore power regardless of the disconnect / store switch. Are you able to confirm if the manual is correct or incorrect for a 2018 FC20 since their seems to be a lot of debate on this issue?
I know it depends on the model and year. On my FC 2017, the switch has to be in the on position to charge the batteries.

Have you checked the breaker for the converter? Have you confirmed that you actually have shore power coming into your AS? An EMS can prevent power from reaching your converter if there is a problem with the shore power.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote